MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range the other day and took my two pistols, as I normally do, and man I did not do well with my MP. I rotated back and forth between my XD-9SC and MP-40 Service and while I consistantly did well with the XD, I did not do well with the MP. This is not the first time I've been inconsistant with it and I'm always consistant with the XD. I'm really having some concerns here as the MP is my Home Defense weapon. While the MP feels good in my hand, its quickly losing my confidence. Maybe it's the caliber, it is snappy or something else...I don't know. I'm thinking of trading it in for a SIG P226 9MM. I heard alot of good things about them and with going to the 9MM maybe this is a better choice for me. Yes I know it's more $. Anyone shot both?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I own both the pistols described and can say that both are excellent weapons. I also own the P226 in .40 S&W and carried the P226 in 9mm as my primary duty weapon for over a decade without a failure. If you can, get to a range and try to rent a P226 or find a friend who may have one. I would definitely shoot the pistol if at all possible prior to purchase.

With that said, perhaps a lot of dry fire practice and extra range time will grow your proficiency with the M&P. A P226 may not cure your problem either. One has to consider the Indian and not the arrow when the lead hits the target.

Perhaps the XD platform is the better platform for you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
How about a .45

Have you ever shot a .45? I would try out one and see if you like it. the M&P 45 is a great gun. I too think .40 is a bit snappy and hard to control. I still have my M&P 40 because it is the only 40 I can shoot that I like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: How about a .45

4864 said:
Have you ever shot a .45? I would try out one and see if you like it. the M&P 45 is a great gun. I too think .40 is a bit snappy and hard to control. I still have my M&P 40 because it is the only 40 I can shoot that I like.

Actually I have...I shot a 1911, Springfield and it really shot nice, not much recoil. That's why I'm considering the P229, I understand it's somewhat similar in design to a 1911 and with a 9mm it may have very little recoil.

·
Registered
186 Posts
trade M&P40 for M&P 9 problem solved
+1

I don't have any .40 guns and myself not a fan of the cartridge... have you shot M&P in 9mm? I'd say do that and if you don't like it any more than your M&P40 get a Sig...

I have M&P and P226ST both in 9mm and while Sig has better overall fit and finish and is probably is a litte more accurate M&P has been more relliable...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think that the OP is simply more accustomed to the grip angle of a 1911 and XD since they are one of the same as far as the grip angle. That's Springfields big selling pitch. I do not believe that switching to a Sig or any other manufacturer will change matters. As stated before, the OP has found a suitable platform and should probably stick with it. Switching from a .40 to a 9mm makes little sense to me, unless he/she simply doesn't like the .40 S&W cartridge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It probably is the grip angle.

I have an XD9, great reliable gun but I hate the angle and feel of it.

The MP fits my hand much better. For you, it might be the reverse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the XD fits you, run with it. It's a great gun. I agree that the M&P is sexier, but that has nothing to do with utility. That being said, I certainly will not turn you away from a SIG, especially the 226. I am a diagnosed Sigaholic and I think the 226 is one of the greatest handguns ever made. Pistols are highly personal items, but for me the P226 just "fits". It feels great in the hand and shoots easily and instinctively. Your XD may be the same for you. To each his own.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 on the hints-of-doubt. Shot my M&P9 horribly tonight. I "rented" a P226 because my brother wanted to to try it (and it's free for range members) and I shot 30 rounds from the Sig better than the best 30 out of about 120 rounds from my M&P. I don't have the bankroll to make an impulse buy of eight bills :wink: so I will put one or two thousand more rounds through the M&P before I even consider the switch. The Sig is a wonderful weapon, though, so I don't see a down side to either choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, went to the range today............shot the XD and Sig P226.........no longer a MP owner. got sig? Thanks guys, enjoyed my short time here, best of luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know when I first shot the MP it was not good on paper, but after I learned about trigger reset and how to work it, my groups were dead on, and practice dry firing helps 100%. I am a firm beleiver that in any firarm it's the operator who needs practice and fundemental shooting.

But if any other firearm you hold shoots better and is comfortable than go with it, but still learn and practice,it's not always the gun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sig is high quality gun. Congrat!. I would like to get my hand on one too....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have had quite a few Sigs over the years and think they are harder to shoot than many other pistols. If it's DA/SA forget it. Can't stand the first long trigger pull. Also has a high bore axis. Don't get me wrong its a fine pistol but I would try an M%P in 9mm first.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i bet you still had to fork over at least 500 bucks for a new sig, as long as your happy right ?

im attempting to get a sig 226 this week as well, so far its been more of a pita because of the store im dealing with

·
Registered
405 Posts
cruze5 said:
im attempting to get a sig 226 this week as well, so far its been more of a pita because of the store im dealing with

They have used ones for cheap at alomost every store around here. Best friend picked up a .357 P226 stainless for $599 few months ago :!:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts