MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have knowledge or experience with using the hard case my M&P 9 2.0 came in to fly with? TSA website is vague and just says some cases that handguns are sold in, don’t pass inspection.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have no experience with it, but if I remember how my S&W guns came to me I would err on the side of safety and say no it won't pass. At the link (cursor down here and again once the link opens) are examples of what they find OK. Nothing I saw linked to look like a cheap plastic case used to deliver a handgun. But I admit that I didn't open every acceptable case that was linked to.

Heck, it's not just for TSA, it's for you. It's your gun, do you want it secure? That is, do you want to retrieve it upon landing or do you want an empty case?

If in doubt spend the $30 it takes and get a quality case that will pass both TSA and your airlines rules.

Good luck.

https://www.uponarriving.com/tsa-approved-gun-case/

·
Registered
680 Posts
From what I remember, the handgun is placed in a lockable case, in a lockable suitcase (two tiers of security).
If that is so, and your factory box is not lockable, it won't pass.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If the factory hard box has a place for a lock, you are GTG. It is not vague, it is just not unduly restrictive.

Also, a couple of pointers:

Print out the airline and TSA guidelines and have them with you. You would be amazed the number of TSA and airline employees that do not know their own policies.

Hang around a couple of minutes after your checked baggage goes through in case an issue arises.

Declare the firearm. There does not seem to be a standard of what the agents want done. One had me show the firearm clear, the other wanted the gun left alone on the same trip.

Don't use TSA approved locks, use better ones that are not universally opened by anyone with a badge.

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something else to consider to.... different airports can have different rules than TSA. Flying out of Dallas to Albuquerque in May, it was OK to have my loaded mags in the Pelican case with the Shield. The Shield was locked open with the barrel lock installed... no lose rounds in case. On my return flight from Abq, they do not allow ANY ammo to be in the case with the gun. After talking with a supervisor and explaining I believed I followed TSA rules and Dallas was good with it, he said they had "Their own rules in Abq" that superseded the TSA rules... HUH? Anyway, the ammo has to be either in the mfg box or an approved ammo box... He did go in the back and return with a Winchester .9mm box that I was able to cram my (14) .45 rounds in to and all was good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Something else to consider to.... different airports can have different rules than TSA. Flying out of Dallas to Albuquerque in May, it was OK to have my loaded mags in the Pelican case with the Shield. The Shield was locked open with the barrel lock installed... no lose rounds in case. On my return flight from Abq, they do not allow ANY ammo to be in the case with the gun. After talking with a supervisor and explaining I believed I followed TSA rules and Dallas was good with it, he said

they had "Their own rules in Abq" that superseded the TSA rules...

HUH? Anyway, the ammo has to be either in the mfg box or an approved ammo box... He did go in the back and return with a Winchester .9mm box that I was able to cram my (14) .45 rounds in to and all was good.
That's handy isn't it? We'll see more of that I expect.

I heard where 2 people, in 2 separate events, were jailed for violating local restrictions. I believe they were both in NYC, or at least that area. One guy had an empty high cap AR mag that was illegal in the state/county. The other was a lady that had her gun properly cased and unloaded, with ammo inside the case. They consider that a "loaded gun" and she was arrested.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was told by South West not to put locks on checked in luggage in case contents need to be inspected. I was told this after discovering that all the keyed locks on my luggage had been cut off when I was retrieving from baggage claim.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a Pelican case. The factory case is too flimsy. I could see it breaking at the hinges with very little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't use TSA approved locks, use better ones that are not universally opened by anyone with a badge.

Agreed...A nice quality Master or similar lock is what's needed. Just ensure it fits your case. If TSA needs to open for inspect, they can get with me...After all, they know where I am!

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."[/QUOTE]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts