MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here accustomed to using different grips to shoot different guns? If so, do you have a problem quickly going from one gun to another? Is it wise to have different grips for different guns?

I originally picked up an interest in the M&P lineup because I wanted to move from a thumbs locked down grip to the thumbs-forward competition grip that I learned. I found that the natural shrinking and swelling of my hands with the changes in weather, during workouts, etc. etc. had a big effect on my ability to thumbs-forward grip my Glock. When my hands were swollen the grip was natural but when they weren't (as in right after waking up, etc), the grip wasn't natural nor secure. The M&P's larger backstrap accomodates my hands whether they shrink or swell.

Well, my Glock is still my CCW gun but after 6 months of dedicated practice using the thumbs-forward grip, I still don't have an answer as to how to make the grip work with warm and cold hands. It's enough of an issue that I've gone back to thumbs locked down for the time being until I can decide what to do with my M&P (most likely will sell/trade it).

So I'm kinda in limbo here. If I go with a small revolver like a 642 as a CCW gun then I'd definitely use a thumbs locked down grip. If I pick up another full sized gun that accomodates my hands better, I'll go thumbs-forward.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Thumbs forward for me and it makes no difference what pistol I"m shooting.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had to go to thumbs down with a Browning HP or I'd lock the slide relase down. I find I have to do the same-at least with the gun hand- with the M&P or I get very occasional slide stop early incidents.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oddly enough, if I use a thumbs down grip on the M&P I find it unstable. I prefer the thumbs forward on that gun, which locks it into place in my hands. My Glock by contrast won't be comfortable with that grip unless my hands are swollen and I have grip tape on it. For that gun I threw on a Hogue grip and went back to thumbs down, which is much better. I just don't want to depend on one grip for one gun and another for a different gun.

Furthermore, there's simply not a way I could ever use a thumbs forward on the little 642. My support hand thumb would be out past the muzzle...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If your hands are swelling so much that it affects your grip, you have to see a doctor.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have issues with new guns unless they are real close to something I am familliar with. It mainly has to due with the fact that I have large hands with long fingers, and most guns grips are too small, which allows me to feel like I've got a proper grip while still allowing it to rotate to a position that isn't stable.

But everything is thumbs forward. Thunmbs down makes it easier to lock my grip down on some guns, but it doesn't mean that grip is working for me. So even though it feels like I have better ocntrol, it just means if I don't get the right grip, I have a bad grip really locked down. If I have to get my grip right on the draw for it to work well, then I'd rather use the grip that gives me more control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts