MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trigger on my M&P 40 was horrible out of the box. Gritty and some "take up" or creep before the break. I've polished and did many of the trigger mods as posted here by others. The overall feel is great and for IDPA it's fine- however there is still some noticable take up just before the trigger breaks- it's smooth but there is some take up. What's the best way to get rid of this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
757 Posts
There is some degree of take up in all semi-auto triggers to ensure the mechanism completely cycles. After your first shot, you should only be allowing the trigger to go forward far enough to reset, this will eliminate the takeup. After the first shot, the disconnector takes care of compete cycling and allows reset without takeup.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wr moore said:
There is some degree of take up in all semi-auto triggers to ensure the mechanism completely cycles. After your first shot, you should only be allowing the trigger to go forward far enough to reset, this will eliminate the takeup. After the first shot, the disconnector takes care of compete cycling and allows reset without takeup.

Thanks- I'm not talking about the initial take up, I'm talking about the extra movement just before the trigger breaks. I release to the point of reset then pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Lugnut some of it is trigger bar flex. Most of it is the sear as it travels down the firing pin before it releases it. Some of it can be taken out by lessening the sear to firing pin engagement. BUT... if you get it to a dead crisp release it will not last. Remember the M&P has trigger parts in the top and bottom of the gun. So if you go to fine it will wear and flex and it will fail to reconnect or go full auto. I leave just a little of that feel on purpose. I know of others who don't and I have gotten many reports of triggers failing. Some by just setting the pistol down and having the firing pin release. Fortunately the firing pin safety works. Don't try to get a real light trigger either. Under 3.5 to 4 pounds is a little questionable for the long term.

I hope this is what you are talking about if not i just waisted alot of your time to read this. Well I guess not now you know what to becarefull with if your doing your own trigger work.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bowie Tactical said:
Lugnut some of it is trigger bar flex. Most of it is the sear as it travels down the firing pin before it releases it. Some of it can be taken out by lessening the sear to firing pin engagement. BUT... if you get it to a dead crisp release it will not last. Remember the M&P has trigger parts in the top and bottom of the gun. So if you go to fine it will wear and flex and it will fail to reconnect or go full auto. I leave just a little of that feel on purpose. I know of others who don't and I have gotten many reports of triggers failing. Some by just setting the pistol down and having the firing pin release. Fortunately the firing pin safety works. Don't try to get a real light trigger either. Under 3.5 to 4 pounds is a little questionable for the long term.

I hope this is what you are talking about if not i just waisted alot of your time to read this. Well I guess not now you know what to becarefull with if your doing your own trigger work.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

Thank you sir- this makes perfect sense and is what I was talking about. Like you said, I think most of it is the sear moving down on the FP. I don't want to take any chances and make it unsafe- I'll keep it the way it is. It's not bad... I guess I was looking for perfection, but not at the expense of safety and/or reliability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts