MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here and this is my first post. I really would appreciate your input here!!

I may be considering something very stupid here. I have been reading a lot of very favorable reviews on the new S&W M&P .40 guns. I was able to hold a M&P Compact today. It felt great!!

I have owned a Glock G27 for a couple of years now. I know you should never get rid of a gun, but I do not have the $$ to just buy another gun. I am considering selling the G27 and buying the M&P .40. Is there anyone here with any experience with the two guns? How do they compare?

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Welcome.

I have a lot of experience with the sub-compact Glocks, but I have yet to shoot the M&Pc .40. I have shot a M&Pc 9mm.

How do you like your G27? What do you not like about it? If you have any issues with the Glock, then the M&P would be a nice replacement. It is very similar in size/capacity/concealability/design. I think the M&P compact is a little easier to shoot than the sub compact Glock. That is due to the better ergonomics; and I think it's about 2 oz. heavier. I think the M&Pc .40 will be my next gun. But I would rather give an organ away than sell my Glock 26.

It really just depends on how you like the Glock to start with. Have you shot a M&P? I have owned several Glock 27/Glock 33 pistols, so I understand your dilemma.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply YukonGlocker. There is really nothing that I don't like about my G27. It has never given me any problems at all. It does kind of feel like a brick in my hand, but that is kind of normal for a Glock. The M&P feels very nice in my hand!! It seems to me the only unknowns right now with the M&P is reliability. With the Glock, there is a very proven track record where the M&P has not been out long enough to really know. Is the finish of the M&P as durable as the Glock. I just don't want to make the trade and then be very sorry that I did. I like guns alot, but never have many at any given time, just because I cannot afford it.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes, the finish is just as durable. It will get holster wear over time; but like the Glock, that won't affect the treated metal.

I will make sure the compact .40s are reliable before I buy one. I will let them be on the market for a while and see if there are any problems. I would just be patient and see what happens. I would also be sure to shoot a M&P to see if you like them. (It doesn't have to be the exact model you want.) There is one thing for sure: If you buy one and have problems, S&W will fix it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know S&W will stand behind it. I am also kind of wanting to have a Made In USA gun here also. I do appreciate your help here.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
ront said:
... I am also kind of wanting to have a Made In USA gun here also...

That is one more reason I love the M&P. That's a big issue with me, but that's a subject for another thread.

You are very welcome.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, between me and my girlfriend we own 4 Glocks. A model 17, 23, 26 and the 27. I have owned Glocks for about 5 years now and have a lot of experience with them. Of the 4 Glocks we own the only Glock that we have not had steller performence with is the Glock 27. My adventures with the 27 is well known on Glock Talk and other forums, so I won't rehash my prob;ems here.

This past weekend it was Smith & Wesson days at a range near me. It was a three day event that featured S&W representatives and also the main distributor in our area. I talked at lenghth with the S&W rep, he was the same rep I met there last March at the same event. We talked about the S&W M&P 9c and 40c, both of which I was really interested in. He field stripped an M&P and explained the composition of the weapon, how they are made and tear down of the weapon. Both me and my girlfriend shot the 9c and the 40c and as expected from Smith & Wesson they turned out to be quality firearms and a joy to shoot. This was Saturday, by the time I left I purchased the 9c.

I got the weapon home gave it and the mags a good cleaning and we decided to return to the range yesterday and put a couple hundred rounds though it. It digested WWB, Remington and Speer Gold Dots without a hitch.

After our range session I talked to the owner of the range and asked him how long it would take to receive a M&P 40c, because at the time they didn't have one available for sale. I told him the model of the 40c I wanted, he spoke to the distributor and he said by the end of the week.

Shooting the M&P compacts was a very positive journey for both me and my girlfried, actually she shot the 40c a bit better than the 9c keeping all her rounds within a two inch group at 15 yards. Smith & Wesson days gets a little expensive for me, last year I bought one of their 1911s.

My girlfriend also wanted to shoot the 4 inch S&W 500 and the 10 inch 460 they had there. She said it was a hoot. She showed the range officer her targets and he just smiled and shock his head. I guess I'll have to get into reloading. Factory ammo for the 500 is just too expensive to buy.

Dennis

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 40SX. The M&P Compact is really calling my name!! I just want to make sure that I don't do something that I will regret later.

I went down at lunch today and fondled the .40 Compact again today. The urge is getting extremely intense!!

Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own an G19 and have shot a G26 on a handful of occasions. My wife has a M&P9c which I've put several hundred rounds through. I have to echo YukonGlocker's comments that I find the 9c ergonomics make it noticably easier to shoot than a G26. I definitely shoot her 9c better than any G26 I've shot. I don't know if this would be the same for a 40c/G27, but I suspect that it would.

It puts me in a bit of a dilemma. My plan had been to get a G26 as a smaller companion to my G19, but now I'm torn. I will probably never get rid of my G19, but I'm leaning toward a 9c of my own for when I want something smaller.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It appears to me that the M&P .40 Compact is kind of in between the G27 and the G23 in size. With the mag in that has the flat floor base, the grip is pretty close to the G27.

Ron

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes. comparing the sizes on their websights it appears the M+Pc is functionally equivalent to a G19 lenghtwise mated to a G26 heightwise.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is good to know Citius as it is the height that is the hard part to hide.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
48 Posts
I sold my G27 to a friend...

to get the ca$h to buy the M&P 40c!

As I've already stated in other posts, my biggest beef with the Glock design is with their less-than-optimal ergonomics. I have two permanent parallel scar lines on the web of my shooting hand, which are the exact width of a Glock's slide, as visible testimony to me being a Glock owner. There is a lot to like with the Glock's design, but there is also the Luger-like angle of the Glock's grip, finger grooves that aren't sized for my fingers, and a grip so thick it's almost like it was made in a sawmill. After a while, I started to ask myself why I should suffer such woe just to get the reliability of the upper part of the design.

Now that I own both the M&P .40 fullsize and compact, I now feel like I have the best of both worlds, great mechanical design, similar in form and function to the best parts of Glock's and Sig Sauer's designs, with superior ergonomics that are original to the M&P. I'm very happy to say the least.

I've owned three Glocks; a G23 (midsize .40), a G27 (compact .40) and the G30 (midsize .45). The G30 is the only one I still own and that's because the M&P .45 isn't out yet. :wink:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input APismoClam. There is really nothing that I don't like about the G27 other than it does kind of feel like a brick. It is a great gun, but when I picked up the M&P .40 Compact, I knew, I have to have one of these. All reports that I have read indicate that it should be a bit tamer in the recoil, but it really won't bother me if it is not. The recoil of the G27 does not bother me, but I do know that the better grip will help. I am really looking forward to getting one of these guns!!

Thanks, Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts