MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you weren't sure who he is, he's the guy who shot and killed two thieves after they broke into his neighbors home. It IS becoming a racial issue.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5346606.html

It is sad that this has to become a racial issue from the New Black Panthers.

Joe, if you happen to read this, I suport you 100%. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I admire those who supported Mr. Horn, especially the bikers; take back America we shall not submit to those who suppress our rights to self defense.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"It's really simple — don't break into people's houses and you won't get shot," said Kim Jackson

straight to the point.....

·
Registered
660 Posts
How did I know they would make this a racial thing...someone always makes it a racial thing. Some of the comments are funny as well. Yes people have the right to PERSUE happiness...there are no guarentees to happiness. If you do something illegal beware that you may forfit the right of life/liberty. Its so unfortunate what's happening to our country and to be honest sometimes I wonder why I serve when everything I believe in and swore to protect is being destroyed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
First, I would like to say that Joe did the right thing. Second of all to Fire1, thanks for your service and it does not go unnoticed. Not everything you have sworn to protect is being destroyed. There are still a lot of good people doing good things out there everyday. It just doesn't seem like it because that's not what the media reports. The media believes that good deeds don't get the ratings that crime gets them. So, all you here is crap like the Joe Horn story turned bad.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks for the pick me up I was just venting because it's so fusterating to have them ruin some old man's life because he shot some scum burglers. This man should be enjoying retirement or getting close to it. Now all he's worried about is going to jail and getting sued for everything he's worked for. It's not fair.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I can see this as a bad situation, they weren't threating life, but I'm happy he did it and I hope he is free'd. And to say that it was a racial thing, hmm.. I think if it were two Hispanic or white kids he would have been just as pissed to see this happen to a neighbor. But I can't speak for him personally, just me, and I don't care if your green, scum is scum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mixed Emotions

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I would love my neighbor to look after my house while I'm not there, I'm not sure I would want him shooting people he thought were breaking in while I wasn't even at home. This story is short on details but how sure was this guy that these people weren't house members. What if it was your kid climbing in a window after he locked himself out and your neighbor shot him or her.

The 911 call seems to indicate he wasn't really in any danger and was looking for a confrontation. I'm pretty much in favor of deadly force only when the life or you or yours is in danger. People shouldn't consider themselves LEO just because they carry a gun. Call the police and wait, taking a couple lives, possibly getting yourself killed, and most likely getting yourself into a heap of hot water for a couple TVs or DVDs just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fire1 said:
Thanks for the pick me up I was just venting because it's so fusterating to have them ruin some old man's life because he shot some scum burglers. This man should be enjoying retirement or getting close to it. Now all he's worried about is going to jail and getting sued for everything he's worked for. It's not fair.

From everything I've ever read, heard, or seen if a cop had shot these people in this situation he or she would have been in deep shite as well. You can't just shoot people who, I'm assuming, are standing in your neighbors yard, unarmed with his TV. Cops can't do it and neither should regular citizens be able to do it. IMO the one and only reason someone should be shooting someone to kill them is when the believe their life or the lives of those they are sworn to protect are in danger. We can't just have every jackhole with a gun shooting anyone that's committing a crime, that's called anarchy and I'm pretty sure no one here wants that.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I my self wouldn't shoot someone over stealing property...except maybe for stealing weapons. If that had happened to my next door neighbors I would have gone out there shotgun in hand as well. But if they run off I'd probably just let them run into the woods. Police dog would find them anyway. Joe Horn stated that they then approached him "his yard" he called it. At that point he was threatened, outnumbered, and both subjects were younger and in better shape than he was. We had a topic in here about a cop who pulled his gun on three people fighting only to have it taken away and put to his head. The only reason he lived is they didn't know how to work the safety (several times). If these two men approaced Mr. Horn in a threatening manner and entered his property then he was justified under desparity of force.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fire1 said:
I my self wouldn't shoot someone over stealing property...except maybe for stealing weapons. If that had happened to my next door neighbors I would have gone out there shotgun in hand as well. But if they run off I'd probably just let them run into the woods. Police dog would find them anyway. Joe Horn stated that they then approached him "his yard" he called it. At that point he was threatened, outnumbered, and both subjects were younger and in better shape than he was. We had a topic in here about a cop who pulled his gun on three people fighting only to have it taken away and put to his head. The only reason he lived is they didn't know how to work the safety (several times). If these two men approaced Mr. Horn in a threatening manner and entered his property then he was justified under desparity of force.

All I can say to that is he wouldn't have been threatened at all had he remained in his home like the 911 operator told him to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Mixed Emotions

Omikron said:
The 911 call seems to indicate he wasn't really in any danger and was looking for a confrontation.

I went back an read the 911 transcipt.... that wasnt good what he said....

The man called 9-1-1 when he saw two men climb out a window of his neighbor's home in the Village Grove East subdivision Wednesday. Then he proceeded to ignore the operator's instructions.

Operator: "I've got officers coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house, and I don't want you to have that gun in your hand when those officers are poking around out there."

Caller: "I understand that, but I have a right to protect myself too, sir."

Despite several warnings from a 9-1-1 operator to stay in his home, police said the man took matters into his own hands and confronted two burglars who had just broken into a house next door.

Caller: "Here it goes, buddy." (sound of shotgun pumping) "You hear the shotgun clicking, and I'm going."

Operator: "Don't go outside." (sound of shotgun pumping)

On the 911 tape, you can hear the man becoming upset as he describes seeing two men leaving his neighbor's home.

Caller: "They got a bag of something."

Operator: "Don't go outside the house."

Caller: "I'm doing it."

Operator: "Mr. (blank), do not go outside the house."

Caller: "I'm sorry. This ain't right, buddy."

Operator: You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with the gun."

Caller: "You wanna make a bet? I'm going to kill them."

Moments later, in a portion of the tape we chose not to air, a shotgun was heard firing at least twice. Both suspects died at the scene. Police later found a pillowcase stuffed with hundreds of dollars.

In the aftermath, the 9-1-1 operator tried to get a handle on the situation.

Operator: "Put that gun down before you shoot an officer of mine. I've got several officers out there without uniforms on."

Caller: "I'm in the front yard right now."

Operator: "Put that gun down!"

Police said the investigation into whether or not the shooter acted appropriately is ongoing.

This is a tough one..... but I still refer back to my earlier quote... "It's really simple — don't break into people's houses and you won't get shot," said Kim Jackson

·
Registered
937 Posts
As stated numerous times, Texas law is on his side. Burglury is a dangerous game, and I feel that if Texas law was present in most states, there's be a lot less crime, as the penalties for such crimes are much more detering than they are in those places now. From the transcript, you can feel his frustration. The police are 20 minutes away, the BG's will be gone before they get there, and it's his neighbor's hard earned property. Even if they were caught, they'd get a few months in jail and be back out on the street to commit more crime. If Mr. Horn is guilty of anything, it's telling the operator too much.

I have no sympathy for the two burglers. They chose to commit a crime that could have resulted in the home-owners being injured, raped, or killed, so they thereby relinquish any right they had to continue living. It the chance they take. Do you suppose if death by home owner (with no penalties for the owner) were a possibility in every house, criminals might not commit the crime, or at least think twice? Mr Horn has to live with his decision to shoot, and that's penalty enough in this case.

As for those morons trying to make a race-case out of this, they're freaking idiots. They're just trying to get attention because they don't have real jobs doing real things that make this country better. Jesse Jackson's the same way. He sees a white on black race crime in every black corpse. Personally, I think the only vestiges of racism exist today because some people won't let the past go. We could all get along if Jackson would just shut the hell up and quit reminding people that we are different in color, not in species.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
They chose to commit a crime that could have resulted in the home-owners being injured, raped, or killed, so they thereby relinquish any right they had to continue living.

Not sure but last time I checked burglary didn't carry the death penalty as a sentence, so I'm not sure what you logic is here. Are you saying anyone who commits a home burglary should be killed? What is this Iran, next thing you know will be putting people in jail for naming their teddy bears Jesus. Come on people, this is America, not Darfur.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Omikron said:
[quote name='FieroCDSP']They chose to commit a crime that could have resulted in the home-owners being injured, raped, or killed, so they thereby relinquish any right they had to continue living.

Not sure but last time I checked burglary didn't carry the death penalty as a sentence, so I'm not sure what you logic is here. Are you saying anyone who commits a home burglary should be killed? What is this Iran, next thing you know will be putting people in jail for naming their teddy bears Jesus. Come on people, this is America, not Darfur.[/quote]

I think what he is saying is that if these scumbags are willing to break into your house and you happen to be home, what would stop them from causing bodily harm to you and your family.... Are you gonna wait til he sticks his penis in your 10 year old daughter before you decide to pump him full of lead..... criminals are criminals.... If I wake up in the middle of the night to a burglar in my house there is only going to be one story the next day...... mine....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Omikron said:
[quote name='FieroCDSP']They chose to commit a crime that could have resulted in the home-owners being injured, raped, or killed, so they thereby relinquish any right they had to continue living.

Not sure but last time I checked burglary didn't carry the death penalty as a sentence, so I'm not sure what you logic is here. Are you saying anyone who commits a home burglary should be killed? What is this Iran, next thing you know will be putting people in jail for naming their teddy bears Jesus. Come on people, this is America, not Darfur.[/quote]The people of Texas made the decision that they have had enough of crime and that shooting and killing a thief has a positive impact on society. It wasn't the course of action that I would have chosen but I wasn't there. So while you're comparing Texas to darfur I suggest you solicit Sean Taylor's feelings on burglars... oh wait we can't anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Omikron said:

Not sure but last time I checked burglary didn't carry the death penalty as a sentence, so I'm not sure what you logic is here. Are you saying anyone who commits a home burglary should be killed? What is this Iran, next thing you know will be putting people in jail for naming their teddy bears Jesus. Come on people, this is America, not Darfur.[/quote]

In Texas Burglary can carry a death penalty.

Texas Law

§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is

justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or

tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the

other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the

deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of

arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the

nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing

immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated

robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the

property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or

recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to

protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or

another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

·
Registered
58 Posts
TranquilDeath said:
and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or

recovered by any other means

Was this guy reasonably sure the property couldn't have been recovered by other means? Texas law withstanding I still think this guy was way out of line, I don't think you should be able to shoot someone in the back while they are running away from your neighbors house with a pillow case full of crap. That's not the kind of society I want to live in. Where does the line get drawn, when you can shoot someone who isn't presenting you with the prospect of bodily harm things get really grey. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts