MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can save some money, but is it worth it? I used to shoot about 4000 9mm and about 2000 40 S&W a year. Now my 13 year old shoots my Beretta Storm(9mm) when I shoot my M4(.223). So much for only 4000 rounds a year. Anyway it's going to cost about $700 to get a Dillon set up the way I want it. I have had 2 Hornady progressives. They are OK, but I always wanted a Dillon.

Does anybody use a 550B? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I bought a RL550 in 1985 when I was shooting PPC competitively, the ammo that I could easily produce allowed me the practice that was needed to improve my skills, I worked my way up to Master Class, and I have to admit that the Dillon was at least partially to credit for that advancement. It would be difficult to estimate just how much ammo has been loaded on that press, in match season I would often be shooting 500 to 700 rounds per week in practice, so it's gotten quite a workout over the years.

I load 38 special, 357 magnum, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 acp, and 223 Remington on that press.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
for $700 you can get in to a 650 with the casefeeder from Brian Enos.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.650.html

He is a really nice guy to deal with and nobody is going to beat his prices on Dillon stuff. I got my 650 from him several years ago, I had ordered it with a bunch of extra stuff online he called me a couple hours later to make sure of a couple details. Basically he was trying to tell me I didn't one of the things I had ordered so he saved me a few more bucks.

Oh yeah, Don't think you are going to save any money you won't, you'll just shoot more. :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't think

you could go wrong with either the 550b or the 650.. I have the 550b and i like it a bunch.. I load 9mm , 40 and 45 on it, have not gotten to the rifle stuff yet as i don't shoot it much anymore and i still have left over factory ammo.

The 550b is a great machine and easy to operate. As for reloading, if your son is shooting then yeah in the long run your gonna save money cause you can buy in bulk and you can tailor your rounds to what you want.

Plus as your son progresses you can always teach him to load and then he can make bullets that you shoot

Jeff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dillon 550B

You are going to love the Dillon whether it is a 550b or a 650xl.

I have the 550 and my shooting partner has the 650 and I have a lot of experience on both.

If you are going to be changing calibers fairly often, the 550 might be the answer as it is a bit easier to change calibers. On the other hand, if you are going to crank lots of one caliber and only occasionally change calibers, the the 650 may be the answer. I am thinking about getting a 650 and just leaving it setup for my primary caliber and keeping the 550 for the other 8 or 10 calibers that I load on it.

The 650 is definetly faster when equiped with an automatic case feeder. I find when loading cartridges the require large primers on the 650 that I have had a few problems with primers getting flipped on side. That is most likey an operator issue, probably not smooth enough. I have had no such issues with the 650 when using small primers and no problems at all with the 550.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out this Handload Cost Calculator: www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I can reload 50 .45 ACP's for my S&W 1911 for about $4.39. That's under $8.80 per hundred. To put that in perpective, WWB at Wal-Mart are about $26.98 per hundred. That's a huge savings. Of course, if you want to cast the bullets yourself, you can save even more. I use lead bullets that I buy from Mastercast Bullets, www.mastercast.net You'll find they have about the BEST bullets out there at the LOWEST prices and the FASTEST service.

I reload on a Dillon Square Deal B and can reload over 400 per hour, stopping for a diet coke in between. I bought it for $100 less than retail by buying used off e-bay. Dillon really stands behind their products even if you're not the original owner! Mine had a broken piece when it arrived and Dillon sent me a replace part, free of charge, right away! Being new to this machine, I broke another part trying to make an adjustment and again they sent me a free part. Used may be a way for you to save a little money upfront, but new is always nice too.

Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
I also am in debate, I spend roughly $400.00 a month on ammo. But I live in a apartment, so at this point I don't think it is feasible.

I've seen guys mount reloading presses on Black & Decker Work Mates, the Work Mate folds up when you aren't using it, so it takes up very little space. Guys who live in apartments have been very inventive in figuring out ways to mount a press and take up the least amount of space possible, and when you look at how much money you're spending on ammo, you really need a Dillon!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I live in a very small apartment. I've been reloading on my press, in my apartment for about 3 months. I went to the scrap yard, got an 18" steel rim, a 3' length of drive shaft pipe, and a small piece of 1/2" steel plate. I then went to my friend's shop, and we welded the hub of the rim to one end of the pipe, and the 1/2" plate to the other. I drilled and tapped 2 holes and viola, a 50lb stand that cost about $25, works great, and takes up very little space. My whole reloading setup can easily fit in my small closet. But I like the look of it so much, I leave it out.

I know this next comment might not go over very well, but here goes:

I think the Hornaday lock n load AP press is better than the Dillon 650. I like the primer feed system better, and I think it's easier to change dies and/or calibers. Dillon has a better warranty though. So I can see why lots of people like Dillon. But...

(am I going to do it?... screw it, I can take it)

If Dillon sponsored me, I'd put a Dillon sticker on my Hornaday press!

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
This chart is from the IDPA Journal showing what the competitors use for reloading, there seems to be a certain brand that paints their equipment BLUE that dominates the ratings!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Since the subject has come up about limited space, I thought I would post a photo of my very first reloading bench, it was inside a closet, you opened the door and there it was, attached to an existing shelf inside the closet, close the closet door and it was out of sight! As you can see, no expense was spared in that set up!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
MSgt G said:
I bought it for $100 less than retail by buying used off e-bay. Dillon really stands behind their products even if you're not the original owner! Mine had a broken piece when it arrived and Dillon sent me a replace part, free of charge, right away! Being new to this machine, I broke another part trying to make an adjustment and again they sent me a free part. Used may be a way for you to save a little money upfront, but new is always nice too.

Good luck, and have fun!

I also bought a used Dillon off of eBay. I bought a used 550 for around $530 + shipping. It came with a ton of extras - 40SW & 9mm dies, extra toolhead & powder measure, a Lee U die in 40sw that smoothes out the glocked brass, and a bunch of other things.

At the time of the auction I priced the 550 and all of the accessories that were being offered from Dillon's website. The total from Dillon was just under $900 so I feel I got a good deal. One thing that led me to buy a used Dillion is Dillon's NO BS warranty. If any part breaks call or email them and you'll get a replacement in a few days absolutely FREE!

Buying used may work for you, especially with Dillon's great warranty!. I think that spending time with your son on the reloading bench would be great too!

Those of you in apartments thinking that space is an issue...Midway has a portable reloading stand for around $50 or $60. It looks like the base that you see holding 2 bubblebum machines. Go to a Wally World and buy one of those plastic 4 drawer orgainizers to keep your stuff in & you'll have a nice small profile portable reloading work area. The picture of the reloading bench posted by G56 is a real no frills but functional way to go too.

My reloader is mounted on a commercial 3 drawer lateral file cabinet. Small footprint and plenty of storage area for my stuff. I was going to mount it to the workbench in the garage but due to pulling in the car with water on it from rain or snow I was reluctant to do so because of the increased chance of moisture.

Next time I'm at Sears I'm going to look at their rolling utility carts and decide if that would work. With that type of cart being on wheels I could empty the powder measure and roll the cart into the garage to get it out of my family room when we are expecting company.

With ammo prices on the risehow could you NOT consider reloading? Besides the rising cost of ammo you can customize loads to your weapon. IMHO a win win situation!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bet a poll of IDPA shooters would show that Glock is the IDPA gun of choice. The fact that everyone uses something isn't good enough for me to get it.

I still think the Hornaday LNL AP press is Better than the Dillon 650, and better than anything Lee offers. I don't know about RCBS, Lyman, etc. because I've never loaded on one. All I'm saying is, if you're in the market for a press, look at Hornaday.

Ask around on reloading forums. I think you'll find that the new Hornaday press is a real up and comer; like a certain polymer semi-auto we all love.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
and better than anything Lee offers
Every other brand of loading equipment is better than Lee, that stuff is the bottom of the line in loading equipment.

·
Registered
406 Posts
G56, I love your avatar, wolves are my favorite animal. I also really like your signature (I'd love to own a cannon).

I respect you, so I only say this because I care. It saddens me to think of you, toiling and struggling alone in your workshop, loading on inferior equipment.

So sell your Dillon to Morgan Walker or morebullets and get a quality press, get a Hornaday.

Come to the dark side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kinda reminds me of a third-grade playground:

I'm smarter than you!

You don't know nothing!

My daddy makes more money that yours does.

My mother is prettier than yours.

Everyone has an opinion.... but it still just an opinion.

Play and be nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts