MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot the Carolina Cup last weekend in Oxford, North Carolina. As usual, it was well attended and very much fun. What really impressed me was the presence of the M&P and the sheer numbers of them. I myself shot the Cup with a M&P 9mm and managed to squeek out a 4th place finish in ESP/SS. My shooting buddy, who won his M&P40 in a drawing at the Cup last year, won SSP/MM with it this year.

The Glock has always ruled the roost in IDPA, especially in SSP and ESP. The M&P was so common this year that I saw almost as many of them in shooters' holsters as I saw Glocks, a lot of them being shot by former Glock shooters. Ernie Langdon, as usual, won his division and classification (CDP/MA this year), this time with a M&P45.

I think the M&P is here to stay, and S&W finally seems to be getting some respect in IDPA and among serious shooters everywhere.

I am very pleased.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I squeaked out 5th MM/SSP with an M&P9. Landric, do you shoot the regular matches at Franks? I try to make both matches each month.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try and make one a month, I never seem to be able to make both. It is pretty dependent on my schedule month to month.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wouldn't the S&W M&P be a "SSP" pistol? ESP is for the "single action" (ie 1911, BHP, cocked-and-locked CZ, for some stupid reason the XDs, etc) pistols.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
politegunner said:
Wouldn't the S&W M&P be a "SSP" pistol? ESP is for the "single action" (ie 1911, BHP, cocked-and-locked CZ, for some stupid reason the XDs, etc) pistols.

One can shoot the M&P in SSP. Any pistol that can be shot in SSP can be shot in ESP, just not vice versa. Since my M&P9 is not tricked out in any way, I might be at somewhat of an equipment disadvantage in the eyes of some. I don't worry about it.

I shoot in ESP with my M&P because I want to move up to EX in ESP before I start shooting in SSP again. I'm classified Expert in SSP, Sharpshooter in ESP and CDP, and Marksman in SSR. I want to move up a class in each before I go back to competing in SSP again. I wonder how long that will take?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congratulations on some good shooting.

I attended my first IDPA match yesterday. I didn't shoot, I just wanted to check it out and see what equipment was being used and to get a feel for IDPA. The group seemed friendly and it looks like this would be fun and benificial for developing and maintaining handgun skills. There was quiet a varity of guns, including a couple of M&Ps.

I will be shooting my first match in two weeks with my MP9.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The XD is ESP cuzz it's a single action pistol.

Pulling the XD trigger performs the single action of releasing the fully cocked striker.

The Glock/M&P don't feel that different, but they are. Pulling the trigger performs the double action of fully cocking the partially cocked striker and releasing it.

Maybe they need different divisions? SA, DAO, SA/DA hammer fired and SA, DA, DAO striker fired?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the Glock and M&P really belong in SSP, regardless of the fact that they are technically DAO. In my opinion, SSP should be reserved for true DA/SA or DAO pistols, not the striker fired "DAOs" with single-action trigger weights and reset.

I don't expect to see that change, but it would be nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Landric,

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the Cup.

I took 2nd place ESP/SS and got bumped to EX with an M&P9.

My wife and I had to leave as soon as I finished shooting on Sunday and weren't able to stay for the awards ceremony. We had a long drive back home to Lexington, KY, and she had to be at work the next morning.

Congratulations on finishing in 4th place. The Carolina Cup is always the best (and toughest) match I shoot all year.

--Lin

·
Registered
63 Posts
I shot SSP last night in a weekly IDPA match at the local range. First time I'd shot IDPA in 5 years. I was a little rusty, but ended up with only 2 C shots out of 12 targets. (This is a small course). My M&P40 worked flawlessly even though my hands did not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For those of you shooting the M&P9, what ammo were you using? I'm trying to figure out if there is a problem with the M&P9 and WWB. Non scientific of course, just general shooter experience. If you shoot WWB, have you experienced any failures to extract. I mean, a spent casing actually left in the chamber?

TIA

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I just shot my M&P40 in SSP class for the first time. 2nd place first time out. Of course my Glock 17 usually gets me first, but this was the M&P's first time at bat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
TIA
For those of you shooting the M&P9, what ammo were you using? I'm trying to figure out if there is a problem with the M&P9 and WWB. Non scientific of course, just general shooter experience. If you shoot WWB, have you experienced any failures to extract. I mean, a spent casing actually left in the chamber?

TIA

I have shot some 12,000 rounds of winchester white box through my m&ps there were no failures to extract. Actually no problems at all except for two mashed rounds (from the factory) that could not feed

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gtmtnbiker98 said:

TIA

I use either WWB or handloads for IDPA. I've never had a single malfunction with any of my M&Ps. WWB runs fine in both my M&P9 full-size pistols and my 9c.

My 5906TSW doesn't like Remington UMC and has FTE failures with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wish I could have made the Carolina Cups but I had to limit myself to two sanctioned matches this year - the VA Indoor Regionals and the Commonwealth Cup. I shot the Carolina Cup in '05 and can say it is one of the best matches you will ever attend. As for the M&P in IDPA, I'm shooting SSP by choice but certain modifications to the gun (like some grip modifications) will land you in ESP whether you like it or not. Nothing against any who choose to have those mods done and/or shoot the M&P in ESP, but I think the gun is excellent right out of the box and have only replaced the front post with a Dawson Precision fiber optic. (yeah, I hear Mr. Burwell's trigger job calling)

I'm not nearly up to the 12k mark with my M&P9, but since I got it in December, I'm pushing 3,000 rounds of nothing but WWB and have no complaints with that ammo. I've done exceptionally well with it in matches and that's what I got it for - competition. Maybe some day I'll dip my toe into USPSA.

-Boris

·
Registered
269 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:

TIA

reloads with oregon trail and mixed brass/primers winchester 231 powder

·
Registered
115 Posts
Boris said:
Maybe some day I'll dip my toe into USPSA.

-Boris

Boris.. First Sunday at Fredericksburg.. let me know if you want to go to the match, i'll sign you up
You can even ride up with Chip and I..

Last match was 7 stages, about 150 rounds..

Been trying to come back and shoot some IDPA at BC.. but just been busy..

Mouse.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts