MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my supervisor caught a glimpse of my cell phone's background image of an M&P and said "what the heck is that and why do you have that picture there?!" I stayed calm, and said "it's there because I target shoot with handguns as a hobby." She gave me a blank stare so I added "you know, like how people get together to go bowling, only at a shooting range Instead." she snapped back with "no, you don't use bowling balls to kill people." she completely missed my point. I stressed that it was a hobby and that "guns are not made for killing, they're for protecting." She missed my point again. Liberal rubbish. I know I should pick my arguments, especially at work, but it's dangerous for her to have this mindset against guns. She and I can talk about anything openly. Work, God, politics, but with guns- we're just butting heads. Does anyone have any informtation I could 'arm myself' with?! Statistics of pros and cons for gun use? Stuff that would convert an anti to a pro...? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
At work I'd just drop it. If you push it too far shes going to see you through the lens of her prejudices and file you away in her head as a dangerous nut. Work is for work and leave it at that.

·
Registered
498 Posts
sholling said:
At work I'd just drop it. If you push it too far shes going to see you through the lens of her prejudices and file you away in her head as a dangerous nut. Work is for work and leave it at that.

Yep. She's a supervisor, she has her own biases already. The only way this could go is badly. Drop it.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I'd let it drop, you're not likely to change her mind, and really have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
G56 said:
have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

good point except where I work they love guns :wink:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Tell her you would be more than happy to replace the gun picture with one of her in the nude if that would make her feel better.

If that doesn't work use Clint Smith's approach. Tell her "I have it there because I can".

If all else fails accuse her of sexual harassment and get her fired.

:twisted:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
TOF said:
Tell her you would be more than happy to replace the gun picture with one of her in the nude if that would make her feel better.

that depends on the boss

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
[quote name='TOF']Tell her you would be more than happy to replace the gun picture with one of her in the nude if that would make her feel better.

that depends on the boss
[/quote]

You could always respond with "Just Kidding" then use an alternate evil approach.

:twisted:

·
Registered
564 Posts
tamworth said:
Ok so my supervisor caught a glimpse of my cell phone's background image of an M&P and said "what the heck is that and why do you have that picture there?!" I stayed calm, and said "it's there because I target shoot with handguns as a hobby." She gave me a blank stare so I added "you know, like how people get together to go bowling, only at a shooting range Instead." she snapped back with "no, you don't use bowling balls to kill people." she completely missed my point. I stressed that it was a hobby and that "guns are not made for killing, they're for protecting." She missed my point again. Liberal rubbish. I know I should pick my arguments, especially at work, but it's dangerous for her to have this mindset against guns. She and I can talk about anything openly. Work, God, politics, but with guns- we're just butting heads. Does anyone have any informtation I could 'arm myself' with?! Statistics of pros and cons for gun use? Stuff that would convert an anti to a pro...? Thanks a lot.

You're going to find that there are a lot of people of that. There's a lot more of those here in Kalifornia. I deal with it everyday. I just keep to myself now. It's not worth the headache and you're not going to change the person's thinking anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are have a friendly relationship with her otherwise ask her to meet you at the range and she can try it out. She may have never shot a gun before and might actually enjoy it if she gives it a try. I am lucky in that my bosses and co-workers all love to shoot guns and sometimes we all go to the range together to shoot including my bosses wife and their kids.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Here is the trick in convincing someone of something they do not believe in:

Small, incremental steps.

You have to start out almost agreeing with them.

You start out on the other side of the argument, and very slowly pull them over to your side.

Make a positive connection with them. Keep adding positive connections incrementally that are involved with the subject at hand.

You have to move slow.

You have to do some homework to figure out where to start.

It is usually easy to pull someone half way in between viewpoints. If you do it carefully, the person won't even realize it.

If you run into a snag, just back up and make a different connection.

If you run out of connections, stop. If you don't stop you will ruin your relationship.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar experience at my job years ago. Needing the $$$ more than needing to be right, I dropped it. I have 28 yrs with that company now, and I play guns after 5 and NEVER surf to this site or any other non-work site on my company PC or network.

On the other hand, my wife came into my life 7 years ago having never been around guns. She asked if "those guns everywhere in my house" were loaded. I told her yes, unloaded ones are just paperweights. She told me she was afraid of loaded guns. I asked her why. Her reply was interesting... She thought they could just go off. I explained that a gun "going off" was akin to a car

starting up and driving away unaided. Long story short, She now owns 2 Ruger Vaqueros, a Marlin 1894C, a Stoeger coachgun, a S&W 642 and a S&W MP9c. We shoot Cowboy Action monthly, and

she LOVES to burn ammo with the new semi-auto.

All it took was some patient explanation and a trip to the range (no one else there) where she could have a pleasant experience with some .22 plinking. Also a kind fellow at a Cowboy shoot with some low power .38's in a SA and soft lead at steel up close. That DING seems to do it!

Not to steal the thread, but some people have no knowledge, and handling them properly in the beginning is the ticket.

With a Supervisor at work, drop it. Nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

Varmit

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its interesting that you can talk about God and Politics... but not Guns. It kinda sounds like you have a good relationship with her if you can talk about those things. I would have normally agreed with the "drop it" crowd... but if you can talk about those other things, I'm guessing you can tred lightly about this too.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Personally I would simply and politely drop the matter at hand, then redirect the question with a work related subject.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I work for a very left minded company that has strict zero tolerance policies. As part of the hiring process, they made a big deal about random drug testing and no firearms. I told them straight up - test me for drugs all you want and I am into shooting sports. The range I shoot at is right down the street and I want to shoot after work, so there is a good chance guns will be in my car during working hours. I think they appreciated the honest approach and hired me on the spot.

To this day I have never been drug tested and everyone knows I shoot guns. I often tell them I have to leave early because I'm going shooting. Technically they could fire me for having a gun on the premises (parking lot).

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would have told her its your cell phone and to mind her own business.

Or, start finding stuff she leaves out, and snap on her about it. Ok... not a good idea, just kidding.

·
Registered
936 Posts
-shoot her in the face.

just kidding.

·
Registered
648 Posts
tamworth said:

The simply fact is that the Police are not going to save you. They are there to clean up whatever after the fact. Also, if she isn't aware, men are stronger than women and firearms are the great equalizer.

I see that your in Akron. You should stop by the shop some time as we are only about 45-60 minutes from you.

C4

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
mike cyrwus said:
-shoot her in the face.

just kidding.

whats wrong with that comment

BTW I am kidding too 8)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts