MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of purchasing a Shield Plus for EDC. Those that have a Shield Plus what do you like about it compared to a Glock 43x or a Sig 365? Going over a previous post about pros/cons but it’s five months old and hoping there have been some new, positive reviews of the Plus. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
713 Posts
It's a nice little pistol. I rented one at my local range. While it feels good in the hand AND feels good to shoot (low perceived recoil), I didn't like it well enough to trade/sell my original Shield (with MagGuts insert) to get one.

Before placing any money on the counter to buy one, I strongly suggest finding a way to shoot one yourself (rent/borrow/try someone's at the range) and draw your own conclusion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robzgunz thanks for the info and advice. I've narrowed my new EDC choices to: Shield Plus, SIG 365 and Glock 43x MOS. Going to check out one of the local indoor ranges that rent guns. Hopefully they will have a Plus to rent and try out. The only features I'm looking for is a semi-auto, 9mm, minimum 10 round capacity, slim line frame/slide and easily/comfortably concealable. The 43x is third on the list because of the longer grip and I already have a few other 9mm's and 40's that have a similar size/length grip.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I really like mine. Good size for EDC. Feels great in the hand and shoots very accurate. I got a mag extension for the 10 round and now have 4 13 round mags. I like shooting it better than my M&P 2.0 9mm 4 inch. I also like how easy it is to break down S&W pistols.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rugmankc thanks for the info. Going to the LGS and hopefully they have a Plus in stock. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Love mine, I like it better than my fathers 43x. I did have it cut for an optic, since I wanted the 3.1 inch and it doesn't come as an option with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love mine, of course your decision we can only advise. Had a 43X and 48, sold both after getting the plus. Had a P365, 2 of them same sold them. The shield just feels so solid compared to the others. I like Glocks, have a few, but the 43X/48 just seemed to big in the grip for carrying. I like AIWB. Varry the 10 round d it disappears, not bad with the 13 as well if I have a botton down on instead of a t shirt. It shoots so sweet.

PS, I bought a PC 4" model as well after buying the 3.1".

·
Registered
197 Posts
OP: Something to be aware of, if you aren't---The Shields are harder to lock back than most guns. More so than my M&P 2.0 and maybe other brands of same size as the Shield.

If you have any grip issues. that is something to check in too. I am older with a lot of hand arthritis.

Maybe others can comment on the slide lock back being harder on this gun.

Loading and inserting mags, shooting and racking to load a round is no issue for me.

Just locking it back to break down and reassemble.

FYI

·
Registered
23 Posts
OP: Something to be aware of, if you aren't---The Shields are harder to lock back than most guns. More so than my M&P 2.0 and maybe other brands of same size as the Shield.

If you have any grip issues. that is something to check in too. I am older with a lot of hand arthritis.

Loading and inserting mags, shooting and racking to load a round is no issue for me.

FYI
I have rheumatoid arthritis and it hasn't been much of an issue. It was a little stiff at first, but eased up after 100 rounds or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, this is all good info. The main reason I'm looking for a 9mm is I'm not getting any younger and the .45 and .40's recoil is getting harder to deal with in smaller guns. Full size not a problem....yet.

·
Registered
667 Posts

FYI
If your only issue is getting the slide to lock back, just change the way you do it.

Put the slide vertical against the side of a table and let the rear sight rest at the lip if the table/belt/boot/truck fender (read hard surface), and push the grip downward.
The slide will go back to lock and you didn't hurt yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your only issue is getting the slide to lock back, just change the way you do it.

Put the slide vertical against the side of a table and let the rear sight rest at the lip if the table/belt/boot/truck fender (read hard surface), and push the grip downward.
The slide will go back to lock and you didn't hurt yourself.
The Shield Plus stock sights do not have a ledge on them that will allow you to hook them on a table or something else to operate the slide as mentioned above. They are a tapered sight, much like the shape of Novak sights found on many 1911 pistols. S&W does offer a night sight version that has tritium sights on it that have a ledge for that purpose. There are many ways to operate a slide on a pistol that don't require racking it with the sights on a table. Lots of videos on YouTube showing different techniques.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am actually thinking about purchasing a Shield Plus too. I have a Shield 2.0 in 9mm that is a nice pistol. I have been a Glock shooter for a while now and carry a Glock most of the time. I am thinking about switching my carry gun to the Shield. I am reading a lot about the Shield Plus and I am reading about a number of problems like people having trouble removing the slide, trigger safety too loose, magazines binding so they can't be fully loaded etc. I would really like to hear from some folks that like their Shield Plus and are not having trouble with it. I hope someone out there finds it to be a good solid pistol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am actually thinking about purchasing a Shield Plus too. I have a Shield 2.0 in 9mm that is a nice pistol. I have been a Glock shooter for a while now and carry a Glock most of the time. I am thinking about switching my carry gun to the Shield. I am reading a lot about the Shield Plus and I am reading about a number of problems like people having trouble removing the slide, trigger safety too loose, magazines binding so they can't be fully loaded etc. I would really like to hear from some folks that like their Shield Plus and are not having trouble with it. I hope someone out there finds it to be a good solid pistol.
Only magazine problem I have had is it can be hard to load a full one unless the slide is locked back. It can be done, it just requires a good slap. Have not had any trigger issues or trouble removing the slide. All in all, it's been a good pistol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Shield Plus is an acquired taste. Loading the 13 round magazines to full capacity was an issue initially, but it has gotten easier. Lots of discussion on this topic in the FB M&P Shield Plus group. I have found the more I shoot it the better it gets. Carrying with the 10 round mag is perfect. Actually picking up an M&P Compact 2.0 9MM to add to my collection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking of purchasing a Shield Plus for EDC. Those that have a Shield Plus what do you like about it compared to a Glock 43x or a Sig 365? Going over a previous post about pros/cons but it’s five months old and hoping there have been some new, positive reviews of the Plus. Thanks in advance!
My first CC was the Sig 365XL, the grip was small and difficult to securely hold. I traded it in for the S&W MP 2.0 Compact 4" barrel and that was a little difficult to CC, but I love it. I bought the Shield Plus and have never considered another CC. I shoot regularly with a team and others have the Glock 43X, they were amazed at the easy trigger action on the Shield Plus compared to their Glock 43X's. Go for the Shield Plus, you won't regret it! I only wish there were more 13 round magazines commercially available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Shield Plus is an acquired taste. Loading the 13 round magazines to full capacity was an issue initially, but it has gotten easier. Lots of discussion on this topic in the FB M&P Shield Plus group. I have found the more I shoot it the better it gets. Carrying with the 10 round mag is perfect. Actually picking up an M&P Compact 2.0 9MM to add to my collection.
I use a 9 mm speed loader on both my S&W's and that makes it easy to load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love mine, of course your decision we can only advise. Had a 43X and 48, sold both after getting the plus. Had a P365, 2 of them same sold them. The shield just feels so solid compared to the others. I like Glocks, have a few, but the 43X/48 just seemed to big in the grip for carrying. I like AIWB. Varry the 10 round d it disappears, not bad with the 13 as well if I have a botton down on instead of a t shirt. It shoots so sweet.

PS, I bought a PC 4" model as well after buying the 3.1".
I like my 43x better also have 15 round mags for it. Handles better then Sheild plus.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have carried the Sig P-365 for the past two years. I bought the M&P Shield Plus about 3 months ago and ever since then my 365 lives in my gun safe. I have the ArmaLaser green laser on both guns, both are easy to shoot, easy to load and easy to carry. The Sig came with night sights, so installed night sights on my Shield as well. I traded my M&P 9 Compact for the 365, but I still have my M&P 45 compact that I will never trade. My wife carries a P-365 as well, but loves to shoot my Shield. I paid $501 for my Shield at Bill's Trading Post in Prescott, AZ.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts