MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hmph...never really applied them that way, but most of the movement skills he was demonstrating are basics from my HS marching band days.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FieroCDSP said:
Hmph...never really applied them that way, but most of the movement skills he was demonstrating are basics from my HS marching band days.

Marching band?? :oops: Did they shoot pistols as well :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
We learned the same movement skills in marching band also.

Shooting while moving, and playing an instument while moving, requires the same body control.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Todd Jarret is the man, love his shooting and training clips... Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morgan Walker said:
Todd Jarret is the man, love his shooting and training clips... Thanks for the link.

Do you play the flute as well or the drums :wink: :?: Do you know what's with the band business?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
243ww said:
[quote name='Morgan Walker']Todd Jarret is the man, love his shooting and training clips... Thanks for the link.

Do you play the flute as well or the drums :wink: :?: Do you know what's with the band business?[/quote]

Its all about the rhythm and cadence, mate... :wink:

Only the cool people were in band!

But to be very honest I was always on the playing field, never was I in the band. I see what Jason is talking about with situational awareness and hand eye coordination and the similarities with a marching band and shooting on the move.

·
Registered
937 Posts
When you're marching with two bass-drums stacked one on another, any motion is extremely visible. So, you roll your feet and lower your stance to provide an even and stable motion, as well as keep your balance. The hip motion he was performing is called a traverse and is used often by instruments other than the drums to maintain an alignment with the audiance while performing maneuvers. Joke all you want, but the precision required in a competition level marching band or drum corps rivals requirements of any other performance art, as well as some sports.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Only the cool people were in band! :wink:

Band Camp

cool vid

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yep, Corp style marching taught a lot of these traits. I was a percussionist for about 10 years. I went to a High School that was VERY pro football. My senior quote was "Because of band, I'm going to Australia and Hawaii this year. Where has football taken you?"

I learned to shoot on the move playing paintball. Nothing like shooting a heavy gun with inaccurate ammo while sprinting and avoiding incoming fire to make you learn how to keep a level shooting platform. It also taught you how to use cover well. With real firearms, paintball cover only becomes concealment, but it all helps.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
But to be very honest I was always on the playing field, never was I in the band. I see what Jason is talking about with situational awareness and hand eye coordination and the similarities with a marching band and shooting on the move.

I was also on the field playing during football. During a football game was the only time I got a break from marching band.

It's all about isolating your upper body from the movement of your lower body. The technique looks simple, but it's difficult to master. Marching in a parade for hours, using this technique, really helps to develop the muscles needed.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MI_Jester said:
Yep, Corp style marching taught a lot of these traits. I was a percussionist for about 10 years. I went to a High School that was VERY pro football. My senior quote was "Because of band, I'm going to Australia and Hawaii this year. Where has football taken you?"

I learned to shoot on the move playing paintball. Nothing like shooting a heavy gun with inaccurate ammo while sprinting and avoiding incoming fire to make you learn how to keep a level shooting platform. It also taught you how to use cover well. With real firearms, paintball cover only becomes concealment, but it all helps.

MI_Jester

So at my age you recon I should go join a band? 8) :oops:
I don't think so... I might just watch all the youngsters running and wiat... Take it nice and easy. 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts