MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of a car trip to the west.

Would like to go up to Canada (Alberta)and then back in to the US.

To avoid the PAPERWORK to import a gun to Canada,would like to leave it in the US near the border and then retrieve it when I come back.

Any suggestions of where I could safely store it??(Probably in Montana)

Alternately,can anyone in Canada, with good knowledge of the subject,tell me what paperwork is involved and would it be easily approved.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I would be interested in the answer to this question as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thats some solid gold chooch dug up. If you want to avoid the paperwork and leave it in the US maybe a safety deposit box...but heck if I could take it with me I would.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Just bury it in the ground on the US side...

Dont forget the treasure map to find out too

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coltman1985 said:
Just bury it in the ground on the US side...

I suppose you mean somewhere near Great Northern MI,right??

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
Wear your NRA hat, you'll breeze right thru Canadian Customs.

Trust me on that, I tried it....................once
Their perception is that every American is packing and gun crazy. If only...

The NRA hat fits in nicely with that stereotype.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Call gun dealers on the Montana side of the boarder (Great Falls is probably a good city to look in) and ask if they will keep the gun in temporary storage for you. You might want to bring a copy of the bill of sale with you to demonstrate it's really yours.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Call gun dealers on the Montana side of the boarder (Great Falls is probably a good city to look in) and ask if they will keep the gun in temporary storage for you. You might want to bring a copy of the bill of sale with you to demonstrate it's really yours.
+1

·
Registered
533 Posts
We took a trip to the St Lawrence River, in upstate New York where my wife's uncle has a cabin. On the way back home, we stopped to see Niagara Falls. After seeing the American falls, my wife wanted to see the Canadian side. So off we headed for Canada.

We crossed the bridge to the Canadian side and stopped at the Customs check point. The customs agent gave me a bunch grief because I have a Georgia Firearms License, which is associated with my vehicle registration. He asked about 20 different variations of "Do you have a gun in the car?" To each question, I answered no. Finally he asked, "What are you carrying for protection?" To this, I pointed at my wife and said, "...her, and she's starting to get pissed!!" :veryangry::veryangry:

Finally, he was about to let us proceed and asked his last question. "How long were you planning on spending in Canada?" I said, "About two hours, but you've pissed away one of those!!" :evil::evil: My wife saw the Canadian falls and I was quite happy when we crossed back into the United States. I will never darken the northern side of the border again. Once was enough!!!

The short story......Stay in the United States.
Just click your heels together three times and keep saying, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home ......." ;)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Funny that this thread just came up. Juvst crossed th border at Sweetgrass Mt. There is a company there that stores pack ages (and autos). Normally they are shipped there by UPS etc. but the woman said you could leave a pkg. and then come back to pick it up. $5.00 Firearms are legal in Mt.so there should be nothing illegal about this.

I got their business card and when I find it,I'll post the name and phone #.
I would guess there are similar companies in many towns on the U.S. side of the border at Ports Of Entry.

Found the card;
It's Mars Gas & Grocery
510 2nd St.
Sweetgrass MT
ph 406-335-2905
marsgasandgrocery.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
i live in canada. just got my first pistol. 3 days ago. canada sucks when it comes to gun. we arent even aloud to look at our gun out side of a range. this place sucks

·
Registered
21 Posts
We took a trip to the St Lawrence River, in upstate New York where my wife's uncle has a cabin. On the way back home, we stopped to see Niagara Falls. After seeing the American falls, my wife wanted to see the Canadian side. So off we headed for Canada.

We crossed the bridge to the Canadian side and stopped at the Customs check point. The customs agent gave me a bunch grief because I have a Georgia Firearms License, which is associated with my vehicle registration. He asked about 20 different variations of "Do you have a gun in the car?" To each question, I answered no. Finally he asked, "What are you carrying for protection?" To this, I pointed at my wife and said, "...her, and she's starting to get pissed!!" :veryangry::veryangry:

Finally, he was about to let us proceed and asked his last question. "How long were you planning on spending in Canada?" I said, "About two hours, but you've pissed away one of those!!" :evil::evil: My wife saw the Canadian falls and I was quite happy when we crossed back into the United States. I will never darken the northern side of the border again. Once was enough!!!

The short story......Stay in the United States.
Just click your heels together three times and keep saying, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home ......." ;)
funny, after all the hastle ive had going to and from the states ive just given up and decided its fly or nothing.
rental car - how long have you had it ? 1 year?? yup thats a searchin.
oh you have a blackberry? plugged into their computer to scan it.
no hotel booked why, where exactly are you going, how long where are you going to eat? "well i have a gps, ill look up hotel pay them then go get food"

i live in canada. just got my first pistol. 3 days ago. canada sucks when it comes to gun. we arent even aloud to look at our gun out side of a range. this place sucks
agreed and disagre.
i can now walk into a store, pay for a pistol and usually have it in my name within 24hrs, private sales take much longer.
yes they can have more options though, and carry permits....and they are much cheaper... dammit! can i move to miami now?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts