MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvrG4T2K4sE

this is just over #1 (AK-47) but it lists 2 through 10... and I must say that I think it isn't completely right. It should have included the K31... which is probably the nicest battle rifle that i've personally handled.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Good watch and very interesting.

I watched some other vids and the old AK seems to shoot like crap.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Very interesting thanks

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Its a good documentary. Don't agree on the order or choice of everything though. But then you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers on that sort of thing. Didn't know it was on YouTube. Good one.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steelshooter said:
Its a good documentary. Don't agree on the order or choice of everything though. But then you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers on that sort of thing. Didn't know it was on YouTube. Good one.

Did you watch the other videos in the series? Just below the video, it says that the video is a "This is a video response to TOP 10 :Combat Rifles - M16(No.2) " and it is a link to the video section for the #2 weapon, the M16... which has a link in the same place to the #3 weapon. So on and so forth.

Honestly, they rated the accuracy of the AK way to high and based a lot of their decision making on how long the weapon was in service, and not how good it was. Shame, really, because it almost automatically disqualifies a lot of good weapon just by that standard. However, it did give me a good idea of what i'm purchasing in the near future... one of them being the K98.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
It's interesting, Kalashnikov always denied that he copied the operating system of the Sturmgewehr, but if you look at the operating system, it is clearly a copy. What he did was to open up the clearances of the system so it could operate in almost any conditions, fouled with mud or sand, it just keeps going.

Most rifles operate on the minute of angle, the AK operates on what has been called "minute of battlefield", it's designed as a spray and pray weapon, it's not very accurate, and never was intended to be, one clue to that is the sights on it, they aren't very good, and the sighting radius is very short, which isn't good for accuracy either.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
G56 said:
Most rifles operate on the minute of angle, the AK operates on what has been called "minute of battlefield", it's designed as a spray and pray weapon, it's not very accurate, and never was intended to be, one clue to that is the sights on it, they aren't very good, and the sighting radius is very short, which isn't good for accuracy either.

Thats what fully auto is for

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G56 said:
It's interesting, Kalashnikov always denied that he copied the operating system of the Sturmgewehr, but if you look at the operating system, it is clearly a copy. What he did was to open up the clearances of the system so it could operate in almost any conditions, fouled with mud or sand, it just keeps going.

Plus it uses the leaf sights from the Mosin Nagants, which aren't exactly the best examples of their style. If anything could be said about the USSR and its weapon manufacturing... it was definetly good at making mass-produced weapons to be used by multiple soldiers after the original user died from the inability to put the bullet where he needed it.

The episode on the Sturmgewehr in that series is very good... it is obvious via the history of that weapon, that the real effect of a fully auto machine gun on a battle is spray and pray. Then again, like mentioned in the M16 section, the marines in Iraq have been experiencing so many long-distance head shots with the M16, that there was an actual inquiry into whether or not we were just executing people. This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder when it comes down to making a Top 10 list. Personally, I couldn't leave out any of the Swiss rifles... and the AK would be on it just because of its history... but it definetly wouldn't get a 50% rating on accuracy.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It is pretty obviously a copy of the Sturmgewehr although easier to make and not nearly so finicky. The AK is actually pretty accurate with decent sights. More than good enough for most uses.

G56 said:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good video I just don't agree with their order...come'on the Lee Enfield over the Garand?! I also think the Sturmgewehr 44 should have placed highly based on the fact that at the time it was revolutionary and the fact that Hitler hated it!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah I didn't get the Lee-Enfield placing either. I think it was an antiquated rifle by WWII. The Sturmgewher was the first widely used assault rilfe and should have rated higher. The Springfield is essentially a Mauser.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Vector Arms AK and it is as accurate as any rifle I have owned, out to 300 yards I can get hits on a steel 12X12 steel plate every time. If I had to choose a rifle to go into harms way with, it would be a good quaility AK. Theres alot of negitive talk about the AK's accuracy, but remember every dirt hole country with a machine shop has been making the rifles, good quailty AK's give very good accuracy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't believe the G3 was nowhere on that list. It has surely been at least as influential as the Steyr or the FAL. And widely copied too (many firms besides HK have produced it under license).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts