MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the M&P 9 be modified to install the 45's thumb safety?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
No. At least, not easily. I'm sure with a machine shop, diagrams, and an engineering degree (or a good gunsmith) you could kludge it.

The 9/40/357 guns will be available with a 1911-style manual safety in 2008.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008 huh, do you know where I might find out more or where did you find this? Is this info from Smith or rumor? If its true Ill have to wait for my 9mm. Are they going to put them on compacts too???????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
ebar5 -- I'm not certain about the Compact, I never thought to ask. I'd guess they'll do the whole line, but that's really just speculation on my part.

The fact that the safety will be an option comes straight from Smith, and I believe it's been reported here by others, as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I cut my teeth on the 1911 platform and have not been happy with any other design until the M&P 45 w/safety. It gives me a familiar feel with a slightly higher capacity and excelent reliability in a less expensive package. With the 9mm, Ill get the same feel, cheap(er) to shoot and much higher capacity. I believe this to be the PERFECT crossover gun for 1911 fans. And its made in the USA!

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I've personally seen a 9c with a safety that the LE rep had who taught our armorer course.

You'll eventually see them on the shelves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My M&P40c manual shows a photo of the "AMBIDEXTROUS MANUAL SAFETY OPTION" on page 16.

Also shown is "LANYARD TOOL OPTION" on page 28. (Allowing the use of a lanyard).

·
Registered
505 Posts
pretty soon the M&P is going to have so many different combinations your just going to have to fill out a order form or something when you buy one. I want it to have this, that, and the other...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts