MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I would make a build thread or mini journal as I modify my M&P9 Fullsize. My goal is to make the perfect M&P (for me) and spare no time/money on doing the best quality modifications I can.

I'd be happy to answer any questions on the parts/process.

Mod List:
M&P9 Fullsize (Jan 2013 Build)
ATEI Top Serrations (with fresh Melonite coating)
APEX Tactical Comp AEK (with stock trigger return spring)
APEX Tactical Polymer AEK Trigger (when available)
APEX Tactical Fitted Barrel (when available)
APEX Tactical Universal RAM (when available)
Gold Titanium Nitride Barrel Coating (by Freedom Gunworks)
Warren Tactical Sights (Plain Rear / Fiber Optic Front)
Fully Polished Internals
Stream Light TLR1-HL

So, here we go!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Stock M&P9

APEX Comp AEK

Polishing up the APEK kit

APEK kit fully polished

Sear housing block disassembled

Polished up and ready for reassembly

Sear Housing Block bling

Polishing up the trigger bar and striker

Stock feed ramp

Polished up feed ramp

Warren Tactical Sights

Bare slide, ready to send off to ATEI

·
Registered
80 Posts
what polishing compound are you using?
+1

haven't tried polishing any of the moving parts or the feed ramps on any of my pistols, will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Might want to polish up the top half of the USB while you're at it, that's another friction point. It'd be nice if we could polish up the striker block's recess. We cleaned one up and coated it with NP3+, along with the sear/locking blocks, slightly thinner FRE (to account for the NP3+ thickness), and guide rod. Slicker than snot and real quiet, but we put a drop of Weapon Shield on those 7 points anyway. Add the ESP magwell and magazine extensions, we've got a real keeper here.

We may have parts under NDAs, otherwise I'd be posting pictures.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice job!!! What's up with the sear deactivation lever? At least that's what I think it is. It looks like a lot of junk or do I dare say rust on it. It's in the 5th pic. I love my FS9 and eventually I will get the nerve to do some of the stuff you are doing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what polishing compound are you using?
BlueMagic 400 Metal Polish Cream - 7 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Works insanely well, also leaves a nice slick coating on the parts.

Might want to polish up the top half of the USB while you're at it, that's another friction point. It'd be nice if we could polish up the striker block's recess. We cleaned one up and coated it with NP3+, along with the sear/locking blocks, slightly thinner FRE (to account for the NP3+ thickness), and guide rod. Slicker than snot and real quiet, but we put a drop of Weapon Shield on those 7 points anyway. Add the ESP magwell and magazine extensions, we've got a real keeper here.

We may have parts under NDAs, otherwise I'd be posting pictures.
Great tip. I will polish up the top half of the USB when I get a chance.

Nice job!!! What's up with the sear deactivation lever? At least that's what I think it is. It looks like a lot of junk or do I dare say rust on it. It's in the 5th pic. I love my FS9 and eventually I will get the nerve to do some of the stuff you are doing.
It is a strange yellow coating that flakes off insanely easily. Similar to the blue coating on the tip of the recoil spring assembly. It gets rough and gritty, so I simply wet sanded it, then polished it off.

·
Site Staff
9,628 Posts
Yeah, that's the yellow paint they put on at the factory, it looks like the part is chrome plated and the paint doesn't adhere very well because of the plating. Probably the yellow paint is on there for new owners till they become familiar with the parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Subscribed!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New toy came in today. I will be setting up a way for you guys to rent the tool for a week.

·
Registered
147 Posts
looks awesome! Nice pictures BTW....must be into photography as well?! Do you use this in competition? How does it do? Are you putting in the fitted barrel because of accuracy issues?

·
Registered
879 Posts
+1 Nice set up!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks awesome! Nice pictures BTW....must be into photography as well?! Do you use this in competition? How does it do? Are you putting in the fitted barrel because of accuracy issues?
I have not fired this gun yet. I have never had any accuracy or reliability issues with any of my M&Ps. I simply want to add the APEX fitted barrel for kicks. It also doesn't hurt to know that the gun is as accurate as it can be. That said, I am not the kind of person that likes to blame my firearms for bad accuracy. It is almost always shitty trigger control.

+1 Nice set up!
Thanks!

--------------

I also picked up this M&P9 compact while I wait for the slidework from ATEI. Already polished all the internals and threw an APEX kit in it. I probably wont do much more to it.

(cellphone pic)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice polish job. After I do a polish of internals I coat everything with Sentry Solutions Smooth-Kote dry lube and then buff in their B2000 dry powder. This puts a coating on the parts so they can not rust and makes for a very slick surface that I just run with out any
additional lube.
Sentry Solutions: Smooth-Kote - 2 oz. jar

·
Registered
12 Posts
DUDE! You're my hero! Polishing your gun parts on your wife's white carpet?!

For small polishing goodies, check out Widget Supply I think I spotted this place on a Ruger forum.

My LCP had significant machining grooves on the feed ramp that ran counter to the direction of a feeding bullet. I took a quarter sheet of 600 wet & dry, rolled it up to about the size of a pencil, put a small rubber band around around one end to keep it rolled, put a few drops of oil on the other end, and ran it across the feed ramp in the direction of a feeding bullet. Within two minutes.......smooth and shiny.....machine grooves all gone.

I haven't tried it yet as the weather here in Maine this time of year - sucks. But mid next week, on a sunny day, I'll find out if the smoothing helped the feed problem.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts