MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - been reading here for a few days. Picked up my M&P 9mm fullsize about a week ago.

A few things I've noticed:

-Weird partial teardrop shape near firing pin hole on the breach face... Checked the other M&P9 at the shop and it had the same 'mark' - has anyone else seen this? Doesn't seem to have any effect on function (~400 rounds without a single issue so far) - just make the primer look weird on the brass...

-Firing pin block - holy hanna, that thing sucks. Over 1 lb of the trigger pull is due to that baby, along with a false reset. Right now, it is removed from my gun... Before you flame away, this gun is strictly a competition and range gun (USPSA Prod.). Has anyone experimented with chopping the spring down a bit? It does seem to be way to strong for it's purpose. Did some minor work on the sear - dropped striker engagement down to ~.035" and cleaned up the 'hump' about half way for a nice 4.5lb pull. It's still a bit squishy, so I'll have to play with the engagement and angle a bit more.

Other than that, I'm loving it with the large backstrap (big hands), but gotta ditch those sights ASAP for some more target oriented ones...

Thanks for the great resource - especially since searching for "M&P" doesn't return squat most places

-Dave

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Krautwagen said:
-Weird partial teardrop shape near firing pin hole on the breach face... Checked the other M&P9 at the shop and it had the same 'mark' - has anyone else seen this?
Nope. 8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, thats a bit more disconcerting than the feeling I had when I saw the other pistol they had featured the same 'defect'...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the spring! Find the "trigger job" on Burwell Gunsmithing site and consider the polishing and rounding off of the part. i did the "complete" trigger job and have a great comp trigger now!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coltman1985 said:
I wouldn't mess with the spring! Find the "trigger job" on Burwell Gunsmithing site and consider the polishing and rounding off of the part. i did the "complete" trigger job and have a great comp trigger now!

I experimented with that a bit, but either way, it still take a considerable amount of force to compress that spring. That force has to come from the trigger bar, and ultimately, the trigger. I would've thought more companies would have been able to set it up like Tanfoglio by now - the FPB spring helps the trigger pull rather than hurting it.

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
(1) As others (eventually) said, the teardrop cut in the striker channel opening is normal. It was done to improve function with high-pressure 9mm ammo.

(2) Let me flame away anyway ... disengaging the drop safety mechanism on a gun, especially a striker-fired gun, is a bad idea. You say it's only a competition gun. Well, I've seen more guns dropped at USPSA matches that in training, at LE ranges, at military ranges ... Competitors are pushing their speed faster, using less retention on magazines, etc.

There are multiple people actively participating on this site who regularly achieve 4.5# and lighter trigger pulls without compromising the safety mechanisms of the M&P pistol. For about the cost of a week's training ammo, you can have one of them tune up your gun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the positive criticism Todd. I know this is an old argument (ala series 70 vs 80 1911's), but I'd like to entertain the idea of a better mousetrap here.

EDIT - Nevermind - got the FPB back in there after some re-contouring of it and the trigger bar, so now the FPB only results in a ~1/4lb increase in trigger pull... Still doesn't feel quite as nice though.

While I would love to just magically have a professional trigger job done, I'd like to see if I can figure it out myself and save the ~$120... That and my email hasn't been returned from the one I'd like to have do it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts