MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is someone going to do a massive torture test of an M&P similar to the one done by PTOOMA on the Glock 23 or what Glock did on the G17? I would think that this could help the decision making process with some law enforcement agencies and might be something S&W should promote.

And no, I would not want to volunteer my M&P. :?

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Several of the magazines have done that in the past, I would almost bet they are planning something like that for the M&P in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm a huge fan of this pistol and betting on it, having just bought my second one in two weeks with a third on it's way, but not sure this pistol is ready for a torture test. There seems to be an inordinate amount of issues with this pistol from broken strikers to FTE's and sights falling off. LIke I said, I'm a fan, and will withhold any further comment till I get to wring out my full size, (the compact has about 350 problem free rounds, which isnt enough for any kind of test), but not altogether encouraging feedback across this board.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
When you look at a message board you are looking at a concentration of problems, it's kind of like the Glocks, they don't blow up that often, but looking at some of the reports online, someone could easily get the idea that every Glock is a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Jagman said:
There seems to be an inordinate amount of issues with this pistol from broken strikers to FTE's and sights falling off. LIke I said, I'm a fan, and will withhold any further comment till I get to wring out my full size, (the compact has about 350 problem free rounds, which isnt enough for any kind of test), but not altogether encouraging feedback across this board.

Wouldn't this be the reason to DO a torture test? With all these problems I would think people would say to buy the gun if you like its looks not if you want a gun. A turture test would be a way to find out how much can go wrong with this gun. Loose sight, broke striker, mag jams, slide failures, KB, FTF/FTE, anything. If anyone did this I think S&W would be happy to show the results. Everyone knows about the tests Glocks go through. Imagine how popular this gun would become if it stood up to the same tests as a Glock or one even harder. I think someone should put ONE M&P through an entire torture test. Cold, dirt, water, sand, angled firing, trying to make it jam, anything. The worst tests they can think of. Point blank into a pressure treated or oak 6x6

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not certain a torture test is good for anything except gun magazine reading and photo ops. Think about it, you are looking at ONE gun. I think any company can make a lemon or a jewel, depending on the mood of the final QC guy to what day of the week it's made. Chuck Taylor writes about his Glock 17 that has some ungodly number of rounds through it, 100K plus or something, that is a long term test that is a bit more interesting. A really fun to read and useful torture test would take more time and involve more guns-not practical for magazine sales or ad copy.

Take a couple of dozen-50 would be better-and issue them to police officers. I'd want shooters from total newbies to hot-shots who would use them in competition off-duty. Gather opinions from everyone over a year, keeping in mind that everyone has their favorites and prejudices. Use a short opinion poll to take a baseline "opinion" of the gun. Have the range master/armorer maintain records on round counts, etc. Failure rates, repairs, round counts, and other observations. Re-present the poll and compare "I like better" to "I don't likes" and "I don't care."

I know this isn't as much fun as freezing it in a block of ice, throwing it out of a helicopter, and running over it with a truck, but it would be useful.

And I've seen officers who can somehow manage to do more to a gun IN the holster than UNDER a truck tire in a year!

·
Registered
94 Posts
tstrenuous10 said:
[quote name='Jagman']There seems to be an inordinate amount of issues with this pistol from broken strikers to FTE's and sights falling off. LIke I said, I'm a fan, and will withhold any further comment till I get to wring out my full size, (the compact has about 350 problem free rounds, which isnt enough for any kind of test), but not altogether encouraging feedback across this board.

Wouldn't this be the reason to DO a torture test? With all these problems I would think people would say to buy the gun if you like its looks not if you want a gun. A turture test would be a way to find out how much can go wrong with this gun. Loose sight, broke striker, mag jams, slide failures, KB, FTF/FTE, anything. If anyone did this I think S&W would be happy to show the results. Everyone knows about the tests Glocks go through. Imagine how popular this gun would become if it stood up to the same tests as a Glock or one even harder. I think someone should put ONE M&P through an entire torture test. Cold, dirt, water, sand, angled firing, trying to make it jam, anything. The worst tests they can think of. Point blank into a pressure treated or oak 6x6[/quote]

Good points and agree! I'd love to see the pistol come through with flying colors...just don't think it would right now.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If they did something like that now it could prevent US from finding out flaws in QC. I do agree, sheepdog's test would be the best. After so many officers shooting it in competition, range or backwoods it would put a lot more guns into a lot more shooter's hands and it would just come out with results condusive to the product at hand (pun).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Errr, I'm the one who complained about his loose front sight, It's fine now and the gun is a gem. Ohhh, I ran over it today before the range trip and it performed great--the sights are still tight. My neighbors are going to move though--this was too weird for them I guess. ;> I took sharp corners too so the gun would bang around with my jack in the trunk. So that's one man's torture test I guess. Maybe I'll put it in the dishwasher tonight, then the freeze......then I'll jump off a haytruck in Hazzard county, onto the gun, then I'll shooti it, ;>

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the idea of just running massive quantities of ammunition through about 50 M&Ps until they fail. I don't care about encasing it in concrete, dropping it from a low-flying aircraft, and shooting it with a .22 rifle. I want to know how many rounds it takes to make the thing cry "uncle."

·
Registered
33 Posts
BIG CELT did an unbelievable torture test on his M&P 9 and did a video to boot but ran into some liabilty issues about the release or sale of it. Ask him about it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If someone will send me a M&P I will do a very in depth torture test.

I'll buy all the ammo and related materials. I prefer to use a fullsize 9mm, just to save on ammo, but a fullsize .40 will be fine also.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I promise, guys, police holsters are much rougher than helicopter falls and ice blocks-more in line with bouncing in the trunk with the jack in Hazzard County. At least some grease from a breakfast burrito, hastily eaten on the way to the next call, may spray or drip on the gun accidentally, providing more lubrication than the ice block. 8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
sheepdog said:
I promise, guys, police holsters are much rougher than helicopter falls and ice blocks-more in line with bouncing in the trunk with the jack in Hazzard County. At least some grease from a breakfast burrito, hastily eaten on the way to the next call, may spray or drip on the gun accidentally, providing more lubrication than the ice block. 8)

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Carrying a pistol 40+ hours a week is much harder on it than torture tests. Even something as simple as getting in and out of an air-conditioned car can cause moisture problems for pistol and ammunition because of condensation.

I am prone to bumping in to objects occasionally with mine, and like recently, wrestling a doper on a concrete sidewalk. These types of actions can be very rough on equipment.

·
Registered
260 Posts
farsteve said:
When is someone going to do a massive torture test of an M&P similar to the one done by PTOOMA on the Glock 23 or what Glock did on the G17? I would think that this could help the decision making process with some law enforcement agencies and might be something S&W should promote.

And no, I would not want to volunteer my M&P. :?
I don't know of any "massive torture test" but the Cincinnati Police Department did a torture test of sorts before they decided to adopt the M&P9.

I mentioned it in this thread.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

·
Registered
111 Posts
palmetto sharpshooter said:
BIG CELT did an unbelievable torture test on his M&P 9 and did a video to boot but ran into some liabilty issues about the release or sale of it. Ask him about it.
Even if there is a liability issue with releasing a video, can't we get a text version at least?!?! It's real simple: What was done and did the gun survive to continue shooting??

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmmm.....has anyone actually seen this video? I don't understand why there would be any liability for posting it on the internet. Can anyone explain that? And is it explained anywhere what actually took place in the test? As someone else pointed out, there is certainly isn't anything preventing that from being posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts