MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for Help here.... My Hubby and I been reloading ammo for years on a RL550 with no problem in all sorts of calibers; .45acp, .223, 9mm etc... We Just decided to handload for my M&P so we got some componets ( once fired fed brass, CCI primers, Win 231 and 165 gr JFP's) and loaded 20 or 30 to go test. Well the chamber would not fully close on about half of them and the ones that did chamber we both caught hell trying to get the slide to unlock and cycle. I check my OAL and its within the limits according to Lymans 47th and Lee loading manuals. In lymans it did mention something about not reloading for Glocks and simular pistols with unsupported chambers. Hubby is a 1911 shooter for life and loads mostly for his guns but wanted to try something different and load for mine but he cant figure it out. What are we doing wrong here guys?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
the brass you recieved is most likely glock fired. I have the same problem.

If you look at the bottom of the brass, you'll see a bulge.

I believe the solution is to get a sizing die that sizes all the way down. I can't get one for the square deal, but you should be able to find one.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
What kind of dies are you using? I reload on a RL550 using Dillon dies and have had absolutely no problems, if using Dillon dies check and make sure your resizing die is all the way down, if it's too high that could be the problem.

This is an example of what you are looking for, this is an extreme example, you should be looking for the same thing but much more subtle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can also tell if it's been fired in a Glock by looking at the primer. It has a line all the way across the primer where the firing pin strike is. I can post a pic tonight if you would like.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
You can see the impression of the Glock firing pin on the right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
G56 said:
What kind of dies are you using? I reload on a RL550 using Dillon dies and have had absolutely no problems, if using Dillon dies check and make sure your resizing die is all the way down, if it's too high that could be the problem.

This is an example of what you are looking for, this is an extreme example, you should be looking for the same thing but much more subtle.

Funny this is posted as "Glocked" cases. None of my 40S&W glock cases look like that. However, I bought one of the last .357 Sig barrel's S&W had for the Sigmas, and that is how the fired cases looked for it. I sent it back along with the 40VE Sigma it was for also and all S&W did was to "dremel" out the sharp edge. Now instead of a defined crease I have a gradual one. I could have done a better job myself. Anyway, I kept all the correspondence involved in the complaint. If it ever causes an extreme failure in my Sigma, IMO S&W is to blame.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Loading for the 40 cal

dlgoldston,

I know this is old post, but just came to M-P Forum and learning

a lot. I have loaded for over 30yrs. I just started using case gages from

Dillon. I check very rnd and find very few , this stops problems before

I go to range, matches.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I had been picking up 40 S&W brass for several years before I got a 40, so when I bought my MP40 I already had about 500 fired cases on hand, 75% of those probably came from Glocks, I got my dies from Dillon and loaded them up on my RL550, I've never had a problem of any kind with chambering, so that isn't a big problem overall.

I don't have any cases that look like the one in the photo above!

·
Registered
186 Posts
It may not be the brass/case…

Make sure the ammo chambers first. When I was reloading for Steyr one time I was getting a few failures of the slide to go into battery. When I got home I found out that the OAL while within the max OAL by a good margin was too long for the gun.

So just take the barrel and drop (but don't push it in) the round in the chamber see if it sits high. Then tip the barrel over see if the round falls out freely. Also try that with a load that works fine and see if there’s a difference.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Do you mean details of why it shows it was fired in a Glock? The rectangular impression left by their firing pin is almost unique, when you see a firing pin mark that looks like that there's probably a 90% chance it came out of a glock, there are a few others that leave a similar mark, but the only brand that is really widely sold is the Glock.

If you are asking details about what happened, the photo shows how much of the case is left unsupported in a Glock, far more than most brands, and that tends to lead to brass failures, the infamous kaboom that can happen to any firearm, but Glock is especially prone to do it, mainly by the extent of unsupported case in the chamber.

That's one of the reasons why they say not to reload for Glocks, but in the photo above the KB was with factory new ammo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Meanwhile back on subject....I'm thinking that it could be an OAL problem. Especially if you're loading those rounds out to 1.135" or so. The bullet olgive maybe be such that it's engaging the rifling. Get yourself a case gauge (a "must have" for the handloader I think) and check out the rounds. As suggested, you can also use your barrel (out of the pistol). Chambers tend to be rather loose compared to SAAMI specs, but if it's a too long OAL, it should show up. Both my M&P barrels have fairly generous chambers. I'll probably replace them when (if?) the after market barrel guys start making barrels for the M&Ps. It'll help save on the brass. Good luck with your problem.

---Wyley

·
Registered
937 Posts
+1 on the OAL. My 40 likes rounds under 1.130, and I know CCI's Blazer Brass is loaded down to 1.120. Anytime I get reload some that are 1.130 or larger, I end up with the occasional RTB failure. Load for a shorter OAL and test again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts