MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I've been debating this for the past few months. Should I apply for my concealed carry permit, or not. First, a little background:

My permenant residence is in one of the most firearm friendly counties in Iowa. So friendly that "demonstrated proficiency and responsibility" is a good enough reasoning for the Sheriff to issue a permit. Unfortunately, the current Sheriff has decided not to run for re-election, which I believe is next fall. If you pass an 8 hour course that includes firing about 50 rounds, pass the NCIC background check, and pay your $11, you're pretty likely to get a permit to carry. The class costs $75, so the grand total for a permit to carry in Polk County, Iowa is a measly $86.

Now here is where I run into my dilemma. I'm very new to firearms. My M&P is my first firearm and I've only had it about 5 months, and am by no means a great shot. However, the shooting portion of the class consists of shots at a full size shillouete target ranging from 5 to 25 yards. I've also been told that they pretty much have you shoot until you achieve the 75% required to pass. The permit is valid state-wide, with the usual alcohol and drugs restriction.

On the other hand, I spend 9 months out of the year in a different county, going to school. This is where I really have to question myself. I spend most of my days in class or at work. I'm not allowed to carry on campus or while at work, since I work on campus. I live off-campus, but aside from the usual runs to the grocery store and the occasional odd errand, I wouldn't really have much need to carry. The problem is I just can't justify it at this point. I know some of you might think that there's always a reason to carry, but I live in a quiet neighborhood, I never have large amounts of cash on me, and I'm kind of an intimidating figure so I don't have too many people messing with me when I'm out.

I am thinking I would like to take the class in order to become better acclimated to the proper handling of firearms, ammunition, etc. Then if I pass, I would still have the certificate from the class needed to apply for my permit, depending on how long the certificate is good for. The earliest I am looking at taking the test is January, as I have a 4 week long winter break, and I'll need something to do for a few days.

The bottom line is, for $86, it would be nice to have, if I ever end up in a SHTF type of situation. It would be nice to have the security of my M&P by my side, but I just can't come up with the justification for it. Help me out here guys, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
What do you have to gain? The ability to take personal responsibility for your own safety. What do you have to lose? Eighty six dollars. Go get it.

Is it illegal to carry at school or just against school policy?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Many people have been victimized in their "quiet" neighborhood or while just "running around the

corner to the store". You can become a victim anytime and anywhere, and police may or may

not be there to protect you. More often than not, we will not be there right when you are

victimized, or make it to the scene in time to protect you from an imminent attack . That's the

ugly reality.

Get the permit, and carry whenever legal to do so. In this day and age, you have to take some

responsibility for your own and family's personal safety.

( My viewpoint does not necessarily reflect that of my employing agency!!! )

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chooch-

I'm almost certain that it is illegal to carry on campus. I can't quote any part of the Iowa code that says so, but our university police wouldn't take too kindly to someone packing in class. Like I said, I spend most of my time on campus, but when I'm off, it would be a great reassurance that I'd be legally allowed to take that responsibility and be able to protect myself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I see no reason NOT to go and get your permit. If you don't exercise your 2A rights, someone will take them away from you before you get a chance to exercise your voice.

As for not feeling comfortable enough around firearms, if you get at little antsy just carry around your unloaded pistol in holster, around the house, for a little to get used to having it there. Wear it out a little bit at a time and eventually it will become part of your daily wear (where legal). Just remember to practice your drawing/reholstering time and time again; the practice will give you confidence.

If nothing else, it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just needed a little push in the right direction. :wink:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'd get the permit...living in a nice area is no guarentee of safety. The family in Cheshire, CT found that out the hard way when those home invaders broke in making national news. I personally believe in carrying at school...I partook in the open holster protest. However, it is illegal in CT to have a weapon on school property. I can't risk a felony as being in the military double jeoparty doesn't apply besides generally ruining my life. My final arguement is $86 in irrelavant when compared to the value of ones life.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Arizona allows Open Carry but I got a CCW for those times I need to enter a Post office, Bank or other restricted place. The CCW allows me to Legaly hide a gun under the seat or wherever in my car while entering such places. Without it a policeman could arrest me if I was seen putting it out of sight.

So go get it.

:twisted:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read somewhere a nice little quote:

"Why do I carry a gun? Because a whole police officer is too heavy."

·
Registered
564 Posts
PantherMan said:
So...I've been debating this for the past few months. Should I apply for my concealed carry permit, or not. First, a little background:

My permenant residence is in one of the most firearm friendly counties in Iowa. So friendly that "demonstrated proficiency and responsibility" is a good enough reasoning for the Sheriff to issue a permit. Unfortunately, the current Sheriff has decided not to run for re-election, which I believe is next fall. If you pass an 8 hour course that includes firing about 50 rounds, pass the NCIC background check, and pay your $11, you're pretty likely to get a permit to carry. The class costs $75, so the grand total for a permit to carry in Polk County, Iowa is a measly $86.

Now here is where I run into my dilemma. I'm very new to firearms. My M&P is my first firearm and I've only had it about 5 months, and am by no means a great shot. However, the shooting portion of the class consists of shots at a full size shillouete target ranging from 5 to 25 yards. I've also been told that they pretty much have you shoot until you achieve the 75% required to pass. The permit is valid state-wide, with the usual alcohol and drugs restriction.

On the other hand, I spend 9 months out of the year in a different county, going to school. This is where I really have to question myself. I spend most of my days in class or at work. I'm not allowed to carry on campus or while at work, since I work on campus. I live off-campus, but aside from the usual runs to the grocery store and the occasional odd errand, I wouldn't really have much need to carry. The problem is I just can't justify it at this point. I know some of you might think that there's always a reason to carry, but I live in a quiet neighborhood, I never have large amounts of cash on me, and I'm kind of an intimidating figure so I don't have too many people messing with me when I'm out.

I am thinking I would like to take the class in order to become better acclimated to the proper handling of firearms, ammunition, etc. Then if I pass, I would still have the certificate from the class needed to apply for my permit, depending on how long the certificate is good for. The earliest I am looking at taking the test is January, as I have a 4 week long winter break, and I'll need something to do for a few days.

The bottom line is, for $86, it would be nice to have, if I ever end up in a SHTF type of situation. It would be nice to have the security of my M&P by my side, but I just can't come up with the justification for it. Help me out here guys, let me know what you think.

You have the right to get a CCW and you won't do it? I wish that I had that opportunity. Jump on it quick before your right is taken away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a no brainer my man...as far as carrying at school or work...I wouldn't worry about that either. Put the weapon in the trunk of your car when you get out. Like they say...I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im sure in that 8 hour course you will learn the legalities of your state and learn about the school carry laws. I would just get it. Things can happen in "quiet towns"....it may not just be your own hide that carry gun could save...it could be your wife's...children...the list goes on....go get it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would go ahead and get the permit, even if I decided not to exercise the privilege. The reason is that it is likely that another "friendly" sheriff will be not be elected or a change in policy that would make obtaining the permit more difficult would occur. And if, you already have a permit, the greater chance there will be that you can more easily renew.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Exercise your rights and get your permit. Even if you don't use it that often at least you have it and you'll help drive up the number of CCP holders in your state. Even if it's by one that's one more the antis hate to see.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd go and get your permit. Laws, regulations, and the mood of the new CLEO in town might prevent you from getting the permit later on in life.

I took my class and got my permit in March of this year. I didn't get the 40c until three months ago or so, and I didn't get a carry rig until last month; 7-8 months after I got my permit.

Get the permit; even if you won't use it at least you have it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As tough as it is for a regular Joe to get a permit in Iowa (I grew up there and went to ISU), I'd jump on the opportunity to get a CHL if I were you. Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. If the gun is concealed on your person, in the backpack, etc., no one in class is going to know you have it on you anyway.

Don't let the shooting test mess with your head. I remember taking mine and was freaked about the time limit only to realize that the time allotted and acceptable scoring zone were way longer and larger than I needed. Consider it one more college exam to sail through.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts