MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I would share what I have been reading with the rest of you in case you have not seen it already. The Manchin Toomey bill is suppose to be introduced tomorrow. There is NO weapon banned and NO magazine limit. It does have increased back ground checks for gun shows and on line sales but (and this will tick a few of you off) I see more good than bad. Your CCW will work in place of a back ground check. You will be able to buy hand guns across state lines if I read it right, protection from law suit if an individual has a back ground check done before making a private sale. Read it and see what you think. Now if they can just keep idiots from adding stupid amendments it might work. I am not excited about it but I was expecting much worse.

http://www.manchin.senate.gov/publi...?File_id=31db32d6-a5b2-4839-8bd4-5d87d4e2b2f2

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought we already had to pass background checks for on-line sales. I do. How would that be different?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought we already had to pass background checks for on-line sales. I do. How would that be different?
The difference is that if you buy a gun on-line from out side your home state you have to have a back ground check and pick the gun up at a local FFL. If you buy on-line from with in your state (intrastate) you don't have to use an FFL and (just one of many things I didn't know) can avoid a back ground check.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are we talking about used guns or new? I don't know of any way to buy a new gun without a background check.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are we talking about used guns or new? I don't know of any way to buy a new gun without a background check.
I am in the same boat you are in that I thought all internet sales had to be sent to an FFL but I am thinking it is referring to used guns (non FFL) for sale on-line in your home state. I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining it at the link above. In my mind there are away more things in this that are a plus rather than a negative with this bill and intrastate back ground checks is one of the more minor things that are a negative.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any change, big or small, towards registration and total confiscation is a bad thing in my book. Compromises and appeasements are bad. I guess they can't always be avoided though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Any change, big or small, towards registration and total confiscation is a bad thing in my book. Compromises and appeasements are bad. I guess they can't always be avoided though.
I agree, anything that even smells like registration is not a good thing. So far, I do not get a whiff of it in this bill. Anything can change, do not trust these jackholes. They like to "gut and stuff" passed bills, this one would be ripe for such action.

Besides, it must be a good bill, the libs don't like it: Bill Maher: "The Second Amendment Is [email protected]*&!%#"

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't trust anything they do. Even the most seemingly innocuous proposal will likely be a mess by the time it gets through all the amendments that will get attached, compromises they make, etc. You can most assuredly bet there will be something negative towards second amendment rights in it in the end.

There is a reason why in Texas we only allow the state legislature to convene once every two years. They can do less damage!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
They try to make it look like a give and take: They limit it to a 2 day wait when the NICS fails to do it's job, instead of 3 days, then they stick their nose into private sales... NOT a good deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here in MA you to your town's police department fill out an extensive questionaire, get fingerprinted and a background check is done. 8 weeks later, as long as you are clean, you get your CCW. Each town is different of course and some do not issue a CCW ever. Once you have your card, gun purchases are same day, no waiting period. I see no downside with the fact that I underwent a thorough background check and any number of things disqualify someone from obtaining a permit. I don't see it as a bad thing. We also have a 10 round magazine capacity limit, a 10lb trigger pull and the 1994 assault weapons ban in place.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Anything that gives the Feds mor information about law abiding citizens and makes it easier for a future registration process is a bad idea.

·
Registered
277 Posts
While nationwide reciprocity sounds nice, doesn't that mean the federal government is control then and not the state and county sheriff's?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
While nationwide reciprocity sounds nice, doesn't that mean the federal government is control then and not the state and county sheriff's?
Much like driver's licenses, the state still issues them to folks who meet their standards (and pass the NICS test)..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nationwide CCW would be a huge win. The additional background check requirements are minimal since almost all of us are already ID'd by having made a purchase from an FFL, from a CCW application, club and organization memberships etc. Appeasment does not work, but neither does being a stubborn hardliner. To make gains in politics there is usually some give and take, and a well written background check law is a pretty small thing to give up if we get something valuable in return.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Also in the tentative bill, CCW holders don't need background checks, just like it used to be here in OR. Another win in my book.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Until the left screws it up, and they will, I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

SHOCK VIDEO: GUN RIGHTS ADVOCATE’S STAFF HELPED WRITE BACKGROUND CHECK BILL
If you folks aren't looking at this video you really need to. Let just hope the amendments are kept to a minimum because the more I hear the more I believe we get huge gains and pretty much stop any chance of using back ground checks to start any kind of registration, a protection you don't have now. A few other pluses, you don't need a background check if you have a
CCW, you can buy a hand gun from an FFL when you are out of your home state, protection for Veterans, shortening up some time frames currently on the books. And for this we give up the right to by a gun on line or from a private party at a gun show without a check. Some of you express that you would rather give up all gains in the bill because you would have to have a background check at a gun show. I personally think you need to pull your head out. These are some huge gains and I look for more in the future.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you folks aren't looking at this video you really need to. Let just hope the amendments are kept to a minimum because the more I hear the more I believe we get huge gains and pretty much stop any chance of using back ground checks to start any kind of registration, a protection you don't have now. A few other pluses, you don't need a background check if you have a
CCW, you can buy a hand gun from an FFL when you are out of your home state, protection for Veterans, shortening up some time frames currently on the books. And for this we give up the right to by a gun on line or from a private party at a gun show without a check. Some of you express that you would rather give up all gains in the bill because you would have to have a background check at a gun show. I personally think you need to pull your head out. These are some huge gains and I look for more in the future.
Do you really think that after all of the mass shootings and gun grab ploys of the Democrats-gone-wild, we're going to see a bill pass that gives us all the wins the guy in the video talks about? If it does, there is something in there that the lefties like more than gunshow background checks. Even if it is true, it will not be signed into law like it is. Do you really think that we're going to trade gunshow background checks for all of that other stuff? I guess we'll find out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts