MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn my range and local gun shop! Shot the range S&W MP40, totally dug it although I need the large grip insert, and the gun shop just put them on sale. Guess I'm gonna dump some money! Softest shooting .40 I've ever shot. Too bad it doesn't have that great GLOCK trigger reset. It is much more like the XD in that regard.

Later on...

Started the 10 day Kali wait on my new MP40. It is of the MPP27xx vintage. Anything I should know about this generation? I'm an MP virgin!

5 June:

Picked up my gun and off to the range. Oh yeah - standard sights, mag disconnect, no internal lock. Fit and finish first rate. Switched to the large grip insert which was a great help. No more squirming in my hand although I wish the top of the grip under the beavertail had more bulk to it. My hand still swallows the gun pretty completely - more than I would like. 150 rounds WWB downrange and everything is perfect. Observations -- VERY comfortable to shoot; on par with a GLOCK 22 which I find comfortable. Trigger reset somewhere between and XD and GLOCK but trigger very good over all. It should smooth out in time but it's really OK as it is. Sights well regulated. Light recoil - lightest of any .40 I have shot. Accuracy is fine - I can hit a pie plate off-hand at 50 feet most of the time which is pretty good for me - arthritic hands and declining eyesight you know. One funny thing - I like to test the striker by putting an eraser tipped pencil in the barrel and seeing how far the pencil shoots out when I hold it upright and dry fire it. The pencil only shuddered. My primer strikes were strong and consistent. Go figure! Oh yeah, and my slide doesn't close by itself when I slam a fresh mag home. Now I hated the idea of having to use a tool to field strip the gun and I couldn't get my fat pinkie to snag the sear disconnect for takedown. So I locked the slide back, insured the gun was clear, inserted empty mag, turned the takedown lever, released the slide lock, eased the slide forward, pulled the trigger, removed the mag, and then slid the slide right off the front. Didn't have to fuss with the little yellow sear disconnect at all! YAY! Don't think that will hose up anything.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You wont be disappointed when you buy it, trust me...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coltman1985 said:
Trigger work is super easy and doesn't require parts!!
OUTSTANDING and thanks for the heads-up! Is there a thread on this somewhere? I was thinking that I would do the "1K rounds downrange" trigger job. It's my favorite and worked so well on my GLOCK.

·
Registered
210 Posts
wcmaas said:
[quote name='coltman1985']Trigger work is super easy and doesn't require parts!!
OUTSTANDING and thanks for the heads-up! Is there a thread on this somewhere? I was thinking that I would do the "1K rounds downrange" trigger job. It's my favorite and worked so well on my GLOCK.[/quote]

Wcmaas, your trigger job sounds like it will be more fun. LMAO

·
Registered
246 Posts
wcmaas,

Which range in the real OC has the M&P40 as a rental? I haven't been to any of the ranges that rent guns lately, but I plan on going and it would save me some time to know which range to go to.

Thanks,

also from the real OC.

·
Registered
190 Posts
M&P

I dont know if its the .40, but Firing Line in HB has an M&P for rent. As for other ranges that rent...Id check out On-Target in Laguna Niguel. They don't have an M&P for rent though, but just about everything else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: M&P

PaiMei said:
I dont know if its the .40, but Firing Line in HB has an M&P for rent. As for other ranges that rent...Id check out On-Target in Laguna Niguel. They don't have an M&P for rent though, but just about everything else.

Yeah L.C. Star, what PaiMei said. It was the Firing Line in Huntington Beach. Look out though - that rental cost me $479 a few days later! Enjoy..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts