MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine purchased a 9c after playing with my 9mm full size and was pleased with it. This is his first pistol and I was going to show him how easy it was to disassemble. Much to my surprise we couldn't get the slide off and can't tell what might be hanging it up. As far as I can tell the only thing it has on it is the mag disconnect but no other internal safety whereas my full size has nothing extra on it.

I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Magazine is removed, right?

Can you put it completely back together and cycle the slide?

Did you pull the trigger when removing the slide, even if you already manually dropped the sear release?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Did you pull the slide to the rear before pushing the slide forward?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yipper, mag is out. The disconnect occurs automatically when the mag is removed but I did try to pull the trigger just to see if that might work. We never have gotten it apart yet.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Maybe I am stating the obvious but maybe not:

You did rotate the sear disconnect lever forward while you have the slide locked back, right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The disconnect wouldn't be holding the slide up. You should still try to manually move down the sear release though. That's a different lever than the mag disconnect. Pulling the trigger should release the sear though, although you still may want to manually move that lever just to see if it makes any difference.

I suppose it's possible that the recoil spring and guide slipped out of their little groove/channel on the bottem of the barrel. That's why I wondered whether you could put it back together and cycle the slide. If you can do that, you'll know the spring and guide are in the proper place on the barrel. If you can't get the slide back on all the way to cycle the gun, your spring/guide rod may have dropped down off the barrel and be hanging up inside the gun.

Only other thing I could recommend would be to pull the magazine, pull the slide back so it's latched on the slide catch lever, use a tool or your fingernail to reach into the breech and move the sear lever down, move the removal lever straight down, turn the gun upside down so the top of the slide is pointing downward and gently pull the slide back to release the slide catch, walk the slide off the frame rails with the gun inverted.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have stated the obvious but your message prompted me to take a look at it again. I mistakenly took the magazine safety lever as being the sear disconnect bar. :oops: Boy, do I feel stupid.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ske1eter said:
You may have stated the obvious but your message prompted me to take a look at it again. I mistakenly took the magazine safety lever as being the sear disconnect bar. :oops: Boy, do I feel stupid.

Thanks for the help guys.

Don't feel stupid. When these guns first came out I went to my local guns shop for a demo. The owner tried to disassemble it and couldn't. He called S&W on the phone and didn't get any help there. So he actually packed it up and sent it back to S&W. So you can now guess what the problem was. Since I have bought mine, I have never forgotten that episode and it reminds me that these things are a little different from most guns in disassembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts