MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have them with ammo other than WWB? I ask this as it seems like everyone posting FTEs was using WWB. Now, I have a very hard time believing it is ammo related as I have literally shots tens of thousands of this through many weapons without any problems.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My FTE occurred using Winchester White Box as well but it was not from the Wal-Mart value pack variety nor was it the WinClean stuff. Just regular white box.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just shot 600 rounds of WWB, 100 round boxes from walmart, (in two sessions) and no FTE/FTF. Never had any issues with any other brands of ammo either. Dunno if that helps you any...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
UPSguy said:
Did anyone have them with ammo other than WWB? I ask this as it seems like everyone posting FTEs was using WWB. Now, I have a very hard time believing it is ammo related as I have literally shots tens of thousands of this through many weapons without any problems.

I wouldn't have a hard time believing it. About the same time, I head other people shooting other guns complaining about issues with it. The majority of them boiled down to sounding like winchester produced a lot with questionable dimensions.

the rumor mill also had it that around that time winchester was also bringing on subcontractors to manufacture the cheap stuff.

Notice the complaints have dried up as of late.

I call bad QC on the part of an ammo importer that has likely been straightened out. Having loaded a lot of mixed 9mm ammo, I'd definitely say there isnt a lot of wiggle room in dimensions for the groove above the case rim, but that doesn't stop manufacturers from trying.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
raz-0 said:
I wouldn't have a hard time believing it. About the same time, I head other people shooting other guns complaining about issues with it. The majority of them boiled down to sounding like winchester produced a lot with questionable dimensions.

the rumor mill also had it that around that time winchester was also bringing on subcontractors to manufacture the cheap stuff.

Notice the complaints have dried up as of late.

I call bad QC on the part of an ammo importer that has likely been straightened out. Having loaded a lot of mixed 9mm ammo, I'd definitely say there isnt a lot of wiggle room in dimensions for the groove above the case rim, but that doesn't stop manufacturers from trying.

It could be that more people just shoot WWB more than anything else. My FTE just occured last week but I have no way of knowing when I purchased that ammo as I have thousands of rounds on hand.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
m4arc said:
It could be that more people just shoot WWB more than anything else. My FTE just occured last week but I have no way of knowing when I purchased that ammo as I have thousands of rounds on hand.

Yeah, but a LOT of people hit wal-mart, and go to the range within a short period of time. The majority of people probably. Which is why you got a big rush of people complaining. Bad batch hits the street, people buy it, people complain.

I think the fact that the M&P + WWB complaints came at the same time as non M&P complaints with basically the same issues, and the fact that both the M&P and non M&P issues tapered off at the same time is more telling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My FTEs have all been WWB. 50 rnd boxes, all bought from two different Academy stores. I shot this same batch of ammo thru a Kahr with no problems. Next time I am going to try some Remington.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jtucker said:
My FTEs have all been WWB. 50 rnd boxes, all bought from two different Academy stores. I shot this same batch of ammo thru a Kahr with no problems. Next time I am going to try some Remington.
To me anyway this is much more telling. Seems eveyone's M&P FTEs are with WWB, either 50 or 100 round boxes. Some are from Wally World and some are not. Passing it off to there is so much of it shot that it is bound to happen with it is a cop-out in my never to be humble opinion. The telling part as this poster shared is that putting the offending ammo into another weapon worked fine. I shoot a LOT of WWB and have never had a FTE in any other weapon, period.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be very interested in those links also as I have never witnessed a FTE using WWB in my 1911s or HK P2000 or CZ Tactical Sport or Glock 34. Nor have I ever witnessed one in any of my shooting partners multitude of diferent weapons. I shoot a LOT of WWB.

This post now looks sort of stupid since someone pulled their post I was referring to. OH well, it's just the internet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a ftf with a wwb 9mm round last weekend. Wouldnt feed into my freinds berreta eighter. After looking at it close you could see a small bur on the case lip. Years ago I found a 45acp cartridge with the bullet pushed into the case, glad I didnt fire that one. I still like the ammo and Ive fire 1000s and 1000s of round of different calibors with only those 2 problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M4arc, were did the post go about the other threads with other weapons having problems with WWB? OH, and thanks for agreeing with me, if I could just get my wife to do that once in a while

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
UPSguy said:
M4arc, were did the post go about the other threads with other weapons having problems with WWB? OH, and thanks for agreeing with me, if I could just get my wife to do that once in a while

In the end I was basically saying the same thing as you so I didn't want to seem like I was piling on.

The bottom line is I don't think its an ammo issue. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of WWB in practice, training, tactical classes and a few local matches and I've never once had an issue.

I also have a hard time believing that Winchester put out a bad batch, of all things, out of spec rims?

Like I said in the other post I guess it could be perceived as an ammo issue just because more people shoot WWB more than any other brand.

Also, I'm not saying other didn't experience these failures with other brands but I haven't read about extractors leaving empty cases in the chamber over on Glocktalk.com. If anyone would be screaming it's an ammo issue it would be those guys.

So far I love my M&P and I'm not saying anything is wrong with the gun...maybe they just need to be broken in? But I don't want to dismiss this as an ammo issue either. I hope I don't sound argumentative, I just want to share my opinion and openly discuss the issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Experienced numerous FTEs at the range today (first time out) with my M&P9 using Russian brown bear ammo. I fired about 300 rounds through the gun and the number of FTEs fell dramatically the more I fired. Intermittantly I fired 50 rounds of Magtech 9mm without a single hiccup. My M&P9C acted similarly, with less FTE using brown bear ammo, in either case the guns ran without a hiccup after about 200 rounds average with either ammo. Super happy with all three of my M&Ps...In fact, went to the range and fired 700 rounds through my M&P40 over two days, no cleaning, and some mud...

·
Registered
422 Posts
jtucker said:

many on the XD forum report problems with WWB. I personally believe the casing lip is too small on wwb.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Crysour said:
Experienced numerous FTEs at the range today (first time out) with my M&P9 using Russian brown bear ammo. I fired about 300 rounds through the gun and the number of FTEs fell dramatically the more I fired. Intermittantly I fired 50 rounds of Magtech 9mm without a single hiccup. My M&P9C acted similarly, with less FTE using brown bear ammo, in either case the guns ran without a hiccup after about 200 rounds average with either ammo. Super happy with all three of my M&Ps...In fact, went to the range and fired 700 rounds through my M&P40 over two days, no cleaning, and some mud...

that brown bear is steel cased, id stay away from it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
UPSguy said:
[quote name='jtucker']My FTEs have all been WWB. 50 rnd boxes, all bought from two different Academy stores. I shot this same batch of ammo thru a Kahr with no problems. Next time I am going to try some Remington.
To me anyway this is much more telling. Seems eveyone's M&P FTEs are with WWB, either 50 or 100 round boxes. Some are from Wally World and some are not. Passing it off to there is so much of it shot that it is bound to happen with it is a cop-out in my never to be humble opinion. The telling part as this poster shared is that putting the offending ammo into another weapon worked fine. I shoot a LOT of WWB and have never had a FTE in any other weapon, period.[/quote]

yes, i think any modern combat pistol should fire most ammo reliably.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had a problem with WWB in either of my M&P's, but I DID have two squib rounds of WWB, one stuck in the barrel of my Beretta Storm and the other in a SigP226. Neither were from the same lot, btw.

I called Winchester both times. One box they had me send back, the other they told me not to shoot and both times sent me a couple boxes in replacement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found two kinds of WWB ammo. Some of it has regular colored bullets and the others look like the bullets are made out of brass.

I haven't had a problem with any of it, however it does look like I have been shooting black powder loads when I go to clean it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts