MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help identifying this tree.

Sorry about the bad pics; all I had was my cellphone.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I'll send it to my sister the tree hugger, she also works at a nursery in Oregon...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yukon,

It looks like a baldcypress, or Taxodiaceae Taxodium distichum. From the pictures and the fruit/cone that you have pictured I think that is what it is. The cone from the bald cypress is pretty characteristic. I am not a tree expert or anywhere close so take that for what it is worth. Hope this helps.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree... Bald Cypress - Loves water - and as it matures, has a lot of "knees" that pop up above the soil in an area defined by the drip line. Tough on lawn mowers and bare footed toes.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Sorry my sister the tree hugger hasn't replied to my email, so as soon as I get an ID from her I will let you know...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
My sister wrote this: "It's hard to tell from the first picture, from the second it kind of looks like a dawn redwood. If so, it's a conifer, but unlike most, it turns color in the fall and drops it's needles. Really cool it that's what it is, they were alive when dinosaurs walked the earth, only found in fossils until someone found a small grove of them in China or New Zealand less than 100 years ago and propagated them from there, now they grow on every continent. Just a guess on my part. Let me know."

Sorry I can help her, she lives in Oregon you know... :wink:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vetter3006 said:
You could always fing a squirrel who lives in a tree and ask him what type of tree is it! HA,ha.

I did. He threw a rock at me, and told me it was nunya damn bisness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts