MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching yet another addictive rerun of "The Sopranos", a few thoughts jumped into my head as to "Why" they did some things, and while of course I'd never do such things myself in my wildest dreams, I still have to wonder "Why did they do that?"

For example, after a "hit", the shooter drops his pistol at the scene and leaves. Heck, the same thing happened in "The Godfather" with the sitdown in the restaurant.

Aren't they concerned about fingerprints? Why leave the weapon at the scene -- so it's not on their person if they happen to be stopped when leaving the scene?

And on that matter, considering ballistics, couldn't someone simply replace the barrel of their semi-auto pistol, thereby alterning the ballistics so they would never match up? Theoretically, they'd only have to destroy the offending barrel, not the entire weapon?

I really know next to nothing about any of this, but since many of these shows are supposed to be as close to realistic as possible, I find myself wondering "Why" and hoping someone could provide some answers, or at the very least, theories.

Please let me know ... and many thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
cet said:
After watching yet another addictive rerun of "The Sopranos", a few thoughts jumped into my head as to "Why" they did some things, and while of course I'd never do such things myself in my wildest dreams, I still have to wonder "Why did they do that?"

For example, after a "hit", the shooter drops his pistol at the scene and leaves. Heck, the same thing happened in "The Godfather" with the sitdown in the restaurant.

Aren't they concerned about fingerprints? Why leave the weapon at the scene -- so it's not on their person if they happen to be stopped when leaving the scene?

And on that matter, considering ballistics, couldn't someone simply replace the barrel of their semi-auto pistol, thereby alterning the ballistics so they would never match up? Theoretically, they'd only have to destroy the offending barrel, not the entire weapon?

I really know next to nothing about any of this, but since many of these shows are supposed to be as close to realistic as possible, I find myself wondering "Why" and hoping someone could provide some answers, or at the very least, theories.

I think they know that the gun is not traceable so there is no danger of implication. Better to leave it at the scene and not have it in their possession. Usually those guys were gloves and give it a good wipedown before using it, preventing fingerprints.

I think you have a point on the barrel, although the more guns or parts you bring in to the equation, the longer the potential paper trail. Sounds like a good idea though if you have time to remove the barrel and toss it somewhere.

·
Registered
188 Posts
cet said:

I think they know that the gun is not traceable so there is no danger of implication. Better to leave it at the scene and not have it in their possession. Usually those guys were gloves and give it a good wipedown before using it, preventing fingerprints.

I think you have a point on the barrel, although the more guns or parts you bring in to the equation, the longer the potential paper trail. Sounds like a good idea though if you have time to remove the barrel and toss it somewhere.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Supposedly they're getting evidence off cartridge cases from autos now so some gang bangers are going back to revolvers. They don't tend to purchase firearms that have a paper trail anyway.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
well, I think the reason the sopranos does that is because other mob flicks have done it before. There's a lot of cliche in that show as well as the original stuff.

Realisticly, you want to leave nothing that identifies you at the crime scene, and take nothing form the crime scne with you that can place you there.

Simplisticly, being found with the gun later allows them to try to match the gun to the crime, and the gun to you, and thus you to the crime.

Leave the gun at the crime scene, and the gun is already attached to the crime scene. All they have to do is link it to you. Sure, if you never touch the thing without gloves on, you won't leave prints. But it doesn't mean you don't leave a dry skin flake on there, or fibers, or a jillion other things. But you can swap those thing with the scene itself without the help fo the gun.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Who cares, its a TV show.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts