MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new m&p 2.0 9mm compact, locked the slide back, when i went to release the slide it took me a while to get the slide released, it was super tight, any thoughts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The magazine spring is pushing the follower into the slide lock. Try it without the magazine -- that's how it will feel when there is a round in the magazine pushing the follower down.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Generally, M&P 2.0 models have a hard slide release with an empty magazine or even with a loaded magazine. They were intentionally designed that way to keep the slide from spontaneously going forward if a magazine was inserted forcefully. This is a "feature", not a "bug". My old M&P 1.0 would do that but my new 2.0 will not.

The easy way to drop the slide is to "slingshot" it. With an empty magazine you have to drop the magazine slightly first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good info provided above. Texas DPS will disqualify any trainee that uses the slide stop to release the slide. Insert a magazine with one or more rounds, pull the slide back 1/16" and let it go. Round will chamber and you are ready to fire. It also gives the slide a bit more "whomp" to chamber the round if the gun is not kept clean. There is no reason to ever touch the slide stop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Read the manual. You will find no reference to a "slide release" anywhere in it. It does not exist on that pistol.

What you are calling a slide release is a slide stop. It is not intended to release the slide. You can use it that way if you wish, but that is not its intended function.

Quoting from Page 18, to chamber a round,
  • Pull the slide to the rear and release it
That's what you do. It works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some guys have removed the detent which let's it auto forward like the 1.0, but that seems like a bad idea. I get why S&W did it, but they didn't have to make it that stiff in my opinion.

I removed the detent and cut about 2 coils off of the spring inside, that fixed the issue for me. It's light enough to release easily with my thumb, but stiff enough that it won't auto forward no matter how hard I slam the magazine in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts