MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hear your opinions. Should I sell my M&P 9FS and buy a M&P 45FS. The 45 is easy to get magazines for right now and the 9mm 17 round magazines are impossible. I am a retired police officer this will be my EDC and I do not have trouble concealing either one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a 40 that I carried on duty and no problems but had so much 9mm at the time I bought this pistol. Now I just have got the bug for something different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are really looking for something different and do not want or need the 9FS, then I'd sell it. I understand the mag issue but I'm going to keep mine for now and wait a little longer to see if they show up. I don't shootmy 9fs enough to need more mags anyways.

I'm not sure if they make a conversion barrel for the 45FS, but if they do you could always buy one and go back to the 9mm when you fell the need?

I vote sell it and get what you want. No use having something you don't want.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You're allowed to have more than one. Of course it can get expensive.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have a 49 FS (EDC) and am going to buy a 40c.

·
Registered
581 Posts
get the 45. they are sweet shooter and extremely accurate. if you reload 45, its not really that much more than 9 or 40

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have both :) m&p 9mm CORE 4.25" and the m&p 45 FS with the threaded barrel kit, got the six 14 round magazines at botach for $22 each free shipping :) also added a thumb safety coz I carry a sig 1911.

The trigger in the stock m&p 45 FS was awful, eventually gave in and installed the apex polymer trigger, competition springs, hard sear and USB and boy did it shine. Trigger pull on both 9mm and 45 acp is at 5 lbs and breaks like glass, different feel but same pull weight.

so be prepared if you get the m&p45 FS consider factoring in the apex trigger kit additional $150, I was reluctant at first believing that after market parts does not add value but in my case it did.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The 45c is a nice carry. Plenty accurate and enough rounds to get the job done. Keep the 9 unless you are limited to what you can keep in the closet. As a rule, 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 45 acp.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I want to hear your opinions. Should I sell my M&P 9FS and buy a M&P 45FS. The 45 is easy to get magazines for right now and the 9mm 17 round magazines are impossible. I am a retired police officer this will be my EDC and I do not have trouble concealing either one.
Since they are both nearly the same size, the 45FS of course being somewhat larger, comfort would be my first consideration. I have both, and carry them both in Blade-Tech Eclipse holsters, and both are comfortable, but a tad big while driving, but I can carry numerous ways while driving.

I guess after that, the only reasonable and rational reason would be caliber preference. Please don't start a caliber war..:D
Being a retired LEO, I'm sure you're well aware of carrying a lot of gear, especially while driving, so I'd just go back to caliber preference. The actual size difference of the 9mm/40FS and the .45ACP is fairly negligible, except for weight when fully loaded.

Happy shooting.
FT:smoke:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No caliber war as I have been in two shootings in my career and one was with a 9mm (DODW) and the other was 45 (DODW) so caliber is not in question. I am 61 and soon to be 62 so I have sold off all my weapons except for a couple of them. I decided to go back to the 45FS and have my 9FS up for sale. I appreciate everybody's feelings on this matter.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you like the 9mm keep it. If it's just a mag availability issue you know that a week after you get rid of it mags will become readily available again. On second thought - sell it, lol.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Once the ammo shortage is over and it's readily available, the 9 is half the cost of a 45 to shoot. Simple mathematics of which on you can shoot more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Both will get the job done....as you already know.

I'd keep the 9 and buy the .45 also....I love both. If I had to choose one. It would be the 9 for the simple fact of ammo cost for practice and general shooting....if money isn't a factor then there is no reason not to have both. If it is then on avg I get 9 for $15 a box vs $25 a box for 45. So I would go the save $5 and get 50 more rounds route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Plus...yes it sucks searching for mags...but how many to you "have to have" right now? If you only have a few till you find more is it really that big of an issue? It's not like you'll never get any....I sure wouldn't change guns because I couldn't find one right this second. If that was the case I would have sold my Shield the week after I got it.

Heck even if you have to pay a little extra for a couple the cost of the 1st two boxes of .45 you buy and or the loss you take on selling the 9 and buying the .45 makes that a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts