MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I just went to cabela's with my M&P 9mm 2.0 upper, and the guy let me test install in on an M&P 40
We removed the upper on the 40, and put the 9mm and were able to cock the pistol and it 'caught' the slide.

I only have a complete upper, and my goal is to buy a complete gun and be able to hot-swap uppers and have essentially two guns in two different calibers.
On mine, my slide overall length is 7 1/8" approx, here are pics

View attachment 17878 View attachment 17879 View attachment 17880

Cabela's had the M&P model 2.0 in 9mm, 40 and .45 as well. I would think that they would all be compatible because the lowers are all the same.
But I don't trust the method I described above of just doing a swap and assuming they work. Don't want the gun to blow up in my face.

Thank you

·
Registered
554 Posts
I swapped slides between my 1.0 M&P 9MM and .40 S&W one time while trouble shooting an issue with the 9MM.

9MM and .40 are pretty close.

Before I just jumped in on saying the .45 acp frame/slide are compatible with 9 or .40 slides/frames I'd have to try it myself. The ejector placement may be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is going to be a swap between two M 2.0 uppers onto an M 2.0 lower. I already tried putting the 9mm upper onto a M 1.0 lower and it didn't work.

Anyone with any experience with 9mm and 40 swaps on M 2.0?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The M&P9/40 frames are not caliber specific. The serial number is assigned to the frame, but caliber is not determined until the slide is attached. M2.0 are not compatible with 1.0, and 45 is not compatible with 9/40.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the 2.0 compacts in both 9mm and .40 cal. I have an Apex flatty trigger on the .40 cal pistol. I have swapped out my 9mm slide to the .40 cal lower on a few ocassions so I could use the 9 with the Apex trigger. It works perfectly fine. No change in ejection pattern or anything at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2.0 Compact 4" in 40 and I swapped the upper out with a 2.0 FS in 9mm. Fits perfect, fired flawlessly and is extremely accurate.
This "swapping" of uppers doesn't work with any of the 2.0 45's..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
The issue falls not on the fitment of slide onto the frame but the fact the ejector is mounted into the sear housing in the lower/frame…….each caliber has a different length and location of the ejector specific to the caliber. While some people report no issues in their experience/experimentation it may work…right up until it’s doesn’t…there’s a reason manufacturers make them different ….

the exception to this would be .40-.357sig as it is the same .40 case base…….not really an issue if it’s just for range play shooting 9mm in a .40 for the less expensive shooting.…I would strongly recommend against it for any defensive use unless the proper caliber ejector is used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue falls not on the fitment of slide onto the frame but the fact the ejector is mounted into the sear housing in the lower/frame…….each caliber has a different length and location of the ejector specific to the caliber. While some people report no issues in their experience/experimentation it may work…right up until it’s doesn’t…there’s a reason manufacturers make them different ….

the exception to this would be .40-.357sig as it is the same .40 case base…….not really an issue if it’s just for range play shooting 9mm in a .40 for the less expensive shooting.…I would strongly recommend against it for any defensive use unless the proper caliber ejector is used.
That is very good to know. This would mostly be fore range play. I wonder if you would be able to post a picture of where the ejector is mounted into the sear housing, so I can visually compare? I currently have an upper, and would be looking to buy either a new .40 m&p shield at this point, or a used one.

Question now becomes, if I buy a new or used complete .40, and occasionally swapped on the 9mm upper, would I be causing irreparable damage to the lower by doing so.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Folks, I just went to cabela's with my M&P 9mm 2.0 upper, and the guy let me test install in on an M&P 40
We removed the upper on the 40, and put the 9mm and were able to cock the pistol and it 'caught' the slide.

I only have a complete upper, and my goal is to buy a complete gun and be able to hot-swap uppers and have essentially two guns in two different calibers.
On mine, my slide overall length is 7 1/8" approx, here are pics

View attachment 17878 View attachment 17879 View attachment 17880

Cabela's had the M&P model 2.0 in 9mm, 40 and .45 as well. I would think that they would all be compatible because the lowers are all the same.
But I don't trust the method I described above of just doing a swap and assuming they work. Don't want the gun to blow up in my face.

Thank you
Wouldn't there be a feeding and ejecting issue 9mm ejectors have a slight bend unlike the 40 cal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts