MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Best thing to do is try as many similar-style guns as you can, because what works for one person may not work for you. When I say "similar-style", I mean for ex if you're buying for cc, and you want specific criteria, then try as many that fit that criteria. Yes range time and rentals cost money, but IMHO it's worth it to do the research.

Personally I wanted 9mm, 10+ capacity, 6.5" or less overall length, 5" or less overall height, no safety, no curved trigger, and didn't need modifications out-of-the-box. I tried about 10 different guns that fit this criteria that I either rented or invited a friend (and borrowed their gun) w me to the range. When shooting each one, I focused on the "feeling" of several things while comparing: recoil, trigger, grip/ergonomics, and general overall feel. Rated each one of those 1 to 10 (took the notes using my cell phone on the range after trying each gun). This made the comparison much easier as it's so easy to forget what felt good and what did not after 3 or 4 guns in a row.

The winner for me was the Shield Plus. I just received it from my FFL last week and put its first 100+ rounds through it today. Feels good knowing you selected the "best" for you out of the bunch. (The only one on my list I didn't get to try was the Kimber R7 Mako.... couldn't find it for rent anywhere)

Hope that helps. Happy searching.

edit: glock 43x and 365x were two of my three 'finalists'..... in the end, the 43x felt a little too "boxy" and the mag dug into my grip a little bit.... while the 365x's grip was a little too small for my hands and the recoil was a little too snappy.... all compared to the Shield + obviously.

· Registered
248 Posts
OP: Something to be aware of, if you aren't---The Shields are harder to lock back than most guns. More so than my M&P 2.0 and maybe other brands of same size as the Shield.

If you have any grip issues. that is something to check in too. I am older with a lot of hand arthritis.

Maybe others can comment on the slide lock back being harder on this gun.

Loading and inserting mags, shooting and racking to load a round is no issue for me.

Just locking it back to break down and reassemble.

FYI
Absolutely no trouble locking mine back.

· Registered
248 Posts
I am actually thinking about purchasing a Shield Plus too. I have a Shield 2.0 in 9mm that is a nice pistol. I have been a Glock shooter for a while now and carry a Glock most of the time. I am thinking about switching my carry gun to the Shield. I am reading a lot about the Shield Plus and I am reading about a number of problems like people having trouble removing the slide, trigger safety too loose, magazines binding so they can't be fully loaded etc. I would really like to hear from some folks that like their Shield Plus and are not having trouble with it. I hope someone out there finds it to be a good solid pistol.
Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

· Registered
147 Posts
Do not believe everything you read on the internet.
I hate to come off the wrong way, but you can just tell by reading some of these bad reports, and not just about the Shield Plus either, that a good many of them are because somebody doesn't know what they're doing.

I look for patterns. If I see the same issue being reported the same way by an unusually large number of people across the web, especially if there's a smattering of clearly experienced voices in there, there might be something to the issues being reported.

No matter WHAT make or model of ANYthing, there will be somebody saying it doesn't work.

· Registered
4 Posts
Thinking of purchasing a Shield Plus for EDC. Those that have a Shield Plus what do you like about it compared to a Glock 43x or a Sig 365? Going over a previous post about pros/cons but it’s five months old and hoping there have been some new, positive reviews of the Plus. Thanks in advance!
Don’t I just got the Shield Plus and right out of the box not right, the sear pin fell out. Now I have to wait until Monday to call, then ship, the wait, then wait for it to be shipped back. I will never be able to trust and rely on this weapon. I have a CZ P10s, it works! Parts are not falling out of it and the quality, the design and precision there is nothing like a CZ. I don’t know what I was thinking and now when I get the SW back I will sell it cause cannot trust it and lose money on it. But if you do buy let me know i can sell you my extra magazines, actually hard to find.

· Registered
4 Posts
I hate to come off the wrong way, but you can just tell by reading some of these bad reports, and not just about the Shield Plus either, that a good many of them are because somebody doesn't know what they're doing.

I look for patterns. If I see the same issue being reported the same way by an unusually large number of people across the web, especially if there's a smattering of clearly experienced voices in there, there might be something to the issues being reported.

No matter WHAT make or model of ANYthing, there will be somebody saying it doesn't work.
The problem with my shield having parts falling out i see on the web dating back 5-6 years and still having the same thing happen. So SW not fixing the problem, not having quality control, sad

· Registered
2 Posts
Robzgunz thanks for the info and advice. I've narrowed my new EDC choices to: Shield Plus, SIG 365 and Glock 43x MOS. Going to check out one of the local indoor ranges that rent guns. Hopefully they will have a Plus to rent and try out. The only features I'm looking for is a semi-auto, 9mm, minimum 10 round capacity, slim line frame/slide and easily/comfortably concealable. The 43x is third on the list because of the longer grip and I already have a few other 9mm's and 40's that have a similar size/length grip.
You might want to try the sig 365 XL. Really really nice gun.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have the 2.0 shield 9mm and see zero reasons to buy another shield. 7/8 rounds is good eneough.
I cannot justify spending another 500 bucks for a CCW , when I have a perfectly good one already.
I know some people " have to have the latest & the greatest"......but thats NOT me. 😁

· Registered
842 Posts
I have the 2.0 shield 9mm and see zero reasons to buy another shield. 7/8 rounds is good eneough.
I cannot justify spending another 500 bucks for a CCW , when I have a perfectly good one already.
I know some people " have to have the latest & the greatest"......but thats NOT me.
Sell your shield 2.0 for $400 (people are paying stupid prices) and be a smart shopper and you're probably only going to lose $50 to $75 buying a higher capacity gun that is the same size (Shield plus or Sig 365).

I know two different people that would be dead if they only had 7/8 round mags.
It happens more often than you think. So it isn't about latest, but more about what's best for the times we are living in.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have carried the Sig P-365 for the past two years. I bought the M&P Shield Plus about 3 months ago and ever since then my 365 lives in my gun safe. I have the ArmaLaser green laser on both guns, both are easy to shoot, easy to load and easy to carry. The Sig came with night sights, so installed night sights on my Shield as well. I traded my M&P 9 Compact for the 365, but I still have my M&P 45 compact that I will never trade. My wife carries a P-365 as well, but loves to shoot my Shield. I paid $501 for my Shield at Bill's Trading Post in Prescott, AZ.
I have a 365 XL, Canik Mete, had Sig 365, and I would recommend the S&W Plus over all of them. Thin, nice size, and very little recoil, Xl would be my second choice, 365 is way too snappy, Mete is too big for EDC. Forget the Hellcat, very snappy, same goes for the Ruger Max 9,

· Registered
4 Posts
I have owned a shield 2.0 9mil for over 2 years and it's my EDC. I own a Glock 19 and 26 and the Shield is my best carry option. It's only drawback was the capacity. I just bought an optic ready 9mil Shield Plus and I'm going to install a Sig Sauer RomeoZero 3 MOA optic on it as soon as it arrives, I can't wait because I have never shot with an optic before on a handgun. Since I am of the senior citizen variety the iron sights are getting harder to see without the reading glasses. I figure if the bad guy is in the sight window of the optic I can probably hit something. I hope this helps

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.