MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting for my local shop to get a M&P 45 in. I got the call today and went to check it out. I was comparing it to a Glock 21SF and an XD 45 Tactical. I have to say that the M&P and the XD both felt great in my hand with the nod going to the Smith. The ergo's were great on the Smith and fit and finish was very good for all three handguns. The only problem I had with the smith was the trigger.. It was awful! Dry firing the trigger felt much heavier than the other two and very gritty. By comparison the XD was much lighter, shorter and smoother. The Glock was much better than the M&P but not quite as nice as the XD. If I purchase the M&P I will be getting the manual safety and having a trigger job performed. The question is how much better can the trigger get? I was so disappointed. I really thought I would be taking home a new pistol today... Maybe the pistol I saw today was just a bad example. I'll seek out others to tryb efore I make my final decision.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The trigger does smooth out a whole lot after use. I have 2 45s, and I've fired one more then the other (by about 100 shots), and they both have a whole lot better triggers then they were from the get-go. Give it time, break it in, and see what you think before you get a trigger job.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
As Grim says, they get better over time. There are also a number of very well-respected 'smiths who support this forum and do reportedly outstanding work on M&P pistols.

It's impossible to tell whether the one you handled was typical or bad ... but if you're going to have a trigger job done, it's a moot point. It will be very nice by the time that's done.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The gritty feeling will go away over 200-500 trigger pulls. I did mine dry firing. It will then be smooth and consistant in pull. If you want to reduce pull weight, you can do a trigger job yourself and you will not need any parts to do it!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My wife has an XD .45 compact and I have the M&P .45. Out of the box, I liked the trigger on her XD much better than the S&W. I soon rectified the problem by having Dan Burwell work his magic and now we both like the trigger on my M&P better. Fire at the range, dry fire, or pay the man to do the trigger job, no matter which method you choose, you'll be happy with your M&P .45.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Does the manual safety effect the trigger pull weight and feel?

I'm that close (thumb and forefinger separated by 6 $100 bills) from ordering an M&P .45.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I tried two other M&P .45's today. Both had the same horrible trigger... I'd hate to spend so much money on a pistol only to have to spend more to make it function acceptably. I do like the idea of a nice crisp trigger pull and a manual safety like a 1911 though. I'll make up my mind this weekend. The money is starting to burn a hole in my pocket. The XD is cheaper but with the two extra mags from S&W it is pretty much a wash (Before the trigger job that is...).

Which smith for the trigger job, Burwell or Bowie??? If Bowie than L or S??? Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is one of those "pay me now or pay me later" questions. You can either have Dan Burwell perform a trigger job for a very reasonable price and excellent workmanship, or, you can start shooting/dry firing your M&P .45 and break in the factory trigger. The outcome will be the same, but you have options. Either way, you will have a great gun.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You wouldn't by chance be lostinthewoods of Massachusetts would you. The Mass trigger is not the same as other states.

I had an XD40 and XD9 before obtaining an M&P40 and M&P9. The triggers are a little different but I didn't find the M&P to be any worse than the XD's. I have gotten along quite well with both. They will smooth out in time or with a bit of stonework but mine were quite acceptable out of the box.

Good luck.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
TOF said:
You wouldn't by chance be lostinthewoods of Massachusetts would you. The Mass trigger is not the same as other states.
The 49 states M&P45 seems to have a much heavier trigger than the 9 and 40. I've felt new in box M&P9s that were light and silky while the 45 sitting next to it was beastly.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
At least part of the difference is caused by the heavier striker spring needed in the M&P45. SAAMI spec firing pin indent for .45 ACP is 0.011" while 9mm/40 is just 0.009" ...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I bit the bullet today and purchased an M&P 45 with the manual safety and no mag disconnect. I couldn't bring myself to send my money to Croatia... I got to try three 45's out in a local shop and found that one had a significantly better feeling trigger than the others. I ordered a BladeTech paddle holster as well. I'll put a few hundred down the pipe before I decide on any trigger work. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 45 is an earlier model and the trigger was really heavy at first. After a whole lot of dry firing the trigger is pretty much like my M&P9.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I spoke with S&W today and they said that 7-10lbs is the normal range for the trigger of a NON-MA M&P45. My trigger pull scale only goes to 8lbs and my 48 states 45 is well off the scale at roughly 9-1/2lbs. As soon as my Trijicon sights come off back order it's going in for a trigger job. Anyway I thought you folks would like to know what S&W considers normal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Like others have said, the MP trigger feel gets better. Feels slightly different with a round in there, too. Try dry firing with a Snap-Cap after you get it.

The XD's trigger feels more crisp but the reset is longer. I had to get use to the XD's trigger again after shooting the MP's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picking up the gun tomorrow. I picked up 10 A-Zoom snap caps. They cost a lot more than loaded ammo! I'll start the dry firing after I clean and lube tomorrow night. Now for some nice kydex....

·
Registered
2 Posts
trigger job

as a new member i would like to thank the members of this web site for their invaluable info. i recently purchased a dark earth 45 and liked everything but the trigger. using the info garnered here i contacted mr. burwell and agreed on the 4.5 lb trigger job. he received my pistol this past monday and i received it back this thursday, simply amazing! the improvement exceeded my expectations he even included a supply of grease that he recommends for lube. i recommend his services to any pistolero that wants to turn a good pistol into a great self defense sidearm.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have never shot a MP 45 but I do have a MP 40 and a MP 9c. I also have a CZ 75B. I really like shooting all three of these pistols and I have no problem with the stock triggers on them. I considered have D. Burwell do a trigger job on my 40 caliber but decided against it since it has no external safety. For many months I have knocked around the idea of buying a MP 45 in DEB with manual safety. If and when, I do, I will definately have Dan B. do a trigger job on it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
TxPhantom -- it's certainly possible to have the action smoothed out and the reset improved without decreasing the trigger pull weight substantially. I had some work done on my trigger that actually increased the trigger pull by three quarters of a pound or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts