MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever feel like you just have too much stuff on your AR-15? I got a package from John at rainierarms with some stuff in it today and decided to put it all on the AR, and wow did it look cluttered. Reminds me of your typical Arfcomer's "tacticool" AR with all kinds of lights, optics, mounts, lasers, bayonets, magnifiers, and all the other bullshit they'll never use or need. Mine is not nearly as bad as most of the one's on arfcom, though. Not only does all of it look stupid but it makes the gun way a ton. So, I took some stuff off and brought it back to the basics that I need for my home defense/bedside gun. I might put the aim, RDP-II, and Harris back on for the range, but for now it's just the Centurion C4 sights, and TLR-1 - sexy!

Was like this:

Now like this for the house:
Perfection!

Had it like this, but it doesn't take a genius to realize I'd be deaf for a week if I had to use it. If not from the gun going off, then from my wife and daughter yelling and screaming for hours...

AR's are too much damn fun. I should've started messing with them at 18. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
+1 on everything you said.

I stay to the BARE basics on my AR. Only accesory I have is my new ACOG... speaking of which... picture time!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Josh,

Looking nice, either way. Simpler is better for me, because in a just-awakened stupor I'm lucky if I can find the floor!

How much of a registration/regulation hassle is the silencer? Do you recall what the "tags" cost?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
czydj said:
Josh,

Looking nice, either way. Simpler is better for me, because in a just-awakened stupor I'm lucky if I can find the floor!

How much of a registration/regulation hassle is the silencer? Do you recall what the "tags" cost?

$200 tax stamp... if that is what you're asking about.

Check www.gunbroker.com in the NFA section.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
josh said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']speaking of which... picture time!

I've only been waiting since yesterday when you said you got them in! Hurry!
[/quote]

Posted!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Where is my Cow?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='josh'][quote name='Grimwulff']speaking of which... picture time!

I've only been waiting since yesterday when you said you got them in! Hurry!
[/quote]

Posted![/quote]

I will confirm Grim's AR is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet with the new ACOG mounted.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
czydj said:

It's about as painful as buying a handgun if you find a competent Class 3/NFA dealer. The only hard part is waiting until the ATF approves your Form 4 for you to actually go pick the suppressor up and take home. The rest is easy - buy silencer, copy its info onto Form 4 and fill in the blanks with your info, get passport photo's taken, fingerprints taken, get local CLEO(Chief Law Enforcement Officer) to sign off on your Form 4, and mail it all in to the NFA branch of the ATF along with a check for $200 for the transfer tax... then wait.

My first suppressor purchase, from the time I paid until the time I took them home, took about 4 months. My dealer lost my photo's twice, and it took them 2 months to realize it the first time, and 1 month the second time. Once they actually submitted the paperwork to the ATF it only took about 3 weeks to get approved.

If you form a non-revocable living trust you can make silencer purchases even less of a headache. Buy suppressor, fill out Form 4, make a check out for $200, mail all in with a notorized copy of your Trust paperwork, and wait about 2-3 weeks for it to get approved. No CLEO sign off, no pictures, no fingerprints.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Morgan Walker said:
Where is my Cow?

Moo?

bam-bam,

I got the idea from someone on arfcom or m4carbine. I loved it. I have another that is the opposite, black center with FDE outers, but I like this one better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
josh said:
[quote name='czydj']

It's about as painful as buying a handgun if you find a competent Class 3/NFA dealer. The only hard part is waiting until the ATF approves your Form 4 for you to actually go pick the suppressor up and take home. The rest is easy - buy silencer, copy its info onto Form 4 and fill in the blanks with your info, get passport photo's taken, fingerprints taken, get local CLEO(Chief Law Enforcement Officer) to sign off on your Form 4, and mail it all in to the NFA branch of the ATF along with a check for $200 for the transfer tax... then wait.

My first suppressor purchase, from the time I paid until the time I took them home, took about 4 months. My dealer lost my photo's twice, and it took them 2 months to realize it the first time, and 1 month the second time. Once they actually submitted the paperwork to the ATF it only took about 3 weeks to get approved.

If you form a non-revocable living trust you can make silencer purchases even less of a headache. Buy suppressor, fill out Form 4, make a check out for $200, mail all in with a notorized copy of your Trust paperwork, and wait about 2-3 weeks for it to get approved. No CLEO sign off, no pictures, no fingerprints.[/quote]

Josh,

Thanks for the excellent info and now it looks like I'll "invest" MORE money into this adventure!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Josh, I have rights to that cow display dont you know, so dont let me remind you again or I will sue... :wink: Possibly in the amount of ummmmmmmm lets say maybe 1 AR with too many accessories.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
czydj said:
Josh,

Thanks for the excellent info and now it looks like I'll "invest" MORE money into this adventure!

Careful, though, you'll get addicted to these things fast. Makes owning guns 10x's more fun.
silencertalk.com/forum is a good place to read up on silencers. Be aware that the place is full of idiots and some very biased folks.

Morgan Walker said:
Josh, I have rights to that cow display dont you know, so dont let me remind you again or I will sue... :wink: Possibly in the amount of ummmmmmmm lets say maybe 1 AR with too many accessories.

I meant to take a picture of it earlier, but my wonderful 15 month old was "helping" me take those pictures. I got distracted. She's such a help... turned a 15 minute job into about an hour's worth of work... love her more than anything, though! 8) I think I probably said no about 400 times in that hour - never seen her laugh and do her evil grin so many times.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
josh said:
I meant to take a picture of it earlier, but my wonderful 15 month old was "helping" me take those pictures. I got distracted. She's such a help... turned a 15 minute job into about an hour's worth of work... love her more than anything, though! 8) I think I probably said no about 400 times in that hour - never seen her laugh and do her evil grin so many times.

Where do Irecognize that TLR-1 (hmmmm) :wink: I reall like the snub nose with the bipod combo your AR has a lot going on and in a good and bad way. My daughter sees my toys and right away does the sign for "pain" but when she gets to the ripe old age of 7 that sign will be replaced for fun..
Alls you need is to sell that aimpoint drop an ACOG and youre golden buddy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
Alls you need is to sell that aimpoint drop an ACOG and youre golden buddy

+1, I wish I had an ACOG!
:twisted:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet'] Alls you need is to sell that aimpoint drop an ACOG and youre golden buddy

:twisted:[/quote]

First I have to wish a AR then an ACOG :oops:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
[quote name='Grimwulff'][quote name='101Combat Vet'] Alls you need is to sell that aimpoint drop an ACOG and youre golden buddy

:twisted:[/quote]

First I have to wish a AR then an ACOG :oops:
[/quote]

Just steal one from your surplus
You are active duty, so use that to get a discounted one.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Grimwulff said:
Just steal one from your surplus
You are active duty, so use that to get a discounted one.

I have stayed outta any kind of cell for 27 years lets not start now
Although I have been kinda close I just have to learn patience and save instead of spend....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts