MP-Pistol Forum banner

Trouble w/9EZ and Federal HST 147 JHP

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ShooterGranny 
#1 ·
I recently bought the 9mm EZ and am glad I did, I think. It works as expected except when using Federal HST 147 JHP. Rack it and the ammo fails to feed, gets hung up on the feed ramp. I re-rack and it may or may not FTF. After it feeds it seems to feed well. Replace the mag, release the slide and it will 95% + FTF. It's flawless with standard target ammo. I have not shot much out of it since it is pretty new; maybe 150 rounds, maybe.

I may go to range soon to try putting more rounds through it, but I feel it should be able to handle Federal HST 147g JHP. for a defensive round. Anyone recommend any other defensive round? I DO NOT feel safe with it loaded with the HST JHP.

How long should I let t go before contacting S&W?

#4 ·
A lot of guns simply do NOT like certain brands or types of ammunition. I would try a different brand of SD ammo - or two or three kinds. Occasionally if you polish the feed ramp it will make a difference, but if that gun hates that ammo all you can do is find one or two it likes. Also, I'm thinking that perhaps 147 grain is too hot for the reduced strength springs in that gun, but that might not have anything to do with your problem.

Reactions: OldArmy
#5 ·
Thanks. I went back tot he range today and brought 115, 124, 147 and the HST (147). The Fed HST still FTF on the first rack and then went pretty good. 115 shot without a glitch, 124 without a glitch but the 147 had an intermittent FTF. All I had to do is use the heal of my hand to gently hit the rack and it loaded fine.

I believe you are correct, the 147, especially in JHP, might be the problem; along with no real break in (although I never had a gun I had to "break in"). I need to check out a 124 in a hollow point to see it that hangs also. If the 124 HP gives me a problem I will then call S&W.

I have not used a 9mm in many years since I was having a very hard time racking. I went to revolvers and then decided to check this one out, love it...andmy accuracy is getting better with each outing. What I need to do is get some decent SD ammo, BUT......those prices have spiked so much since I last used 9mm - I need to be frugal and get some cheap 115 and just practice for now. 40 bucks for a box of HP is a bit too much for my blood.

Appreciate the input. I think you have narrowed down the problem.

#6 ·
I have the same issue but with steel case TulAmmo and Wolf. Several times a mag the nose will stick on the ramp and with a little bump on the slide it chambers and works. No problems with CCI Blazer aluminum or Blazer Brass. I carry Hornady CD 135 +P and it runs it fine also runs Hornady American Gunner 124 +P fine. I did contact S&W and they were very helpful saying and I quote "We always recommend brass cased ammo. I would suggest trying brass cased ammo." I have never had an issue in any of my pistols shooting steel case and have shot it since the 90's. Bottom line I believe its the lighter recoil spring that causes the issue folks are having.

#9 ·
I found out it my research before buying the EZ 9 that it didn't like high grain rounds (147). I went ahead and got it anyway with this in mind as I do not use or have the need for 147. I have a couple hundred rounds of 115 and 124 with ZERO problems so far.
If you check out some reviews on YouTube of people doing firing the weapon you'll see you're not alone.
And as an earlier poster stated, so.e guns don't like certain ammo. Not all guns eat everything.
Good luck fellow EZ 9. I hope you come to enjoy yours as much as my wife and I do. I keep it in the night stand next to my bed and trust that it'll work, God forbid its ever needed.

PS Brass is best. Or high quality stainless steel. Stay away from regular plain steel.

#10 ·
I did try other brands of SD in 115, 124 and 147 but it is no better. It seems to hang quite a bit with any SD ammo. Round nose ammo seems to work just fine. I did send it back to S&W and am patiently waiting. I shipped it the end of July, they acknowledged it early August.

I sit and wait for my new handgun that has been at S&W longer than I have had it.

#11 ·
One other thought. Did you polish the feed ramp? I just got a new SIG P238 and there was an almost imperceptible bur on the side of the feed ramp. Since that was a potential problem, a little Flitz on a cotton Dremel pad made it all smooth and shiny bright. Took her to the range today and no problems other than she is still very stiff and needs to be shot a lot more to get all her parts smoothed out nicely like my other 2 P238's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.