MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any good luck with this reloaded pistol ammo? Specifically the Ultramax that Dick's Sporting Goods sells in bulk.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've shot some of the 38 specials, they went bang. They seemed dirty, but with the sale and I may have had a scorecard coupon;worked out to 7.50/50 rds. I thought this was a good value.The 45ACP I thought worked out to be too high.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It shoots OK. It is dirty IMO. I prefer not to shoot reloads though (stricly for liability resasons). Perhaps if I reloaded, my view would change.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I agree

I have not shot the above named ammo, but at the local range I bought a box of 38 special and the brand was atlanta reload or sommething like that I am not a big fan of buying reload with the name Atlanta in it it is a HUGE liabilty in my eyes its like buying a car from the amish :wink:

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Ultramax is one of the reasons they say NOT to buy reloaded ammo, very poor quality control, and has been known to KB (blow up) a gun from time to time, best advice, stay away!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ultramax

Ultramax or someone selling it got the bid for PD practice ammo the last couple or three years. It seemed to work fine in duty guns. The differing headstamps and combination of brass and nickel cases in each box put me off at first, but what the heck, works fine.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I read about the PD practice ammo on their web site.

I bought the value pack of 250 rounds today. I noticed too that there is a combo of Speer nickel cases, Winchester brass and CCI brass cases in the bunch.

Will put them to the test at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i bought some 1k .40 rounds of ultramax, only problem i had with the reloads were they were straight lead, no copper jacket. I'll never make that mistake again. I didn't notice any other major problems then my sigma jamming a few times.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
If you want to get an idea about the quality of ammunition, a good place to check is the Ammunition Review & Reference over on AR15.com, the reviews are for 223/5.56mm ammo, but it gives you an insight into the quality of a companies production and their quality control. The list is based on actual user reports on that particular ammo brand and they are listed in the order of best to worst. Note that Ultramax ranks near the bottom, but it does beat out the worst of the worst, it beats Olympic and Amerc, those are the absolute worst.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=210

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I will check the ammo reviews.

Shot 150 rounds of the Ultramax today and all went bang. They are nice and smoky though if you like that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know this was a long dead thread, but I was at Dick's the other day to get some range ammo, and ran across the Ultimax brand (250 .40 for $54.99). i was almost tempted to get the thing, but i remember reading bad stuff about them. Did a search and it seems its a mixed bag of good and bad, but that was almost a year ago. Has this brand gotten better with regards to its QC. With ammo prices on the rise, its a very tempting to get a box and see how it shoots (or doesn't shoot).

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
I'm not a great believer in taking chances on ammo that does this, and yes, this was with Ultramax ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts