MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to all this--

I took my 9mm EZ to range for first time. I cleaned it lightly first. Wiping down with wet patches and oiling with wet patches and QTips. The pointed ones. Cleaned and lightly oiled barrel. Hit the lube points per "multiple videos" I watched and S&W Manual.

I shot a magazine of the new 124g Federal Premium Personal Defense JHP. Did fine. Gun shot very well.

Then a magazine of Winchester JHP 147g #Zq4429. They jammed after first shot.

Went back to the Federal and it jammed after a couple shots.

Then tried my Speer Lawman 115g #53650. They worked fine. Retried Federal and a whole magazine worked. But, then after trying the 147g again and having it jam the Federal jammed again.

Shot some more 115g then 124g ok. Then more 115g

Is this gun not capable go handling the 147g? RSO said different guns just don't like some ammo and the 147g may be too high for my gun.

Is this true and could I have not oiled it enough. A lot of videos stress you don't want a lot of oil.

I know there is a lot of different opinions. But, want be sure it is not a gun issue.

I will re-clean and get what i think should be enough oil where it is suppose to be.

Not going to buy the 147g anymore.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I wonder if the COAL is a bit too long on the 147 grainers. It may very settle down with a little more shooting, and wind up shooting anything then.

I have no experience with them, as I’ve always shot 115 grain 9mm in my M&Ps.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys. Will keep them for now until I have a lot more rounds shot on the gun.

I want a hollow point for the home for the obvious reasons. Hard to find them locally. RSO had Hornady, and I thought he said they were 115g. Not sure. He has a Shield 2.0.

I will have to look around where I live and find more 115g regular and hollow point. The range were I shoot had no 9mm for my gun. Can't believe that. I guess it and certain handguns are being bought up. I guess.

I would like to be able to continue with the 124g Federal JHP. It shot very well. And worked fine till the 147g went in.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the lighter Spring, I assume, in an EZ not be strong enough to load a heavier grain bullet?

Or, as mentioned, the bullet shape.

I read the 147 grain box. It said they are high pressure. 10 to 15% above normal. Military use. Unless all 147 grain say that.

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are plenty of forum threads about the feeding problems with the 380EZ. I just assumed it was from the 380 round. But then the same problems started appearing with the 9. My Shield is a .40 and I use 180 grain ammo. It wouldn’t feed properly the first few mags that went through it. It went back to S&W, they replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp, no problems since. 147 grain is my round of choice for a 9mm. As long as you are using quality ammo it should handle it fine. By quality I don’t mean it needs to be expensive, everything I have handles low cost WWB range ammo just fine.

There is no break in for S&W guns. If it doesn’t work properly with good ammo out of the box; something is wrong. Call or email them. They sent me a shipping label and covered shipping both ways. If I remember right, mine turnaround was about 12 days. But keep in mind they do an annual 2 week shutdown in July or august; that will impact times if you wait until then.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good timing ToolMaker

I just got off the phone with S&W. Said pretty much what was posted here. Guns can be finicky. The lighter coil could be issue. But, it should be able to shoot all the rounds that I mentioned.

Said if after a few hundred rounds still an issue. Send it to them to check out.

Very nice folks

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Found some 9mm ammo locally for my EZ. Got some standard 115g Winchester. But, then didn’t pay attention. Guy said all the ammo on the shelf would work for me. So, I wanted some Hornady 124g. Got home and saw it was XTP. +P. Manual says I can use that. But, not sure I won’t have same issue as the 147g. Doubt they take it back to exchange.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Got my wife a Shield EZ 9 and have run several hundred rounds of 115 and 124 grain through it without any issues. Federal, Blazer brass and American Eagle.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi agksimon

I am ok on standard 115 and 124. Just an issue with 147

Now not sure on the Hornady XTP +P I bought.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I exchanged the +P for Hornady Critical Defense. 115 grain.

Also, been looking at gun cleaning videos to see what may work for me as an infrequent range shooter. Maybe once a month. 50 rounds or less. Saw one from Atlas Gunworks where they don’t clean the barrel. What are anyone’s thoughts on that. They seem to be a custom gun shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Also, been looking at gun cleaning videos to see what may work for me as an infrequent range shooter. Maybe once a month. 50 rounds or less. Saw one from Atlas Gunworks where they don’t clean the barrel. What are anyone’s thoughts on that. They seem to be a custom gun shop.
You always clean the barrel after shooting.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do and will. The info was from a Schueman article. Guess they use to make higher grade barrels. I didn't go into depth on it. Just thought it interesting.

Chamber and ramp yes, the threaded part of barrel, no.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

I clean my carry guns every time they’re shot. My range guns; 2-3 times a year. The M&P9 that I use for IDPA and training will go over 1500 rounds between cleanings with no malfunctions. I know because it’s done that several times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chris.praying
Registered

Joined 7 d ago
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 a moment ago
I purchased 2 M&P 9mm EZ guns 2 weeks ago.
i had a failure to feed problem with one.
called got a return shipping label .
Now I have the same problem with the other one.
We gave ran about 400 rounds of different Factory 115g ammo thru them. With 6 different magazines.(marked them after 1st problem)
i called and they are now sending a different shipping label for the 2nd one.
they said I would have to wait 6 weeks..
I just bought them 2 weeks ago. had I knew this, I would have never purchased them.
unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel your pain. Checked on mine which was received 2 weeks ago by S&W. They said it is in repair. But, 6 week turn around. I was just getting familiar with it. New to handguns. There does seem to be others with the same issue. Hopefully, when I get it back, no issues. Most have had the extractor worked on/replaced and feed ramp polished. Just gotta suck it up and wait. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I sort of sympathize with all these brand new gun owners. In the price range that most new owners stay, it seems that all companies have slipped badly in their quality control and inspection departments.

Those of us who've been shooting for quite some time have some old and really reliable guns and we also get frustrated with some of these new ones: You are lucky if you get a good one, and not so lucky if you get one that has to go back, and unlucky if you get a lemon which still won't work after 3 or 4 trips back to the factory.

At least S&W and also Ruger are both noted for their wonderful customer service. My feeling is it should not have to be so wonderful.........they should make the guns better in the first place. You know, like the old ads about the Maytag repairman? But that's just my feeling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunate to see issues with the 9EZ, I was hoping it would be more reliable than the 380 version so I could get one for the wife...guess I'll wait or get her a Shield like my EDC. My Shield 9 2.0 has never jammed or had any other issues with about 1000 rounds through it with multiple different ammo weights and brands. I love my Shield for carry and it shoots pretty well for it's size...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unfortunate to see issues with the 9EZ, I was hoping it would be more reliable than the 380 version so I could get one for the wife...guess I'll wait or get her a Shield like my EDC. ..... I love my Shield for carry and it shoots pretty well for it's size...
Has your wife shot your Shield and, if so, does she like it and can she rack the slide to slide lock? If not, for heaven's sake, do not buy one or any other gun for her until she has shot it and it works for her!

Do you buy shoes and purses for your wife? Don't buy guns for your wife either, fellow, unless you want to add to your own collection or lose money selling or trading a series of guns. My dear husband learned that quickly when he bought me my first semi-auto after I had been shooting revolvers for some time. That hunk of junk went BACK and I picked the one I wanted, and have done so ever since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts