MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the Sub said, I'm thinking about joining the Guard. Now understand, I'm in my 30's with a family. I don't particularly agree with my government all the time, but I'm old enough to understand that there are wiser heads than mine out there and some of them happen to be in government by some cosmic fluke. I don't particularly have a problem with authority, or you could say that I grew out of it. Or most of it.

Some of you on this forum, from what I've read, can understand where I'm at and coming from. I want to serve, but I don't want to lose everything that I've worked for. I'm a contractor, and deployment would hurt business, but not really kill it. Some of my clients are pretty loyal and would wait for my great service. Some won't. Just like anything, you've got to have some faith in the future.

What I want is some straight talk here. I've heard what recruiters have to say. What I want is some honest opinions and info. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who's a Dr. at the local VA, but I'd like some of ya'll's opinions on where things are going now, and maybe some leads on more real info. Most of what I can find from my searches are PR sites.

Any info, stories, ideas would be helpful. I'm trying to go into this decision with my eyes as open as I can manage. To be honest, Service is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. You could say it's a Family tradition, as is 21B.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
A proud decision, but I persoanlly think you would be better supporting the troops. As you said, you have a business, a family and a deployment would hurt your business. I think you basically stated where your head is, so keep it there in your business and family. You can support or nation by simply supporting it. You dont have to catch bullets, or be a combat engineer as you had an interest. You will get deployed for 15 months, no matter if your in the guard, or reserve or active duty. It is the matter of how we are using units to in rotation. Again, I applaud your initiative, but in my opinion, support the troops in other ways. Another reason, not that you couldn't, but your 30+ and your body will be asked to do things it never has before and sometimes you become more of a liability than asset.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree with Morgan on this one. The deployments are little fun when you're single with few worries about life. When you have a wife and family things are different. Especially since you and your wife have probably never been seperated for such a great length of time nor has she ever seriously worried about you being injured or killed. As much as it pains me to say the military is not the friendliest thing in regards to marriage or personal problems. If your family undergoes some difficult time it'll more than likely have to be without you. But I applaud you on your ambition and pride. One thing that I know a lot of guys really like is being invited to someones house for the holidays. Depending on where you live you probably have some sort of military facility near by. See if they have an adopt a sailor/soldier/marine/airman for the holiday. Thanks again for wanting to serve your country American's like you make me proud to do what I do. However as Morgan stated there are many ways to serve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could you name one in this administration???

"there are wiser heads than mine out there and some of them happen to be in government"

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Fire1 said:
Thanks again for wanting to serve your country American's like you make me proud to do what I do. However as Morgan stated there are many ways to serve.
100% it is people like you who make it that much easier getting on a plane heading to combat
If you have a motorcycle hobby I highly suggest you jump on board with the patriot guard riders I respect those guys so much they are such a big influence to the comforts of the family members
there are many ways to show your support if you go to a guard unit your primary job may be a combat engineer but your secondary could be a driver and you dont want to get deployed as a truck driver. keep doing what you are doing. thanks for your support it goes a lot further than you think 8)

·
Registered
282 Posts
101, are you heading over? You be sure to keep your head down and tell all your fellow mil. we ALL appreciate them and the service they are doing. Pay no attention to the stuipd poles, they are not asking the true American people.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
dralarms said:
101, are you heading over? You be sure to keep your head down and tell all your fellow mil. we ALL appreciate them and the service they are doing. Pay no attention to the stuipd poles, they are not asking the true American people.
not at all I meant that when I got on a plane September 25th 2005 :wink: and safely got home September 24th 2006 But thanks for the sentiment

·
Registered
282 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
[quote name='dralarms']101, are you heading over? You be sure to keep your head down and tell all your fellow mil. we ALL appreciate them and the service they are doing. Pay no attention to the stuipd poles, they are not asking the true American people.
not at all I meant that when I got on a plane September 25th 2005 :wink: and safely got home September 24th 2006 But thanks for the sentiment[/quote]

Thank you for your service any way. I wished I could have joined you guy's but I'm over the hill as far as the military is concerned, (lucky for me my wif edoesn't think so. :twisted: ).

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am in the Guard, prior service 11C (Infantry) currently 15T (Aviation) as a Crew Chief on a Blackhawk.

I copied and pasted some of this from another forum that I posted in response to a similar question, as it relates and sums up my opinions nicely.

I look at it like this: You put up with all the bullsh!t (oh my god is there a ton of bs in the military) for the privilege to serve your country. For the opportunity to protect what matters most in a time of need. The country won't always need you, and you have to wade through a lot of crap to stay, but god forbid they ever do need you, your there rock steady for your country.

This war? It's not WWII, but we made our bed now we must lay in it. But you push through the BS deployments to be there in a true time of need. I don't mind going (hell i volunteered for this tour) because if i don't go, some poor schmuck with 2 kids and a wife might have to go, taking a pay cut from his 80k a year job (remember I'm in the reserves) to the Army's salary of 60+-k dollars. I'm 22 and the biggest thing for me is making a girlfriend of 6 months wait for me and putting college on hold. You go because the more soldiers over there the safer each individual soldier is. The more soldiers that WANT to be there the safer each individual soldier is AND the mission is likely more successful.

My situation is unique because I am in a flight company so instead of turning wrenches I fly as a crew chief on a blackhawk. My job description formerly is maintaining the UH60 aircraft (a mechanic if you will), but as a crew chief in a flight company my "job" is to be the eyes and ears of the aircraft during flight, direct the pilot during missions, provide aircraft and force protection with my 240H machine gun, maintain the aircraft's situational awareness, and assist with loading unloading of troops, cargo, ect to include sling load operations (lifting equipment using slings and the helicopter). I also do computations during flight to calculate fuel consumption and other tasks that the pilots would have trouble doing while flying.

First and fore most: I love my job and consider myself to be extremely lucky to be in the position I am in. A crew slot in a flight company is much sought after.

Enlisting in the Army is a big step, but if you know what options are available to you BEFORE you see the recruiter, you can NOT get "Screwed" or lied to. There was not a single thing my recruiter told me that I did not already know. All that was left for him to do was put the papers in front of me and sign my name. I had conducted the research, spoken with soldiers, and worked out the way to maximize my contract and bonuses.

If you join the military you will PROBABLY be deployed, there is a slim chance you won't, but its best to just come to terms and assume that you will. I am personally okay with this idea. If I don't go, someone else has to, and I feel an obligation deeper then "because the president told me to". This is a personal thing and one has to look inside themselves and make the decision for themselves. I have no kids, no wife, my job is secure when I come back, I look at deployment as an opportunity, not a hindrance.

Take someone with you who has recently enlisted (last 3-5 years) to help you sort things out with a recruiter. My room mate is currently in the process of enlisting and I am helping him through the options, acronyms, situations, ect. I WILL get 2k dollars for this, but I told him up front "if that bothers you, I won't put you in for G-RAP" (A guard recruiting program that pays the soldier that signs you up to meet with a recruiter). I explained to him how it worked, made it clear where my loyalties lay, and he was fine with it. He trusts me. You should trust your "buddy" who is helping you there the enlistment process too. Just be aware that there are incentives for even your run of the mill soldiers to get you to join (at least for the National Guard).

Whats most important is not what does the military give you, but what you give to your country. If you do not feel a compulsion to serve, if you do not bring the mindset and willingness to take the SOULS of the enemy, you may want to reconsider. Every service member should have the willingness to take the fight to the enemy, regardless if he is a knuckle dragging grunt or a clean-finger nailed para legal in an office. If you don't feel this, you may very well feel conflicted or upset come game time and orders to Iraq/Afghanistan/future conflict.

I can not speak for the air force, only the Army, and for that the guard...but we have a lot to offer IF you've already come to terms with the idea of war and the role of the military, and your own role within it as a soldier. Army national guard aviation has FULL TIME positions available for technicians. I know, but its the guard, that's supposed to be one weekend a month, two weeks a year. The army hires people its already paid to train in a given job skill as a full time civilian to work at the hanger, and then you get to drill on top of it. This is optional, but the pay, benefits, and job security are excellent. Even if you already have a full time job, if you lose it, ADSW or technician work can be had. Army aviation also offers a lot of lateral movement if you get bored with a given MOS/job.

Just remember, no amount of bonus money and benefits will help you come to terms with being deployed, taken from your family and the "real world" for a year, if you are not at ease with the idea to begin with.

The Army, frankly, has the highest bonuses, of that the Army National Guard, has the most benefits because they draw money from both the state and federal government. Money is fleeting. Don't get sucked in by bonus figures.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also, its a calling. Nobody joined the military to get rich.....well, nobody bright anyways.

If it burns inside you, we won't have to talk you into it, and nobody will be able to talk you out of it. The military simply offers you opportunity to make sacrifices (both your own and your families, don't forget this) to serve the greater good of your nation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This might be a unique thing to California, but I am not sure... and I don't know your state.

Anyway, here in sunny CA, we have something called the CA State Military Reserve. Mandatory drills are few and far between, troops can't be deployed over state lines (or at least not overseas) but is associated with the CA Army/Air Guard. They help in training the Guard, assisting in natural disaster relief, search/rescue, etc.

I think it is a great thing for people wanting to serve in some way, but don't want, for one reason or another, to assume certain risks involved with other types of enlistment.

Like I said, not sure if this is offered in other states, but if it is, may be a good option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate everyone's responses, both positive and negative, and I thank you guys who are presently serving both for your service, and for taking the time to give me your opinion.

Near as I can tell, deployment is almost a certainty, particularly in my state. To my surprise, that didn't bother me all that much. I talked to a friend of mine in the Navy Reserves and he said he kept most of his clients, but then he's a geologist in Oklahoma.

To be honest with all of you, the benefits don't really matter all that much either. It'd be nice to have affordable health care. $500 a month is a heck of a lot better than $1880 through the Builder's Assc. here local. But even that doesn't really matter a great deal. And it would be nice to have free tuition and state schools, but I've got a career.

It's more about what my son sees when he looks at me, and what I see when I look in the mirror. That's about the best that I can explain it.

I do worry that I'll be a liability, but to be honest with you, that's not really my decision. All I can do is the best that I can do. It's somebody else's job to determine if I'm good enough.

My wife understands. She's a Vet. She's a tough bird, and proud, and I'm proud of her for what she accomplished.

I'm not going to say that it would be easy financially, because it won't be. But if we've got enough to eat and a little left to play with, who am I to whine? We've been through worse for a heck of a lot less. Back when I worked for somebody else, I made less, payed my own taxes and worker's comp. We survived. If I do decide to join, it'll be the first time we've ever had life insurance, which is kind of funny when you think about it.

I still haven't made a decision, and probably won't for a while. Just getting as much information as I can right now. Thanks again ya'll and God Bless.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is a tough decision to make at your stage of life.

Though you're obviously not a kid, what you bring to the table is something they don't have - maturity. Most of the 20 year olds who have been deployed are more mature than those who stayed home; it's a natural situation when you've had to ensure that your equipment functions and knowing that whether it does or not can mean the difference between your buddy coming back in one piece, or in several. Even so, you're probably ahead of them in this regard, and they'll look up to you for that.

Don't worry about being in the way physically. First, there's no requirement to go into combat arms; there are a lot of jobs in the military. Second, their leaders are in their 30s too, so it's not like over-30s can't hang if they want to. You'll have to meet age-related fitness standards, and they're pretty reasonable.

Being in the Guard brings other things into the mix that Reservists don't deal with. We get called up to help our neighbors in times of emergency, since unless mobilized our Commander-in-Chief the Governor of our state. I was mobilized for four months during Katrina, and it was some of the most fulfilling work I've ever done.

The fact that your wife is a vet is a bonus - she's BTDT, and will not have to learn about how the military works.

On the down side, small business people sometimes do have big problems getting their businesses up and running again after a deployment. This is somewhat dependent on what business you're in and the attitude of your clientele toward the military...if they support the military, they'll probably at least give you some slack. If not, it could cause problems. Because this can impact on how you can provide for your family, it's something that you have to figure in.

I'll be 56 in two weeks. I've been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. I probably have one more deployment left in my career before I have to retire at 60, with just under 38 years in the Army in one form or another. I can't imagine not having done it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Make absolutely sure your reasons for doing this are what you say, and not an escape from something else. Things you don't have to tell us, but you should be asking yourself, is how is your relationship with your wife, and hows life in general? Have you discussed this with her, and how does she feel about it? Are you feeling guilty because it has been a family tradition, and you haven't been a part of it?

Being in the guard no longer shelters you from the bad stuff. You're concerned about the possibility of this venture killing your business, but have you thought about the very real possibility of it killing you? Please understand I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you make sure you know what you're getting into, and truly doing it for the right reasons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts