MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard the saying for awhile, so I will put it to the test. I like the ambi-safety, especially with a wife that doesn't know much abot guns and only let me buy it because it had the safety. my question is can I make it a left-side safety only, I want to put the new crimson trace grips on it when they come out, and they don't work for the ambi-safety. If there is a way, it would be tight, if not...I don't get a laser

·
Registered
910 Posts
I lost all respect and stopped reading when you said your wife let you buy it.

Oh man I kid I kid.
I'm sure there's a way. Perhaps a better place for this would be in the M&P Smith Work forum? Or perhaps not. Anyways, I'm sure it can probably be done somehow. Maybe try asking some of the guys around here that work on the M&P's daily. Dan Burwell, David Bowie, Ronnie at boom-boom tactical, etc. they may be able to assist you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha. well she is 4 months pregenant, so wha mama says goes. I try to avoid the mood swings from hell if at all possible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
one thing to always remember!!!

It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.8)

Wife has no say in what i want to do, as i have no say in what she wants to do.

no but really, i understand the pregnant thing.... good luck with that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Certainly talk to any of the great gunsmiths on this forum which already been mentioned, but I think you can just remove the safety and take a good pair of clippers to the side you want to remove. It shouldn't affect the function of the safety at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FBCSO said:
I've heard the saying for awhile, so I will put it to the test. I like the ambi-safety, especially with a wife that doesn't know much abot guns and only let me buy it because it had the safety. my question is can I make it a left-side safety only, I want to put the new crimson trace grips on it when they come out, and they don't work for the ambi-safety. If there is a way, it would be tight, if not...I don't get a laser

My suggestions are that you get with someone who knows about pistols/shooting and maybe take a shooting course, then make a decision about the above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second the opinion on taking a few courses and talking to a lawyer before you remove one side or the other of the ambi safety. My last IDPA run, we had to shoot one handed, both left and right. I, having a M&P with no safety, it was not a big deal. The 1911 guys had several issues left handed. This is an informal league mainly with emphasis on tactical not IDPA.

I would really prefer an ambi safety on my MP9c,; we all have brain farts and little kids might be the recipient of a screw up. I hope a safety might be standard issue in the next year or two. Glocks can be retofitted with a safety by some gunsmithing. Smith, how about you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they taught us some tac shooting in the academy, I just the laser would be very useful in a night situation if I pulled someone over and got into a quick fire-fight. I've asked a few people at work about laser grips and they liked them...my Sgt recommended night sights and practice shooting at night before I "blew $200 of my hard earned money".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts