MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I won a UniqueTek powder bar micrometer for my dillon powder bar. I just installed and calibrated it to several different brands of powder. Wow - what a useful addition to my reloading set up! I can "dial in " precise charge weights just by referencing a spreadsheet for that particular powder using the micrometer type settings. Of course I still have to weigh the charges to verify them but it sure cuts down on time and the frustrating guess work using the standard Dillon adjusting screw.

With Christmas around the corner it would be a great *hint* for that stocking stuffer. It sells for under $50 at UniqueTek's website. http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I'd love to have several since I have 4 Dillon powder measures, very convenient but a little on the expensive side.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I saw those and wondered how handy they might be and almost ordered one on day. I talked myself out of it because I really don't change my load very often at all and I keep a tool head for each caliber complete with powder measures.

But for Christmas I am holding out hope Santy brings me a KISS bullet feeder
if He doesnt he will be walking back to the north pole as I enjoy venison chili :twisted:

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
That's why I have 4 Dillon powder measures, my loads are established, and I have a dedicated tool head with powder measure for the 4 cartridges I load the most, it isn't very often that I get one of the tool heads out that doesn't have a powder measure, then I have to borrow one of the other ones.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
This thing would be cheaper than buying powder measures! If you can just dial it in, they switch over quick enough!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coltman1985 said:
This thing would be cheaper than buying powder measures! If you can just dial it in, they switch over quick enough!

I need to qualify something. I won this powderbar mic - I did not pay for it. After using it for the application that I use it for I should have purchased one a long time ago!

I'm into tinkering with loads using different combinations of powder and bullets. I'm looking for about 135 PF loads to shoot production in USPSA. The powderbar measure and a micrometer Hornady seating die really removed all the frustration of tweaking loads. Like others stated above if you are shooting x grains of x powder from now until the cows come home than this may not be for you. If you like to tinker with one or more calibers you may want to consider this as an option.

I'm sure you guys know how frustrating it is to try to guess how much to turn the standard powderbar adjusting screw to gain one or two grains of powder - same thing goes got the standard seating die - down a little -oops up a quarter turn-nope down a flat - you know the routine!

The powderbar measure really helps me out bigtime! Just by dumping/clearing the powder measure I can change to another powder brand and dial in a charge in no time at all. I bought a Hornady micrometer seating die that also allows me to save time setting up from one brand of bullet to the next. I just record the mic setting at the particular OAL that I want for each bullet brand and again in no time at all I'm up and running. Nod of the cap to Dan Burwell for the Hornady set up tip from a previous thread.

If anyone wants to review an excel spreadsheet of the calibration for a powder and how it works shoot me a PM with an email addy and I'll send along a few spreadsheets to give you some idea how this gizmo works.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
PM sent!

Sounds like this would make it easier to switch between my 4 fav. calibers, not to mention numerous loads/caliber.

Is it that accurate on a re-dial?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts