MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have guns, but many don’t have a simple BB or pellet gun. They can be useful for persuading critters off your property, training new shooter, or just plinking cans. I like it for setting my sights in the garage before i go shooting.

If you own a 22, you can have both with Aguila Colibri 420fps ammo. I made a video to show the primer only round (no gunpowder) that has a simple pellet tip. Standard bb guns shoot 390 to 590 fps. Pellet guns shoot around 720 fps. No gunpowder means not a firearm.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
We have guns, but many don’t have a simple BB or pellet gun. They can be useful for persuading critters off your property, training new shooter, or just plinking cans. I like it for setting my sights in the garage before i go shooting.

If you own a 22, you can have both with Aguila Colibri 420fps ammo. I made a video to show the primer only round (no gunpowder) that has a simple pellet tip. Standard bb guns shoot 390 to 590 fps. Pellet guns shoot around 720 fps. No gunpowder means not a firearm.

https://youtu.be/nB_OJ9fIIlA
While I appreciate your excitement, your idea of the .22c being the same as a BB gun is wrong in Michigan and I'm sure many other states.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(diefgpugf5ebtpfxxoriuyff))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-222

**(e) "Firearm" means any weapon which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by action of an explosive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did you look up the laws of Tennessee?
Apples and Oranges.
Please don't have a meltdown AGAIN.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I get 1100 fps out of my .22 cal break barrel see absolutely no point to those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think it's because you can. I have a Gamo Adult air gun that is more powerful then most .22s. When I was growing up my father had a range in the basement, a few of his friends also did. As kids we all started out on match grade pellet guns and then moved to .22s.

Even though you are just shooting the primer with that Colibri, it's more fun then shooting a pellet gun. Years ago I pulled the bullets off of .22s, dumped the powder and just shot the primers. It was fun. It was more fun the shooting the Gamo which I think hits 1500fps, it's no toy.

While I think your POI will be way different with actual .22 rounds, I think those no charge Colibri's are fine for that set up. Especially if you are trying to teach say kids gun safety. While my father had some fairly decent pellet guns, the real crash course in gun safety comes from an actual firearm. You are in your house so you don't have to take a kid to a range where they might get rattled. By the time you take them to a range they are already used to handling firearms and shooting , they aren't going to be like that big chested girl in that video who is a danger to herself and others.

In urban or suburban areas you cannot just set up an outdoor range with a berm behind the house. My nephews and nieces learned how to shoot in my yard with that Gamo into my compost bin. They knew gun safety and what Kentucky windage was before I ever took them to a live fire range. My god daughter has one more year left of college in forensic psychology and then she's off to Quantico. If she sticks to that plan I don't think she will have any problems with FBI firearms training.

While my sister in law was initially pretty pissed that her kids became "gun nuts" because of their uncle (me), she's pretty proud that her youngest is probably going to become an FBI agent.
For 15 years+ she thought I was a bad influence on her kids and now I call my niece Clarice. Her response? Shut up Hannibal. My nephews and nieces weren't standing in line at pot dispensaries at 6AM yesterday morning because pot became legal. They were hung over from New Years Eve.

That could be a point of those things, I have a friend who has a range setup in their basement and you would never know it even if you lived next door. Across the street is a forest preserve. It used to be fairly common, especially if your father was in WW2 or Korea. The VFW hall a couple of suburbs away has a very nice range in their basement and you cannot hear reports upstairs.

Shooting just primers out of a .22 in your garage? Why not? You don't need ears but I would wear eyes just because you never know, a ricochet to the eye would suck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here is the federal definition of a firearm
18 U.S. Code § 921.Definitions
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2009-1-firearms-manufacturing-activities-camouflaging-or-engraving-firearms/download

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921
(3)The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
And Tennessee law.
PUBLIC CHAPTER NO. 279
SENATE BILL NO.594
https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/acts/111/pub/pc0279.pdf

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-11-106, is amended by deleting subdivision (aX11) in its entirety and substituting instead the following:
(11) "Firearm":
(A) Means:
(i) Any weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

(ii) The frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(iii) Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(iv) Any destructive device; and
(B) Does not include an antique firearm;

As to target shooting within (X Distance of a dwelling) I am seeing different numbers listed for different counties, but I would be shocked if target shooting a firearm in the garage is legal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts