MP-Pistol Forum banner

You Have a Brand New M&P...When did you clean it?

• Clean After You Have a Few 100 Rds in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clean It? I Didn't Know I was Suppose to Do That

• See my comment Below

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Clean or Not to Clean...what's your take?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I clean every new or used firearm I purchase beofre taking it to the range. Not only then am I sure it's clean, but it also helps me get more familiar with it prior to shooting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I always clean and lube a new firearm before first use.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Clean it?

I must know that my gun will work clean dirty and everything in between so I usually shoot the snot out of them without cleaning until they puke then I know the break point and won't let them get there again.

Haven't found the break point with any of my M&Ps yet. Of course letely I have been putting a lot more rounds through everyone else's gun rather than my own, I think mine are getting jealous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To clean or not to clean

I always take any firearm I have bought home and field strip it before I go to the range. I get to be sure that I know the mechanics of how the firearm operates. For example the 40c has a bit different field stripping procedure than my S&W 915 or 410.

I tend not to clean beyond a spray and "wipe down" unless I see a build up in the chamber or barrel.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think ill follow what i learned in the marines.. clean it about every other day.. if you have some down time.. better be cleaning the rifle..

I honestly would think every time you went shooting would be good.. its only going to shoot as good as you can aim and keep it in good shape.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I cleaned before use, not because I thought it might be dirty but to familiarize myself with the takedown procedure and well.... to give myself a chance to fingerfrak it, to be honest. :roll:

A swab down the bore and some light oil on spots is all it really got.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cleaned and lube my M&P9 before I took it to the range last saturday. I did it to my Sig P229 when I first got it and have a good luck doing so. Besides my M&P9 seems to need some lubing on the barrell and rails when I got it NIB. It looks really dry.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Brakefree CLP was posted on other topics so I went out and tried it. I got tell you, I clean my gun constantly, when I used the CLP I couldn't believe how much "dirt" came out of it. It is great and makes the gun look new too. (This forum is full of great info, Thanks).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I definately clean. When I bought it it had the typical thick preservative grease. I clean all of my guns after every shooting session. It's just part of the experience for me. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I field strip and lube before my first use, then clean after the first use. This allows me to familiarize myself with the mechanics. After that, as needed, but frankly, I enjoy cleaning it, so I tend to do so after every use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My MP9 also came bone dry, I cleaned & lubed with S&W polymer safe products anyway. Now I clean after every range trip (about 250 rds) I also use Gunscrubber, it really takes the fun out of the process.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A quick wipe down and some Militec-1 on the seven "oil points" was about all I did before the first range session - which happened to be a local IDPA match. For routine cleaning I use the M-Pro7 gun cleaner and found that to be the best stuff for a thorough cleaning and all around ease of use. (plus the wife doesn't kick me out of the house from the smell).

-B

E

·
0 Posts
Blue Wonder hands down. I use CLP on my rifle, it doesn't work on copper deposits.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Somehow, I don't really think this pistol would really care if it was fired dry.....

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
LockNLoad said:
To Clean or Not to Clean...what's your take?

I always clean a new/used gun I get, just to wipe of the previous man drool off. Kind of makes it officially mine....lol After that whenever you feel the need or want to spiff your baby up, thats on you! JMO

·
Registered
37 Posts
I usually clean mine in the parking lot right after I buy it and go right back in to shoot it.

CCW gun: after every range trip.

Target/fun guns: Usually right before the next range trip.

AR and shotgun: After every shooting session.

New M&P 40c: when my wife is at work. Or whenever I tell her I bought it. :roll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts