MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got attacked by a loose dog walkin my dogs. One of my dogs took care of it, now just waiting to file a police report along with a neighbor that saw it

Ugh, what an afternoon

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The important thing here is you or your dogs did not get injured/hurt. I cant stand people like that, they should be fined big time, you or anyone could have been walking your daughter/son and 2 dogs are hard to contain especially if there vicious! I hope there owner gets whats coming to her!!! Happy to hear her dogs got injured and not you and yours! And very nice job on stepping up and filing a report!!!!! She will get whats she deserves!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can't stand stray/loose dogs. I got attacked by one when I was 4 years old out in front of our house. Tore my left arm apart, and got to spend a few hours in the hospital getting rabies shots. Dog didn't live to make it out of the yard - thanks dad.

Also when I was about 12 I was walking our Golden Retriever when a german shepard grabbed her by the throat and refused to let go. Its owner ended up striking it on the head with a long broom handle rendering it unconcious. Pretty sad... all they had to do was use a damn leash.

Some people are extremely irresponsible when it comes to animal ownership, and shouldn't even be allowed to own a goldfish.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Be careful with mace. Like people, some dogs dont react to it or just get more pissed. Also wind blown mace can render you into an unhappy customer. Yore better off with a 45.

·
Registered
255 Posts
TAZ said:
Be careful with mace. Like people, some dogs dont react to it or just get more pissed. Also wind blown mace can render you into an unhappy customer. Yore better off with a 45.

Bold emphasis, mine. "If all you carry is a hammer, every situation starts to look like a nail"

GOOD pepper spray is an invaluable tool against two or four legged animals and should be part of any person's deescalation procedure. There's a reason why police carry it and a handgun.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TAZ said:

I had a pistol with me, a G20. Im not about to go shooting a dog in my neighborhood unless it is absolutely necessary. I am lucky that my dogs acted the way they did. As soon as my German Shepherd saw the dog coming he put himself between myself and the dog. Unfortunately my smallest dog, a girl Lab was on the outside and took the brunt of the attack. She was not hurt though, my Boxer quickly defended her , then he was soon joined by my German Shepherd and that was the end of that.

Lady came running out, absolutely hysterical after she saw her dog literally screaming away, I was pretty scared there at first as there was blood covering my Shepherds muzzle and blood on the ground, turns out that dog bit off more than he could chew and turned out that either my Boxer or Shepherd injured him during the scuffle. Also, another neighbor saw the attack, which turned out to be a good thing.

Looking back on it, I think of mace as a necessity. Having not ever been in a situation like this, I now understand how important it is to have multiple ways out, rather than shooting a dog in a neighborhood with families and small children.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pappy1600 said:

15 Million SHU's?????????? Sheesh. I carry Counter Assault OC-10 on my duty belt. Only 2 million SHU's but I haven't had a perp yet who was able to fight through it. Make sure to note not only the percentage of Oleoresin Capsicum (Counter Assault is 10%) but also the actual percentage of capsaicinoids (C.A. is 13.3%) in whatever you get. Fox is a common consumer brand that is pretty good. My wife's is rated at 5.3 million SHU's, but it is only 2% OC. Fox is a little cheaper too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can't wait until a few years down the road when I can get a dog. I really want a German shepherd. In my opinion a dog is as good or better defense than a gun. A dog will die defending you without hesitation. As far as shooting one, you'd have to be pretty good if one were bolting at you full speed. At my current skill level I don't think I could hit one before it was within point blank range. Whenever I've had a dog come at me I charge the dog and meet him half way, I've never had one stand it's ground, but this has never been on someone's property because I wouldn't be there to begin with. I've found that it's very unsettling to the dog because they're used to being the alpha dog.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thedude said:
I can't wait until a few years down the road when I can get a dog. I really want a German shepherd. In my opinion a dog is as good or better defense than a gun. A dog will die defending you without hesitation. As far as shooting one, you'd have to be pretty good if one were bolting at you full speed. At my current skill level I don't think I could hit one before it was within point blank range. Whenever I've had a dog come at me I charge the dog and meet him half way, I've never had one stand it's ground, but this has never been on someone's property because I wouldn't be there to begin with. I've found that it's very unsettling to the dog because they're used to being the alpha dog.

My GSD is the best dog I have ever had. He is a REAL big boy, but he loves anybody and anything. He loves to play basketball with the neighborhood kids, he is very well behaved. Heck, I had him heeling off leash in one afternoon. Here's a pic..

·
Registered
115 Posts
MAN

Nice looking shepard... glad it worked out for you..

I had a neighbors dog attack my "leashed" dog in my yard.. My son beat it off with a piece of PVC that was handy.. She came running up and i told her if her dog came in my yard again unleashed it would not leave the yard.. she started yelling at me that "you can't do that" .. so i called the Animal control folks and the cops and had them come and give her a ticket..
They suggested i not shoot the dog, but only for safety reasons..

She didn't even offer to pay the $200 vet bill i had when my dog needed stiches.. arrggg..

Ya know you can buy a Walking stick or a Collapsable Batton.. of course with the Shepard and Boxer

I'm just not a fan of spray's.. personal opinion.. Taser ?..

Mouse.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I carry a dog defence spray with me when I walk my dog. He's a 22lb Shih Tzu.... If anything would happen he'd expect me to defend him
but I condider it my job anyway.

First I got a 26” collapsible batton, but it’s pain in the ars to carry around, so I got the spray and now carry it instead.

I like dogs, so even if some dog tried to attack me/my dog I would prefer not to harm* the thing (it’s owner, now that's different...
)

*unless I have no choice

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gray_Wolf said:
I carry a dog defence spray with me when I walk my dog. He's a 22lb Shih Tzu.... If anything would happen he'd expect me to defend him
but I condider it my job anyway.

First I got a 26” collapsible batton, but it’s pain in the ars to carry around, so I got the spray and now carry it instead.

I like dogs, so even if some dog tried to attack me/my dog I would prefer not to harm* the thing (it’s owner, now that's different...
)

*unless I have no choice

I have one of those batons, but I dont think they are legal to carry here in Texas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts