MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the wife to the range to shoot pistols for her first time. She's expierence with small caliber rifles. We took the G19, SW 22A, and a Ruger Super Six .22lr. Unfortunately the M&P is still having aftermarket sights installed so I couldn't play with that
. She really liked the SW 22A but not the G19...too heavy and she doesn't like the recoil. I want to get her a carry gun but keep with something really small...obviously I'd like something a little bigger than a .22lr. I'd also like an auto loader vice a revolver for her. Anyone got any ideas... The only thing is that there isn't a range/gun shop that you can rent and shoot before you buy. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
For someone who is that recoil sensitive and probably not all that interested in shooting, why insist on an autoloader? A revolver would be a much easier gun for her to learn. Something like a 442 would serve perfectly well. Use standard pressure wadcutters for practice and then load something a little more stout for carry. If you can, throw on a set of Lasergrips ... they do wonders for folks who can't or don't practice.

But the best thing you can do for her is get her training from someone qualified to teach new shooters. Teaching your significant other to shoot is fraught with problems. Send her to a class by herself, just something simple like NRA First Steps or Personal Protection. She won't be nearly as stressed or emotionally distracted as when you're there. She can build a little confidence and learn about shooting, then make her own decision about what kind of gun she wants.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to get her a M&P9c she doesn't like the recoil. She wants an autoloader because she doesn't like reloading a revolver. Maybe, it was just the way the Ruger has to be reloaded through a gate. I want something that she'll be comfortable carrying and shooting at the range. She's plenty good with a .22lr pistol (at 15 yards she had about a 4" group of a hundred rounds or so, maybe 10 wingers). I also want her not to be afraid of pulling the trigger...I'd rather she hit center mass every time with a .22 than miss with a 9mm and drop it. What do you guys think of .25 acp or .32acp. I was also looking at North American Arms both autos and revolvers...anyone with any expierence in the NAA ammo. How big of a pain is it to get? Thanks for all the advice thus far.

·
Registered
937 Posts
There are a lot of compact sized guns in 380 Auto. The Bersa Thunder is a nice choice. The one I fired was easy to point and didn't have all that bad of a recoil. I personally wouldn't trust my life to a 32ACP, but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
There are a lot of compact sized guns in 380 Auto. The Bersa Thunder is a nice choice.
I have a Bersa .380 and most of the recoil sensitive newbs that have shot my guns preferred my 9mms over the blowback Bersa.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I think all size calibers serve a purpose if you get a head shot with a .22 theres a good chance a body bog awaits that person.. I think for a first carry for a female a .32 would be a great investment with a lot of range time and ammo you can learn from the gun how to shoot and where...IMHO

also a .38 snub noise although some kick very noisy bigger noise bigger gun (mind of a bg) I had a .38 with a 2 inch barrell real nice and easy to conceal

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, I've trained some ladies to shoot and ran into an unexpected situation, some of them were buying small semi autos, but some of the ladies lacked the strength to work the slides on them!

If you look at a semi auto make sure she can handle it before buying it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
G56 said:
One thing to keep in mind, I've trained some ladies to shoot and ran into an unexpected situation, some of them were buying small semi autos, but some of the ladies lacked the strength to work the slides on them!

Very true. My wife who is 100 pounds soaking wet has only been able to rack the slide on my Bersa once. But she has no problem with my larger pistols.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G56 said:

Great point...I guess I'll just have to suck it up
and take her to the gun show next week so she can try a few on for fit and size.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Did she express interest in carrying, or is it just you who would like her to carry?

Just asking, because if she truly wants to carry a weapon, recoil is something you get used to through enough shooting and proper training. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If a g19 is too heavy, and 9mm is too much recoil, there's basically nothing out there that is a godo SD gun that she will like. Anything lighter will recoil more, anything that reoils less is going to be heavier.

Have you had her double plug to see if that reduces her recoil sensitivity?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya'll are probably right. I'll start her off small and see if I can work her up to the MP9c. I think the G19 might just have been too heavy and no she doesn't like the noise either. Either way I forsee my pistol collection growing...sadly it'll be on the smaller side. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got my mother a S&W 342PD in .32 H&R magnum and she Loves it.

It's nice because it has similar ballistics to the .38 with less recoil and holds 6 rounds. It will also take .32 long with even less recoil. She shoots 4-5" groups at 25'. Not great but not bad for a snubby. The ammo is a little pricey, but she doesn't shoot more than 50 rounds an month.

She loves to shoot my M&Pc 9mm and my Sig P239 9mm but has trouble loading the mags. and racking the slide. I felt more comfortable (as dose she) with a firearm that she can operate when she needs to.

Unfortunately S&W discontinued it but they can still be found.(I kind of want one for myself) Ruger or Taurus might still make one.

I just thought I'd throw this option in the pot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
wife's gun

I would check out the Beretta 32 auto, tip up bbl, so she does not have to pull the slide,

32acp ammo has come a long way, Corbon, Silver Tips. Good luck

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: wife's gun

8th SPS USAF said:
I would check out the Beretta 32 auto, tip up bbl, so she does not have to pull the slide,

32acp ammo has come a long way, Corbon, Silver Tips. Good luck

I think I'm gonna either go with the Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat or A North American Arms Guardian...but right now its looking like it'll be a .32. Start her off small and see if she ever wants to shoot something bigger in the future. I was going to go for the 380 but I'd much rather have something she enjoys shooting and can grow with that have something that she doesn't like. She's already told me she wishes that the range was closer. Its about an hour and a half to go shooting. Thanks for the advice guys...as always the forum members come through yet again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife loves her Bersa Thunder 380. She is recoil sensitive and has trouble shooting my 9mm Kahr CW9. I've tried to talk her into letting me get her a Smith 3913, but she has no interest in it. She is comfortable with the Bersa and it has been completely reliable, so no point in me arguing with her. I recommend the Bersa because it points very naturally, handles the .380 recoil well despite being a blowback and has been reliable for us. When I shoot it I marvel at how easy it is to shoot accurately. Excellent value for the money, IMHO.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Someone mentioned the KT380? They recoil terribly. I doubt many women would want to shoot it more than a few times. I have a P32 which is much easier to shoot. I load it with one Corbon or Fiocchi HP and Fiocchi ball for the rest of the mag to prevent rimlock. I am very confident with it and it is a fun gun to shoot. Its a might small and muzzle awareness is paramount when teaching someone new to use it though. Some of the larger .380s, like the Browning BDA and Berettas, are nice shooters and are very easy on recoil. Personally, I would feel best with a new shooter to get a nice 2-3 inch steel snub nose with some reasonable ammo. Easy to use, fun to shoot, and a nice compromise on firepower.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts