MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with spring changes, anyone have an idea of how long my M&P will last? How long until its too clapped out to remain accurate or reliable?

Always wondered this...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Glocks are in service after 10's of thousands of rounds.

I'm not sure there is a defined service life if a weapon is cared for and not abused.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always look at the life of a gun like this: You buy a handgun for $500.00. Depending on ammo cost 10,000 rounds for the cheapest factory ammo in 9mm is approximately $ 1300.00. If you shoot 20,000 rounds in a handgun and spend $2600 on ammo and then need to replace the gun, what is $500.00 vs. $2600.00?

Regarding your question.......the gun will last far longer than the $ put into ammo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
9mmdude said:
I always look at the life of a gun like this: You buy a handgun for $500.00. Depending on ammo cost 10,000 rounds for the cheapest factory ammo in 9mm is approximately $ 1300.00. If you shoot 20,000 rounds in a handgun and spend $2600 on ammo and then need to replace the gun, what is $500.00 vs. $2600.00?

Regarding your question.......the gun will last far longer than the $ put into ammo.
This is the way I see it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see your point, I was just wondering since I am looking to do some custom work to my gun, and I wanted to know if it'd be wasted on a clapped out pistol in a few years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a theory that a plastic pistol may outlast all steel as the frame will give rather than crack. I've never personally known anyone who wore out any firearm. I'm sure they exist, but for the *average* shooter, most pistols will last two (or more) lifetimes.

Proper maintenance helps a lot. Then again, it may be like the guy who was bragging about his ax. "Yup, this has been a good 'un. Been thru two heads and three handles."

Go ahead - pimp it out then shoot the snot out of it. If you wear it out, that's just the cost of doing business. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have a Glock 19 with well over 70,000 rounds through it. I have changed the recoil spring once. It is 100% reliable and shows no real wear. With todays quality guns if they are good to start with most folks will never wear the base gun out. CHECK 360 David Bowie

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a G17 made in August 1989.

I lost count on rounds fired, It's still a very competitive gun in USPSA Production!!

Y

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Polymer pistols will last a good long time. Using glocks as an example, the only ones having issues are ones issued to cold weather troops after 25 years. The harsh cold and high expusure to UV are about the worst case scenario for a polymer framed pistol.

On the flip side, you have vp70z pistols from H&K that are from the 70s in private owners' hands that still run just fine.

It's pretty much barrels and springs and other wear items as you wear them out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
So, with spring changes, anyone have an idea of how long my M&P will last? How long until its too clapped out to remain accurate or reliable?

Always wondered this...

You will be clapped out long before the gun is clapped out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an old Interarms (1999) Walther P99 with over 8000 rounds through it…

It shoots as well, if not better than it used to. Then again, it’s a serious fluke cause the thing looks like its not had more than 50 or 100 rounds tops through it… not sure why.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts