MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a M&P 40c for concealed carry. I was considering a Kahr CW40 but I am concerned about the reported reliability problems. I am trying to learn more about the M&P now.

I have read that the striker on the M&P is left partially cocked by cycling the action and then it is withdrawn fully when the trigger is pulled. I have looked at pictures of the sear housing (from Mr. Burwell's trigger job article) and I am wondering how this is accomplished. It looks like the sear can only pivot around the large hole in its middle and isn't free to move forward or backward.

How is the final cocking of the striker accomplished? When I dry-fired an M&P it didn't feel like there was much movement before let-off that would be able to cock a striker spring (compared to the Kahr for example). I expected it to feel like a two-stage trigger, but it felt more like a heavy single action trigger with just a little bit of take-up. It seems that either the striker is cocked a very short distance and uses a very heavy spring, or the striker is left nearly fully cocked after cycling the action.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The striker is basically already cocked; it is pushed rearward a teeny bit by the back of the sear right before its released, compliments of that little bump on the back of the sear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have done some more searching since I posted and found that the M&P is similar to the Springfield XD in its functionality. I think it should be described as a "single action" pistol instead of a DAO. To me DAO implies that the trigger pull provides the needed tension in the striker to fire the pistol.

There is something a little unnerving about the idea of the striker being fully cocked while wearing the pistol in a deep concealment holster. Of course I am the type that could never get used to a cocked and locked single action, either, unless it had a holster strap interposed under the hammer. I know it has a trigger safety and a firing pin safety, but I would still prefer a striker that was relaxed.

I think the best action I ever saw was the H&K P7. It must have had problems since it didn't stay in production. Damn clever, and safe too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts