MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help here guys. These problems really gave me a scare when we were shooting yesterday. Please take a look at these photos and give me your idea as to the source of the problems and what I action I should take. Both of these cartridges came from the same box of Remington UMC .45 Automatic (230 gr.) that was purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Problem #1

I found this problem and at first assumed that it was a failure to eject, only to discover that there was no way that the ejector would have been able to work due to the defective casing.

Problem #2

I found this problem after resolving problem #1 and unloading/reloading the magazine. It appears that the case was broken when the bullet was inserted. With this weakness in the casing, if I would have shot this round, could it have damaged my gun?

·
Registered
323 Posts
First give remington an email about the ammo, see what they say. Second, do a quick inspection of ammo before firing. A quick glance should do the job. Third, keep shooting!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The first problem was a failure during the extrusion process. It isn't common but it happens. It's also possible to have the rim misplaced, like this round of Federal premium ammo:

UMC is Remington's bargain brand, and as such it probably receives fewer quality control checks.

It's unclear from your photo, but odds are the dented case mouth was also done during the manufacturing process.

You can contact Remington, but this falls under the category of "crap happens" ... If you shoot enough, you'll have squibs, dented cases, improperly seated bullets, missing primers, etc.

The lesson, as targetsup points out, is to check your ammunition -- and especially any ammo you're going to carry for personal defense -- before loading it into your gun.

Train hard and stay safe ...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
raz-0 said:
That's some BAD QC though.

When you consider how many millions of rounds of ammunition get produced, it shouldn't be a surprise that once in a while a ridiculously bad round falls through the cracks. No company's Quality Control process is perfect.

This past Friday I was at the range with a federal agent. One of the rounds of duty ammo he'd been issued had absolutely no primer or powder. This was premium top-of-the-line JHP ammunition from one of the "big three" manufacturers. It happens. It's rare, but it happens. Again, the lesson is to check your ammo and never assume that each & every round produced by your favorite manufacturer is necessarily, automatically perfect.

A few years ago I got a tour of Lake City, which is where much of the U.S. Military's small arms ammunition is produced. The tour guide explained that their defect rate was something astronomically low, like one round out of every 100,000. But even at that rate, they produced countless bad rounds every month. Trying to ferret out that last 1:100,000 would require time and resources so vast that the entire production process would crawl to a halt.

Train Hard and Stay Safe!

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
That's really bizarre! BTW the extractor groove is cut in the case after it's formed, both the Remington and the Federal case were out of position in the machine when the groove was cut, both pretty unusual defects, a lapse in the QC process.

IMHO you probably wouldn't even notice a problem if the case was fired, since the defect is near the mouth of the case it probably wouldn't be noticeable...but don't shoot it, not worth taking a chance.

You should send your photos to Remington along with the information on the box, lot numbers etc.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I've seen but never shot the Remington UMC in the yellow. i.e. 250 round box. When Wally World was out of Blazer brass .45 as well as WWB .45 the other day I bought a 100 round green and white box of Reminton 230 grain .45 for $28. I saw that it also says Remington UMC on it. But this can't be the same stuff right? It was good ammo, loaded a tad hotter than Blazer brass or WWB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts