MP-Pistol Forum banner

The More I shoot it the more I love it

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BateleurRGB 
#1 ·
At the range this weekend my M&P 9 fullsize seemed to finally break in. I have about 800 rounds through it. Was having problems shooting low left, but resolved that after changing my grip. It seems the more I shoot it the better it feels. the trigger has smoothed out nicely and my groups are getting closer.My only problem is that when I go to my local range, people always want to hold it or shoot it. i have two friends that have recently purchased a M&P after shooting mine. Maybe Smith & Wesson could send me a couple of free mags for my commission.

#4 ·
Did your low left get better only because of the new grip style or because of all the working in the trigger (after 800 rounds). Last time I shot my new 9mm fullsize (second time at range with it) I too had problems with low left to point I thought I had bad sights. What really puzzled me is that if it was my grip then why was I shooting fine with the M&P 40 I rented at the same range prior to buying my 9mm which I have problem getting right on. Can the warn in trigger (on rental) play a part between the two guns? I need to go back to the range. I got discouraged of being off so much when all other guns I shot I was always on.

#5 ·
I had low left problems with my M&P 40 right out of the box as well. After having a trigger job done my groups are centered and about half the previous size. In my limited experience, low and left is usually a function of trigger control although there are other possible causes. My solution is to buy or reload a bunch of ammo, go to the range, and focus on gently pressing the trigger straight back. I don't know if that will always work for everybody but it did for me.

#8 ·
tjperry67 said:
I had low left problems with my M&P 40 right out of the box as well. After having a trigger job done my groups are centered and about half the previous size. In my limited experience, low and left is usually a function of trigger control although there are other possible causes. My solution is to buy or reload a bunch of ammo, go to the range, and focus on gently pressing the trigger straight back. I don't know if that will always work for everybody but it did for me.

Strange. The first time I shot an M&P .40, I was grouping low left as well. Good, tight groups, but low left to the point at which I thought the sights were out of alignment.

Later in that same shooting session, my groups started to migrate right to where they were supposed to be. That was only maybe 200 rounds later.

Maybe there is something about the M&P grip or trigger that just takes getting used to? It seems plausible considering how many people have reported the same symptom when they first shot it. Whatever it was, at least it didn't take me long to adapt. And when I picked up my own M&P (the first one I shot was someone else's) the groups were centered as well.

#11 ·
I'm left-handed and I tend to pull my shots with the M&P low right. However the first 2-3 shots are dead on for each fresh magazine. Looking at a shooter's correction target as a left-handed shooter I am tightening my fingers or jerking or slapping trigger. For a right-handed shooter it is the same but on the opposite side. With my Glock and 1911, both with trigger jobs, I am spot on. I'm guessing I just need to wear in the trigger or get a trigger job.

This drill will also help. Bruce Gray is a fantastic instructor.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1039847599

#12 ·
siglock2340 said:
I'm left-handed and I tend to pull my shots with the M&P low right. However the first 2-3 shots are dead on for each fresh magazine. Looking at a shooter's correction target as a left-handed shooter I am tightening my fingers or jerking or slapping trigger. For a right-handed shooter it is the same but on the opposite side. With my Glock and 1911, both with trigger jobs, I am spot on. I'm guessing I just need to wear in the trigger or get a trigger job.

This drill will also help. Bruce Gray is a fantastic instructor.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1039847599

Wow, that looks really interesting. I think I'll try that the next time I go to the range. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.