• Sell the SIG

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me?

Well, I'm thinking about selling my wonderful and troublefree M&P .40 fullsize because I recently purchased a CPO SIG P229R .40 and also bought a 9mm conversion barrel for it. So essentially, I have 3 guns.

I only want to keep one gun and I like that I have the cheaper 9mm option available for the SIG, but the M&P has been so great. Never had a hitch, ever! Even with reloads.

I have over 1400 rounds through the M&P and about 400 rounds of .40 through the SIG and 120 through the 9mm conversion barrel for it. My SIG has had 4 failure to chamber issues while shooting reloaded .40 through it already.

I don't want to feed both guns 40 as that gets way expensive. With the SIG, I can shoot 9mm all day long at the range with the conversion barrel and switch to the 40 when I get home for home defense reasons.

Here are some pros & cons I feel between the 2. I know the SIG has been around far longer and more options are available.

M&P

Pros:

(1)Reliable (2) Initial expense was low (3) got 4 mags & range bag due to promo

(5) Excellent warranty and service (6) Excellent ergonomics (7) Accurate

(8 ) Easy to do trigger job (9) Light weight (10) Simple to do complete stripdown

(11) FUN

Cons:

(1) required trigger job and some light polishing to get smooth customized action

(2) Plactic-like airsoft gun feel

SIG P229

Pros:

(1)Reliable only with factory ammo (2) Accurate and consistant w/both barrels

(3) ability to swap barrels to 9mm (4) Super smooth action out of box

(5) Compact (6) Decocker (7) 1 year warranty on CPO whereas new has implied (No) warranty

(8 ) Solid firearm feel, although heavier than M&P (9) Easily customizable due to availability

of aftermarket parts ~i.e.~ conv. barrels, and availible SIGsmiths (10) precise fitting

parts (11) Double the FUN due to 2 barrels!

Cons:

(1) Trigger job difficult to do (2) complete stripdown is bit of a chore (3) initial expense

was high

I love the feel of both guns, but really only NEED to keep one. What does someone do in a situation like this?

Would you guys kindly post why you chose your answer?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are you hurting for money? Is there some underlying reason why you can have only one gun? If you bought a new M&P and it is functioning fine, then why get rid of it? As for the Sig, they are top notch firearms; however, you bought a CPO so that means that it is used. Depending upon how recent you purchased this weapon, there have been issues reported regarding the finish flaking off CPOs that were refinished. Hopefully you don't own one of these but if you are curious, check out Sirgorum.com and view the thread.

Why get rid of a proven firearm for a used Sig? The price difference between 9mm and .40 is not that great to warrant getting rid of a pistol that has been flawless.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: Thinking about selling M&P because I got a SIG. Sham

greenpea76 said:

What does someone do in a situation like this?

Would you guys kindly post why you chose your answer?

donate it to the needy (i.e. me)
seriously guns are always happier when they have a friend unless you need the dough keep em both

·
Registered
269 Posts
Why sell it unless you are hard up for money? One should never sell a firearm.. just wait until they ban more guns and you will be glad that you have it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I voted to keep both. But if I had to choose just one to keep, it would be the SIG. You really can't compare the quality of the SIG 229 to that of a polymer S&W.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can relate to you. I sold my M&P today to a board member after getting two Sigs last week. Nothing against it, but all it would have done was sit in the safe, and that is not fair. Figured I would give it a good home where it would work like it should

·
Registered
178 Posts
I love my sig. I love my M&P. I'll keep both.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own the 229R and just bought the M&P both in .40, Take them both to the range to shoot.

I now use the M&P as my primary carry since its lighter. Love them both.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I voted to sell the MP.....if you have to sell one. The P229 is a better gun hands-down. The MP is a nice gun too....alot cheaper and fun to play with, but it's NOT a Sig. Of course asking this question on this forum begs the answer. You might want to ask the same question on another non-biased forum like The Highroad or The Firing Line if you want a more objective answer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Keep the M&P in my humble opinion.

Its more gun for the money. I like sigs and will own one sooner or later, but honest to god my Burwell'd (i just invented a word) M&P is one of the nicest handling guns I've shot, for any amount of money. When you begin to weigh the price as well, it simply outshines other similar offerings.

But, what supersedes all else is which you shoot better and which feels better in the hands? One thing that bothers me with the sig's is the grip width and slide stop location, along with the lllooonnnggg and heavy DA pull.

Not only this, but you can probably buy 2 M&P9's for the price that you paid for that sig, which would compliment your M&P40 nicely.... Then down the road there is the M&Pc which will accept magazines from either fullsize (in respective calibers) that makes for a perfect carry compliment to your larger framed M&P's...

·
Registered
207 Posts
texagun said:
I voted to sell the MP.....if you have to sell one. The P229 is a better gun hands-down. The MP is a nice gun too....alot cheaper and fun to play with, but it's NOT a Sig. Of course asking this question on this forum begs the answer. You might want to ask the same question on another non-biased forum like The Highroad or The Firing Line if you want a more objective answer.

What a beauty!

Mind if I share?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I've owned an awful lot of Sigs and it's hard to say anything bad about them in general or the Sig 229 in particular. But I'll try. :wink:

I prefer the M&P in .40 over a Sig .40 because recoil and muzzle flip is much less due to lower bore axis, beavertail, and grip.

I also prefer the M&P trigger over Sig DA/SA or DAK. Mine has smoothed out enough just from shooting that I feel no need for a trigger job. Sigs customer service has taken a nose dive in the last year or two in my opinion.

I don't find the Sig to be as quick into action as the M&P. Sigs has always felt kind of clunky to me in terms of handling.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Its not very objective to say the Sig is a better gun hands down and then give no reason for that statement.

texagun said:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Are you hurting for money? Is there some underlying reason why you can have only one gun? If you bought a new M&P and it is functioning fine, then why get rid of it? As for the Sig, they are top notch firearms; however, you bought a CPO so that means that it is used. Depending upon how recent you purchased this weapon, there have been issues reported regarding the finish flaking off CPOs that were refinished. Hopefully you don't own one of these but if you are curious, check out Sirgorum.com and view the thread.

Why get rid of a proven firearm for a used Sig? The price difference between 9mm and .40 is not that great to warrant getting rid of a pistol that has been flawless.

Actually the SIG has never been registered to anyone in the public. It was an in house test and evaluation gun that had virtually no wear on any of the inside parts. No polish or shiny worn areas when I inspected it. The only mark it has on it is on the right front corner of the slide. Other than that, there is no indication of anything ever have been refinished. The manufacture date was also June of 2007 according to the SIG rep. over the phone. So, virtually a "new" gun. I am also a member on SIG forum and have reviewed the threads on the finish issue with CPO's.

To everyone that answered......Thanks again for your input. The reason I'm considering selling is this can become a never ending addiction. Money isn't a huge issue til it comes to ammo feeding time. If I already have two guns, I'll want more later. Then the ammo costs keep adding up because all guns need to eat, correct? I figure I might as well cut myself off early and keep one. I hope this make sense.

Well, still undecided as of yet. So difficult to choose since they are both such great firearms and haven't given any major issues.

Here are some more pics of a 229 (MINE) to show that even the current CPO's are in outstanding condition. My slide shows a few blemishes, but I've seen worse on display guns.

Texan aviator, what version 229 is that? I notice yours has the serrations on the front slide.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Keep em both how can you have a gun collection if you sell off the ones you don't need.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Steelshooter said:
Its not very objective to say the Sig is a better gun hands down...
I'm guessing you don't own a sig? 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
greenpea76 said:
Texan aviator, what version 229 is that? I notice yours has the serrations on the front slide.

The black one is an SCP and the stainless one looks like a P226 X-5 Allaround.

EDIT: Oh yea, and my opinions...

I started out with a p229 .40, got an MP fullsize 9mm, and am now missing the P229 and looking at a P226.

The MP is cheap (great if you added the range bag and 2 mags), but I miss having a nice metal gun. I'm aiming for a stainless 226 and hoping the elites get approved for CA soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts