MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions on active hearing protection? The muffs that let you hear better what's going on, then mute the loud gun noises.

There seems to be a huge range of prices. I don't need fancy features (2-way radio or music). I've heard some say that the cheaper brands don't work as well. Pro-Ears are almost $300, vs ~$60 for some others. Worth it?

My current fav muffs are Peltor's "Shotgunner". They are thin, reasonably comfortable, fold up small, and outdoors work great. Indoors I feel I need to plug as well. Because of how I like the fit, the Peltor 6S active muffs are high on my list for no reason other than they are the same ear-cup style.

I wear earplugs a lot on the motorcycle, but I don't like them for clays or practical shoots. Too much hassle taking them in/out. The foam ones take a second or two to seal as well.

I've got some custom molded earplugs, and I plan to try those some more. Still would rather not futz taking them in/out a ton.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I have the Peltor Tactical Sports, same as sold in the MP Store, they work pretty darn good. I like the fact that they will shut themselves off after 2 hours, so you can't leave them on and run the batteries down, it lets you know when it's going to shut off, there's a tone, and you can reset them in a second or two.

http://www.mp-store.com/product_info.php?c...8d78696e967eeea

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
For me, its all about the NRR. Electronic or not, with a low NRR, I don't have the protection I need.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like Pro Ears as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've run Peltors for a few years now. They seem inadequate when used by themselves. I use soft earplugs underneath the Peltors, then crank up the volume. That works well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Radians Pro-Amp work good for me. I really enjoy using active muffs. They make range trips more enjoyable. They work great for training and hearing range commands. I double plug when shooting indoors, whether using active muffs or regular. I can not say that the Radians Pro-Amp are as good as Pro Ears, but they cost "A LOT" less.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/RAD600-1237-966.html

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Peltor Tactical Sport Electronic Earmuffs, not bad for $85.00...

Hold on switch for 2 seconds to activate, hold off for 2 seconds to turn off

Gun stock recess

Adjustable stainless steel headband

Auto shut-off

ASIC chip for clarity

500 hours of AAA battery life (batteries included)

Includes interchangeable cups (domes)

Audio jack for devices such as cell phones, MP3 players and dog trackers

***I used the Peltor Shotgunner for about a year before my recent purchase of Peltor's electronic muffs. I would recommend them to anyone for under $15.00 you can't beat them.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Get the peltors with the Gel inserts, and you wonder why you waited. Its like alittle bit of heaven on your ears.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone used both the Peltors and the Pro-Ears?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've used both the Peltors and Pro-Ears. Five years ago, I would have told you to go with the Peltors because they were more durable, even though the Pro-Ears had better electronics. Now, the Pro-Ears are much more durable and better made than they were 5-10 years ago. If I was going to buy a set today (and I need to, in fact) it would definitely be the Pro-Ears.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: hearing Protection

8th SPS USAF said:
Try Harbor Frieght web site They sell for about $25-$30 for elect. ear muffs.

Work well, warrenty 1 year

Yup, I've got two pairs that I bought from HF when they were on sale for $10 each...my wife and I use them for shooting and like them alot.

I have a friend with a couple that he uses for shooting and power tools...he also has no complaints. - Josh M.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts