MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was testing out some loads shooting off of sand bags. I shot about 60 to 70 rounds each in 10 round strings. The shots grouped well for the most part but what was noticeable was that the POI was 2" above the POA for all strings. Targets were at 10 yds.

Doing the math to adjust a front sight - Amount of error X sight radius/target distance I should increase my front sight height by 0.035. I'm currently using a Warren tactical rear with a Dawson FO front sight that is 0.160. The new sight would be 0.195 tall.

I have talked with Ken(Speed Shooter's Specialties) regarding making a custom sight to get the gun back to zero.( POA=POI) He suggested trying to make something up that will increase the sight height to what I'm looking for and then bench test it to see how close to zero the calculation is.

I have tried laminating business card stock to place on top of the existing site to the adjusted height but couldn't find a tape - including duct tape - that would stick well enough to get off 10- 20 shots or so.

I'm open to suggestions on making a temporary sight without knocking out my front sight to do so.

:?

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is good that you have bench rested it before wanting to change the sights.

I would think that Smith and Wesson Service would have different height front sights available.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loloy said:
try rubber cement
Tthat may work! My thinking now is maybe I can use a wooden matchstick filed to the additional height I need and set it on top of the existing sight. Rubber cement may work as a temporary glue to let me test out the new height. I only need it to hold for 20 or so rounds.

I'm afraid that epoxy is too permanent - I still need to use this sight until Ken can make one to my specification.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Just trust your math.

or use JB weld :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts