MP-Pistol Forum banner

Thumb safety or slick-slide M&P 45??

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  dino92g 
#1 ·
I am on the verge of "pulling the trigger" on a purchase of the M&P 45. I have several 1911's, and most of my Beretta's that have a thumb safety. I also have a couple slick-slide DAO Berettas.

The S&W website is painfully light on info on these pistols so I have but one question -

If you get the model without the manual safety, is it just like any other DAO, or is there another external safety of some sort?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Just bought an M&P 45 without the safety. I tried both but for me the safety did not have enough positive engaugement for my liking. Just my opinion but the safety on an M&P is like polished jewells on a wild hog.

#9 ·
I cannot imagine that anyone can truly believe that a thumb safety slows anything down. Retention holsters yes... a thumb safety no way. I fully credit that everyone that hangs out here is fully capable of walking and chewing gum. As your weapon is coming up (finger outside the trigger guard) and begins to rotate just below your rib cage your thumb is brushing across the safety. Time lost - not one nanosecond. If you drill once in a while it becomes completely automatic. Perhaps Todd had a better technique but that's how I was taught.

#11 ·
sholling said:
I cannot imagine that anyone can truly believe that a thumb safety slows anything down. Retention holsters yes... a thumb safety no way. I fully credit that everyone that hangs out here is fully capable of walking and chewing gum. As your weapon is coming up (finger outside the trigger guard) and begins to rotate just below your rib cage your thumb is brushing across the safety. Time lost - not one nanosecond. If you drill once in a while it becomes completely automatic. Perhaps Todd had a better technique but that's how I was taught.
======

I totally agree 200%. Shoot like you train, train like you shoot.

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage

morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested,

exiled or hanged."

~ President Abraham Lincoln ~ Arrest Harry Reed.

#12 ·
I opted for the thumb safety because I intend on having a trigger job performed by Burwell and thought the pistol would be less safe without the thumb safety. After putting 500 or so rounds through it my 45's trigger feels much better that when it was new. These things really do break in nicely. That said I still plan on sending it off to Burwell since I plan on using it mostly for steel plate and IPSC competition. I agree that the manual safety does nothing to slow down the draw. There is plenty of time between gripping drawing and pressing to the target to disengage the safety. There are plenty of 1911's in competition and guess what? They all have manual safeties.

#13 ·
BateleurRGB said:
Personally, I would order the M&P 45 with a thumb safety, just so I could have a nice light trigger job done on it.

I don't feel too comfortable carrying a pistol with a 4 lb trigger and no safety, but put the safety on there and I'm happy.

My main reason I was leaning that way too. I may not carry it, but for IDPA, home defense and possible carry, I think a safety is most prudent.

Thank you all for your input. It will be the one with a safety as I do want a nice trigger on it.

Thank you all again.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.