MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a course a few weeks ago. I did not have my mp40, but was using the smaller pistols i usually carry, a Kahr pm and a 3-inch Kimber CDPII. Instructor (who had a pile of gorgeous custom 1911s) and another student (who had an XD45 with a trigger job) were talking about what a piece of crap the mp40 was. Turns out they thought the trigger was rotten, though they both liked the ergonomics. OK, I'm a big boy, but it bummed me out. I love shooting my mp40, though its my bedside and car gun, not what I carry. I even like the stock trigger on my mp40. But I felt like a bit of an ignorant dum dum for thinking my mp40 trigger was nice when the more experienced guys did not. OK its not like my Kimber 1911, but I still like it. Oh well. Screw them. On the other hand, if I already love my mp40, maybe it will be like a bit of heaven if I get a burwell trigger job on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you love the stock trigger, then you will LOVE the Burwell trigger job! Don't even hesitate, just contact Dan now and make arrangements to have your M&P .40 upgraded. Dan worked his magic on my M&P .45 and my two 9mm and I can't believe the difference.

True, a custom 1911 trigger is sweet, and the XD45 stock trigger is not bad, but your M&P .40 with a Burwell trigger job will probably be somewhere in between.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It's hard to beat a good 1911 trigger. IF someone wants to be a snob about it, it's hard to argue with.

A good XD trigger job gets close to the light feel of a properly done 1911, but it is pretty mushy and the return on the trigger is a bit on the weak side. Not as bad as some of the real light glock triggers I have run into , but close enough.

The nice thing about the M&P trigger is that when worked on you can get it set up very reliably with a very short reset, fairly light, and a nice postiive trigger return.

The M&P 40 trigger can be decent frm the factory, but the desing leaves opportunity for a LOT of variation in the level of finsih on engagement surfaces. Which can lead to a very crappy feelling trigger pull.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If *you* like the gun and shoot it well, it doesn't really matter what someone else thinks. I crack on my buddy who carries a Kel-Tec .380 - but at the end of the day, it's *his* call and what I think doesn't matter. Some folks don't know that they don't know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found the M&P trigger straight out of the box to be far superior to the trigger on my Glock 23 with several thousand rounds through it. I also found the grip angle and ergonomics to be superior. After a couple hundred rounds, the M&P trigger smoothed out even more. As a result, I shoot significantly better groups with my M&P.

The single action trigger on a well tuned 1911 may be better for range work, but I prefer the Glock, M&P, XD style DAO triggers for carry. The way that I figure it is that from 25 yards and in I will put as many holes in the paper with my M&P as the 1911 guys will with their SA triggers. Moreover, if I ever need to use the weapon in a stressful situation, I won't have to worry about my first shot never leaving the barrel because I forgot to flip the safety off, or my first shot missing because I'm having to yank on a 12 lb. DA trigger before my gun transitions to SA.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I love when people like this spout off and end up not being able to shoot their own weapons. I hear this a lot about my Glock during IDPA matches until I dust the 1911 crowd. Can't wait to do the same thing with my M&P 9.

As long as you enjoy the weapon then it doesn't matter what others say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
M&P Trigger comment

A while back I did a post in the Sigma section about trigger pull. There is a reason for Double Action Pistols to have a heavy trigger pull...Safety. I am not a big fan of 4 1/2 lb. triggers on pistols without safeties. The more experienced shooters desire lighter trigger pulls as it will mean better accuracy. Less experienced shooters are most often satisfied with less accurate results. You may desire 3" or 4" groups at 25 yards me, I want 2 hits center-of-mass at 3 yards. We are not all struck from the same mold, some shoot more than others (some don't), some carry all of the time (some don't), some should not EVEN be allowed around firearms, ect. The M&P, like the Glock and the original Sigma were DESIGNED to have the heavy trigger pull and I'm fine with it. I carry in Houston for self defense and I practice with my pistols, so if I carry my 1911 (with a 4 1/2 lb trigger), my M&P, Sigma or my Kel Tec .380 the trigger pull is not something I worry about.

·
Registered
191 Posts
People always talk down on thinks they are afraid of. The 1911 gun is scared that a person using a MP40 will out shoot him. Most other folks are parroting what other people said and have no direct experience. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ignore them and next time you go shooting take the MP40!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You certainly cannot be concerned about what others may say on the range about your choice of weapon. If they are going out of their way to criticize your pistol they must be feeling insecure about theirs. As far as the M&P triggers go I did not like the triggers for some time because so many I tried were gritty and heavy out of the box. But they seem to have gotten much better which is why I finally bought one. I still haven't seen any good triggers on the M&P .45s though and from what I am reading in the forum there are still a lot of complaints about it as well as the finish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
XD owners

I spend time over on XDtalk. There is tons of good information and generally pretty good people BUT apparently when you buy an XD you have to drink the koolaid and swear that all other guns are POSs.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
They are even more concerned that they spent a whole lot more and you can do just as well.

Srigs said:
People always talk down on thinks they are afraid of. The 1911 gun is scared that a person using a MP40 will out shoot him. Most other folks are parroting what other people said and have no direct experience. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ignore them and next time you go shooting take the MP40!

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my inaugural trip to the quarry, I let everyone take a turn with my M&P. Everyone was impressed, even the Glock guy. My only gripe with it the first time out is that ammo is so expensive, and the pistol just loves to shoot it. 8) Actually for the price I bought it for, I can afford to splurge again this weekend!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
In last 6 months or so, I have bought a Taurus 1911, M&P 45, and a XD 9mm Tactical. I like the triggers on all of them. My Glock 22 has the trigger that I really don't like..............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts