MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I just went to cabela's with my M&P 9mm 2.0 upper, and the guy let me test install in on an M&P 40
We removed the upper on the 40, and put the 9mm and were able to cock the pistol and it 'caught' the slide.

I only have a complete upper, and my goal is to buy a complete gun and be able to hot-swap uppers and have essentially two guns in two different calibers.
On mine, my slide overall length is 7 1/8" approx, here are pics

View attachment 17878 View attachment 17879 View attachment 17880

Cabela's had the M&P model 2.0 in 9mm, 40 and .45 as well. I would think that they would all be compatible because the lowers are all the same.
But I don't trust the method I described above of just doing a swap and assuming they work. Don't want the gun to blow up in my face.

Thank you

· Registered
825 Posts
I swapped slides between my 1.0 M&P 9MM and .40 S&W one time while trouble shooting an issue with the 9MM.

9MM and .40 are pretty close.

Before I just jumped in on saying the .45 acp frame/slide are compatible with 9 or .40 slides/frames I'd have to try it myself. The ejector placement may be an issue.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is going to be a swap between two M 2.0 uppers onto an M 2.0 lower. I already tried putting the 9mm upper onto a M 1.0 lower and it didn't work.

Anyone with any experience with 9mm and 40 swaps on M 2.0?

· Registered
8,434 Posts
The M&P9/40 frames are not caliber specific. The serial number is assigned to the frame, but caliber is not determined until the slide is attached. M2.0 are not compatible with 1.0, and 45 is not compatible with 9/40.

· Registered
101 Posts
I have the 2.0 compacts in both 9mm and .40 cal. I have an Apex flatty trigger on the .40 cal pistol. I have swapped out my 9mm slide to the .40 cal lower on a few ocassions so I could use the 9 with the Apex trigger. It works perfectly fine. No change in ejection pattern or anything at all.

· Registered
103 Posts
I have a 2.0 Compact 4" in 40 and I swapped the upper out with a 2.0 FS in 9mm. Fits perfect, fired flawlessly and is extremely accurate.
This "swapping" of uppers doesn't work with any of the 2.0 45's..........

· Registered
18 Posts
The issue falls not on the fitment of slide onto the frame but the fact the ejector is mounted into the sear housing in the lower/frame…….each caliber has a different length and location of the ejector specific to the caliber. While some people report no issues in their experience/experimentation it may work…right up until it’s doesn’t…there’s a reason manufacturers make them different ….

the exception to this would be .40-.357sig as it is the same .40 case base…….not really an issue if it’s just for range play shooting 9mm in a .40 for the less expensive shooting.…I would strongly recommend against it for any defensive use unless the proper caliber ejector is used.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue falls not on the fitment of slide onto the frame but the fact the ejector is mounted into the sear housing in the lower/frame…….each caliber has a different length and location of the ejector specific to the caliber. While some people report no issues in their experience/experimentation it may work…right up until it’s doesn’t…there’s a reason manufacturers make them different ….

the exception to this would be .40-.357sig as it is the same .40 case base…….not really an issue if it’s just for range play shooting 9mm in a .40 for the less expensive shooting.…I would strongly recommend against it for any defensive use unless the proper caliber ejector is used.
That is very good to know. This would mostly be fore range play. I wonder if you would be able to post a picture of where the ejector is mounted into the sear housing, so I can visually compare? I currently have an upper, and would be looking to buy either a new .40 m&p shield at this point, or a used one.

Question now becomes, if I buy a new or used complete .40, and occasionally swapped on the 9mm upper, would I be causing irreparable damage to the lower by doing so.

· Registered
217 Posts
Folks, I just went to cabela's with my M&P 9mm 2.0 upper, and the guy let me test install in on an M&P 40
We removed the upper on the 40, and put the 9mm and were able to cock the pistol and it 'caught' the slide.

I only have a complete upper, and my goal is to buy a complete gun and be able to hot-swap uppers and have essentially two guns in two different calibers.
On mine, my slide overall length is 7 1/8" approx, here are pics

View attachment 17878 View attachment 17879 View attachment 17880

Cabela's had the M&P model 2.0 in 9mm, 40 and .45 as well. I would think that they would all be compatible because the lowers are all the same.
But I don't trust the method I described above of just doing a swap and assuming they work. Don't want the gun to blow up in my face.

Thank you
Wouldn't there be a feeding and ejecting issue 9mm ejectors have a slight bend unlike the 40 cal.

· Registered
66 Posts

You are correct. Ejectors are different. All my 40 cals have a Lone Wolf .357 Sig barrel. I wouldn't try mixing 9mm and 40cal. Maybe there are kits out there but just swapping slides isn't a good idea.

· Registered
8,434 Posts
There are hundreds of us that use 9mm conversion barrels in an M&P40 slide with no ill effects, in fact I rarely practice with 40S&W range ammo anymore using primarily 9mm range ammo in a Storm Lake conversion barrel. Most folks that use the factory M&P9 barrel with an M&P40 slide see no problems, until it pops on them.

Reactions: JohnMcD348

· Registered
8,434 Posts
...each caliber has a different length and location of the ejector specific to the caliber.
Made me look.

S&W M&P9/40/357 ejector part number 392880000 fits M&P9, M&P40, M&P357, M&P9C, M&P40C, and M&P357C. M&P45 (likely the M&P10 pistol also) ejector is part number 391510000.

· Registered
79 Posts
Made me look.

S&W M&P9/40/357 ejector part number 392880000 fits M&P9, M&P40, M&P357, M&P9C, M&P40C, and M&P357C. M&P45 (likely the M&P10 pistol also) ejector is part number 391510000.
And, I can say with absolute confidence that my M&P40 1.0 very easily handles .40S&W, .357Sig(Factory Barrel), and 9mm with the Storm Lake conversion barrel with nothing more than a barrel swap. No slide part exchanges, I'm using the same Blue colored spring that came with it as a factory 40S&W. I shoot both factory and reloads with all of the barrels.
I bought another MP40 slide, cheap, to add the .357Sig barrel into and now, I am looking for a 9mm M1.0 slide so I can get a factory 9mm barrel for it and just have two factory complete 9mm/40S&W/.357Sig slides.

The thing with the 9mm and 45ACP frames is going to be SIZE. The .45 frames will be larger and won't fit a 9mm sized slide. They won't be compatible. I am wondering myself, however if the .45ACP and 10mm will be compatible. So far, I've gotten the same response from others about the Extractor. My experience is limited with the M&Ps so I'm still learning about them. Most of my polymer experience is with the Glock ranges and they have quite a lot of cross compatibility between the respective frames.

The main Glocks, very basically not going into the slim frames and other special frames, are split between Small and Large Frame pistols. The small frame is for the smaller calibers 9/40/357sig and the large frame is for the larger diameter cartridges like the 45/10mm types. The physical need for a wider and heavier built mechanicals in the larger frame won't allow for any fit of the smaller slides. Slide rails and locking mechanisms are different between the sizes.

Think of it similar in Rifles between the AR15 and AR10. The trigger groups are the same, but you can't switch uppers between the two. 5.56, AR15, won't fit on the 7.62 AR10 and vice verse.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gents, it's not been more than a year and I finally found a very clean and lightly used M&P Shield M 2.0 in 40 S&W from Cabela's for $400․ I got the original box and everything that came with the gun when new. When I took it apart, the red paint seen on the spring was on the lower receiver when I went to clean it. I was speculating that the gun had been fired very much, which is why the red powder from the spring paint was still in the lower receiver.
At any rate, here are side-by side pics of the 9mm barrel and the 40s&w. I was wondering if the attached picture would clarify anything about this comparison. It seems that someone claimed that the ejectors are different, but others said that it's a well-known swap. If you click the attachment and right click the image and say 'open image in a new tab/window', the image will show up full-size and larger, for comparison. I don't know if there is anything that can be gleaned from the pictures, but thanks to all those who provided information in this thread.

Attachments

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And, I can say with absolute confidence that my M&P40 1.0 very easily handles .40S&W, .357Sig(Factory Barrel), and 9mm with the Storm Lake conversion barrel with nothing more than a barrel swap. No slide part exchanges, I'm using the same Blue colored spring that came with it as a factory 40S&W. I shoot both factory and reloads with all of the barrels.
I bought another MP40 slide, cheap, to add the .357Sig barrel into and now, I am looking for a 9mm M1.0 slide so I can get a factory 9mm barrel for it and just have two factory complete 9mm/40S&W/.357Sig slides.

The thing with the 9mm and 45ACP frames is going to be SIZE. The .45 frames will be larger and won't fit a 9mm sized slide. They won't be compatible. I am wondering myself, however if the .45ACP and 10mm will be compatible. So far, I've gotten the same response from others about the Extractor. My experience is limited with the M&Ps so I'm still learning about them. Most of my polymer experience is with the Glock ranges and they have quite a lot of cross compatibility between the respective frames.

The main Glocks, very basically not going into the slim frames and other special frames, are split between Small and Large Frame pistols. The small frame is for the smaller calibers 9/40/357sig and the large frame is for the larger diameter cartridges like the 45/10mm types. The physical need for a wider and heavier built mechanicals in the larger frame won't allow for any fit of the smaller slides. Slide rails and locking mechanisms are different between the sizes.

Think of it similar in Rifles between the AR15 and AR10. The trigger groups are the same, but you can't switch uppers between the two. 5.56, AR15, won't fit on the 7.62 AR10 and vice verse.

This is interesting, but could you please inquire about this in a separate thread?

Thank you.

· Registered
2 Posts
...each caliber has a different length and location of the ejector specific to the caliber...I would strongly recommend against it for any defensive use unless the proper caliber ejector is used.
Wouldn't there be a feeding and ejecting issue 9mm ejectors have a slight bend unlike the 40 cal.
You are both wrong and providing incorrect information in a public forum. You are both describing the differences between Glock 9mm and .40 ejectors, white have slightly different lengths and obviously different shapes. S&W M2.0 9mm and .40 ejectors are identical and 9mm and .40 M2.0 5", 4.25", and 4" slides and frames are all completely interchangeable.

· Registered
1 Posts
You are both wrong and providing incorrect information in a public forum. You are both describing the differences between Glock 9mm and .40 ejectors, white have slightly different lengths and obviously different shapes. S&W M2.0 9mm and .40 ejectors are identical and 9mm and .40 M2.0 5", 4.25", and 4" slides and frames are all completely interchangeable.
You are correct. I have the M&P 2.0 40cal 3.1” barrel. I bought a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm magazine. They are interchangeable and work just as they should.
Also to note that the 40 cal is the only one you can keep everything the same except the barrel and magazine and change it between a .357, 9mm and 40cal.
The 40 cal, you change the barrel to a 9mm and you can still use your 40 magazine however it has trouble cycling the last round.

Lot’s of videos and forums out there showing you what to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.