MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guns.com occasionally will have the Shield Plus on sale for $465.00 but then you have the $50.00 fee at your local firearms dealer when it arrives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best thing to do is try as many similar-style guns as you can, because what works for one person may not work for you. When I say "similar-style", I mean for ex if you're buying for cc, and you want specific criteria, then try as many that fit that criteria. Yes range time and rentals cost money, but IMHO it's worth it to do the research.

Personally I wanted 9mm, 10+ capacity, 6.5" or less overall length, 5" or less overall height, no safety, no curved trigger, and didn't need modifications out-of-the-box. I tried about 10 different guns that fit this criteria that I either rented or invited a friend (and borrowed their gun) w me to the range. When shooting each one, I focused on the "feeling" of several things while comparing: recoil, trigger, grip/ergonomics, and general overall feel. Rated each one of those 1 to 10 (took the notes using my cell phone on the range after trying each gun). This made the comparison much easier as it's so easy to forget what felt good and what did not after 3 or 4 guns in a row.

The winner for me was the Shield Plus. I just received it from my FFL last week and put its first 100+ rounds through it today. Feels good knowing you selected the "best" for you out of the bunch. (The only one on my list I didn't get to try was the Kimber R7 Mako.... couldn't find it for rent anywhere)

Hope that helps. Happy searching.

edit: glock 43x and 365x were two of my three 'finalists'..... in the end, the 43x felt a little too "boxy" and the mag dug into my grip a little bit.... while the 365x's grip was a little too small for my hands and the recoil was a little too snappy.... all compared to the Shield + obviously.

·
Registered
242 Posts
OP: Something to be aware of, if you aren't---The Shields are harder to lock back than most guns. More so than my M&P 2.0 and maybe other brands of same size as the Shield.

If you have any grip issues. that is something to check in too. I am older with a lot of hand arthritis.

Maybe others can comment on the slide lock back being harder on this gun.

Loading and inserting mags, shooting and racking to load a round is no issue for me.

Just locking it back to break down and reassemble.

FYI
Absolutely no trouble locking mine back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am actually thinking about purchasing a Shield Plus too. I have a Shield 2.0 in 9mm that is a nice pistol. I have been a Glock shooter for a while now and carry a Glock most of the time. I am thinking about switching my carry gun to the Shield. I am reading a lot about the Shield Plus and I am reading about a number of problems like people having trouble removing the slide, trigger safety too loose, magazines binding so they can't be fully loaded etc. I would really like to hear from some folks that like their Shield Plus and are not having trouble with it. I hope someone out there finds it to be a good solid pistol.
Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do not believe everything you read on the internet.
I hate to come off the wrong way, but you can just tell by reading some of these bad reports, and not just about the Shield Plus either, that a good many of them are because somebody doesn't know what they're doing.

I look for patterns. If I see the same issue being reported the same way by an unusually large number of people across the web, especially if there's a smattering of clearly experienced voices in there, there might be something to the issues being reported.

No matter WHAT make or model of ANYthing, there will be somebody saying it doesn't work.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts